Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS !!!!!!!

Comments

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    @Terrebandit ~ What is your Egg setup? Do you have a table? .... just curious.

no. Got a large in a nest.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • @Terrebandit ~ sounds like your only options would be to go underneath the Egg or hang it from the handle. I'm sure you could easily come up with something.
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • mokadir
    mokadir Posts: 115
    I've had the 110 for about 2 years. Set it, forget it.. Very little tinkering with the damper or the daisy wheel after you've used it once or twice. KISS design.
    Delaware Valley, PA Large BGE, CGS adjustable rig, iQue110, High-Que grate
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    mokadir said:
    I've had the 110 for about 2 years. Set it, forget it.. Very little tinkering with the damper or the daisy wheel after you've used it once or twice. KISS design.

I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • I will never be without A DigiQ DX2 or whatever they replace it with... Perhaps wireless monitoring? Nah.. What's the point. I trust it. Lay your coals correctly set it, light your fire and forget it. 12, 14, 16 hours no problem .... And no I have never bumped into the pit viper.. It's out of the way and protected by the table.
  • mimauler
    mimauler Posts: 136
    Can I run the probe wires under the lid....will the lid damage the wires in any way?
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    mimauler said:
    Can I run the probe wires under the lid....will the lid damage the wires in any way?
    Sure, as long as you have a gasket.  If you're running without a gasket you should probably get one, or run the wire(s) through the chimney cap.
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    According to Pitmasters description, this unit is capable of cooking at 225 degrees on one load of charcoal for up to 8 hours!

8 hours? That's it? Really?

What if I have a 12 hour Boston Butt cook? What then?
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • stlcharcoal
    SoCalTim said:
    According to Pitmasters description, this unit is capable of cooking at 225 degrees on one load of charcoal for up to 8 hours!

That's probably for a Weber or some other non-insulated smoker.

I've gone 30 hrs in my Large BGE with a full load of charcoal......with and without a temp controller.  The temp controller really doesn't have anything to do with the endurance.  All it does is keep the temp constant by regulating the airflow (what you would normally do with the draft door and daisy wheel otherwise.

• Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    We are also looking at controllers. We have the Maverick already, but would there be a reason to choose the IQ120 instead of the IQ110? Any advantages to choosing one over the other?
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • stlcharcoal
    Dredger said:
    We are also looking at controllers. We have the Maverick already, but would there be a reason to choose the IQ120 instead of the IQ110? Any advantages to choosing one over the other?
    Email sent.
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Who manufactures the pitmaster?  I am looking to move away from the guru folks for a few reasons.
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Who manufactures the pitmaster?  I am looking to move away from the guru folks for a few reasons.
    This is the manufacturers website:

...but if you are interested, hit up @stlcharcoal in a PM.  He will save you some cash and he is a pleasure to deal with. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• stlcharcoal

It's a company called Digital Power & Motion.  They make all kinds of controls for elevators, automatic car washes, etc and the owner has a BBQ competition team.  It was a no brainer for them to make their own unit, so they perfect it on the competition circuit then started selling it.

They're a local company (for me), and I've gotten to know them over the years.

Guru makes some good stuff too, they're just not my neighbors like Pitmaster is.

• SoCalTim said:

Quit worrying! The PitMaster will speak for itself. :D
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824

Quit worrying! The PitMaster will speak for itself. :D

How do you like your PitMaster?  which model do you have?
    NOLA
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Cost
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • buzd504 said:

How do you like your PitMaster?  which model do you have?

It's alright ... not sure on the model
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    @RickyBobby, Are you sure you don't drive a race car for PitMasters or @sticharcoal ? LOL - just kidding
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • @RickyBobby, Are you sure you don't drive a race car for PitMasters or @sticharcoal ? LOL - just kidding

SHAKE N BAKE BABY! SHAKE N BAKE! :-bd
  • Only way I can see ever wanting/needing a different pit controller would be to go with a WiFi unit ... and maybe PitMaster will release a WiFi unit someday. WiFi is complete overkill for me @ this point, though. I'm a simple man that requires simple solutions! KISS! ;)
  • dlosapio
    dlosapio Posts: 12
    edited February 2014
    You really think there are no DigiQs out there that they've had some issues with? 
    Come on man, I didn't say that. But I haven't run into a single person yet that has regretted purchasing the DX2. Obviously you're a huge Pitmaster fanboy, but I was trying to pass on my opinion and research to those interested, and I was pretty complimentary of both controllers. 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    This is in a spirit of respect. I looked at the Pm and digiq before buying. Gotta great deal on the digiq and went that route. Honestly I wouldn't have bought the Pm because it looks like a piece of crap.. like a homemade one. I'm not saying it is... just to me, by looks it appears cheaper than the other ones. Did someone mention it has no digital readout?

Secondly I'm sure you realize when typing bold letters it means you're screaming or speaking very loudly. I haven't been that excited since I saw my first playboy mag. I can't believe you don't have something vested in the product. I'm not saying you do or that I care.

Finally..it's not personal just my opinion. I've always enjoyed your stuff on here and will continue to.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • No harm No foul fellas. :\"> I'm in same boat as @stlcharcoal in the fact that it's a somewhat local company. That's all. I like using local products ... kinda why I support @stlcharcoal too! I really think folks should be more interested in performance & functionality over looks every time though. Oh, and my IQ120 has a digital display. Sorry if this post offended people. It wasn't meant to "push" a product. I have ZERO connections and/or ties with the PitMaster products. I'll try to never get excited about a product again for the sake of this forum. And @henapple ~ I very much enjoy your posts.
  • stlcharcoal
    henapple said:
     Honestly I wouldn't have bought the Pm because it looks like a piece of crap..
    You should have seen the looks and heard comments I got about my Big Green Egg 20-yrs ago.
  • henapple
    No offense at all. I read an article where cigar smokers are first attracted to the band. They spend thousands of dollars for companies to design an alluring band. It has nothing to do with the quality of the stick. Same with a car.. hell, the same with people. It's good to support your local b&m.. Jonathan is a good guy.
  • stlcharcoal

henapple said:
     I read an article where cigar smokers are first attracted to the band. They spend thousands of dollars for companies to design an alluring band.

....or lump charcoal bags.  Don't ask how much :((

But I figured the best lump need a kick a$$ bag.

• henapple said:
     Honestly I wouldn't have bought the Pm because it looks like a piece of crap..
    You should have seen the looks and heard comments I got about my Big Green Egg 20-yrs ago.
    Haha! My wife was skeptical at first but once she ate something that came off of it....
  • henapple

henapple said:

I read an article where cigar smokers are first attracted to the band. They spend thousands of dollars for companies to design an alluring band.

I like the ones that say ...charcoal
  • stlcharcoal
    henapple said:

henapple said:

I like the ones that say ...charcoal

Maybe in 20 yrs if we're that famous we can do a "throwback" version with those.  LOL

I have a few of those old bags left in my garage if you REALLY want them.  That's the "vintage" stuff though......it's going to cost you.