Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Pork for 200?

DMW
DMW Posts: 13,832
Have a question for the wise... 
Friends of our are in the lengthy process of adopting a special needs child from China. Asked if I would be interested in doing pulled pork for a fund raiser to help with expenses. Of course I said yes, let's figure out logistics. 

The plan is to have take out meals they would make available to their church and sign up would be beforehand so we will have an exact count. My question is I have 1 XL egg with extender and 1 Small Egg as well. I've been trying to figure out if there would be any way to fit it all on the XL and Small and not sure I would be able to. I'm thinking I'll need about 85 pounds of raw meat weight. Even if I did manage to really fill up the XL and cram them all in, I'm guessing that the top butts and outside on the lower grid would finish before whatever is in the middle, perhaps too long for FTC. 

Anyone with experience with this much? If I can't do it all in one run, I could do half on Saturday during the day and the next half overnight. I'm thinking pull and cool the first batch after a rest. What would be the best way to reheat this much? Foil pans with a bit of apple cider vinegar added into a low heat oven the next morning? And then should I pull the fresh batch after a bit of FTC and mix the day old reheat in with the fresh?

Thanks in advance,
DMW
They/Them
Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker

Comments

• jscarfo
    jscarfo Posts: 405
    Turbo all of them a few days in advance, don't cram them in wrap in foil and stick in fridge heat them up on game day
  • DMW
    edited February 2014
    jscarfo said:
    Turbo all of them a few days in advance, don't cram them in wrap in foil and stick in fridge heat them up on game day
    So wrap them and in the fridge before pulling? Reheat them whole then? If so, best way to reheat whole?

Thanks,

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566

How many pounds are you cooking?

I put whole cooked butts in the fridge once and will never do it again.

Cook them in advance and pull them to save yourself the trouble of reheating and then pulling them. Trying to mess with them while they are cold is a royal pain in the BUTT, pun intended.

If you can pull and vacuum seal them, it will stay good for a long time in the freezer.

• DMW

How many pounds are you cooking?

I put whole cooked butts in the fridge once and will never do it again.

Cook them in advance and pull them to save yourself the trouble of reheating and then pulling them. Trying to mess with them while they are cold is a royal pain in the BUTT, pun intended.

If you can pull and vacuum seal them, it will stay good for a long time in the freezer.

I'm figuring about 85 pounds raw is what I'll need. I should have time to get it done the day/night before in 2 batches, so I won't need to freeze it. 

For reheating this amount, foil pans with a bit of liquid in a 200* oven?

How about electric roasters?

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• finster
    finster Posts: 136
    I would cook, pull while warm, cool as fast as possible.  Reheat (with a little cola?)at 200 sounds good.
    MBGE in Charleston

• Hungry Joe
    I've heard and have used coke, the real thing is best. I serve my pulled pork with a sauce I make that helps with moisture. If it is the next day like you are doing I add the coke. 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    By my calculations, I think you might need about 112 lbs of pork.  That is based on 1/3 lb per person, assuming you loose 40% (60% yield).   111.11 to be exact.  

So, that is around 13 8 lb butts.  No problem on the XL in two shifts.  I have always pulled the pork while hot like Hungry Joe said.  I think your original plan sounds fine.  Normally I like to food save, but dayum that is a lot of pork to deal with.  I think I would just fill up foil pans with pulled pork, mix in vinegar based sauce, cover with foil, refrigerate.  When it is time to reheat you can take the pans out of the fridge and into the oven.   Once the pork is warm you can hold it in the oven on the lowest setting. 

The only thing is that once the pork is pulled it won't stay hot as long.  Are you planning to be at the church where people will pick up the food, and if so will you have a way to reheat it there?  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• DMW
    By my calculations, I think you might need about 112 lbs of pork.  That is based on 1/3 lb per person, assuming you loose 40% (60% yield).   111.11 to be exact.  

So, that is around 13 8 lb butts.  No problem on the XL in two shifts.  I have always pulled the pork while hot like Hungry Joe said.  I think your original plan sounds fine.  Normally I like to food save, but dayum that is a lot of pork to deal with.  I think I would just fill up foil pans with pulled pork, mix in vinegar based sauce, cover with foil, refrigerate.  When it is time to reheat you can take the pans out of the fridge and into the oven.   Once the pork is warm you can hold it in the oven on the lowest setting. 

The only thing is that once the pork is pulled it won't stay hot as long.  Are you planning to be at the church where people will pick up the food, and if so will you have a way to reheat it there?  

Thanks for the suggestions. I was using number of sandwiches/2.4 for how much pork to start with. I think that is for 4 oz sandwiches. The church has a kitchen, so if reheating I will plan on doing that onsite. I need to find out how many ovens they have.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• I like what @SmokeyPitt says, never dealt with that much, but it makes sense to me. I was trying to think what +100 pounds of pulled pork would look like in foil pans crammed into an oven, hopefully the venue (church if I understood it right) has enough oven space....Good Luck man, great cause. With the proud parents all the best with the wee one. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Hungry Joe
    edited February 2014

Every time I served this sauce every person has said it is the best pulled pork they ever had.

I adjust the pepper to suite the crowd but it is not a spicy as it seems like it should be. I've gone more pepper and less, I like it best the way it is written.

I also cook it longer sometimes.

Also this is good for up to 32+ pounds before cooked pork

1 Large onion diced fine
    3 tablespoons minced garlic
    1 16 oz can diced tomatoes
    1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
    3 tablespoons cayenne pepper ?
    1 cup apple cider vinegar
    3 cups BBQ sauce
    Heat BGE to 250. Combine onion garlic pepper with some oil and simmer ½ hour.
    Add cider vinegar and BBQ sauce.  Simmer additional ½ hour. Pour over pulled pork.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited February 2014
    DMW said:

Thanks for the suggestions. I was using number of sandwiches/2.4 for how much pork to start with. I think that is for 4 oz sandwiches. The church has a kitchen, so if reheating I will plan on doing that onsite. I need to find out how many ovens they have.

Now that I think about it more 1/4 lb sammich would probably work fine for something like this since you are controlling the portion size of the pork, especially if they are gonna have lots of other sides/food. 

One other suggestion is you could get one of those sterno/steam tables with the wire frames and disposable pans.  They won't reheat the food, but I think they will keep the pulled pork warm.  Good luck!  Should be fun ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    Your friends are fortunate to have you in their lives. Awesome gesture. Good luck with the cook.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    I did 63# for approx 100 and there was virtually nothing left. We did plates. I smoked in 2 batches over 2 days and pulled and refrigerated. Reheated with apple juice in tins. Big hit.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414

DMW said:

Now that I think about it more 1/4 lb sammich would probably work fine for something like this since you are controlling the portion size of the pork, especially if they are gonna have lots of other sides/food. 

One other suggestion is you could get one of those sterno/steam tables with the wire frames and disposable pans.  They won't reheat the food, but I think they will keep the pulled pork warm.  Good luck!  Should be fun ;)

I've done the sterno/steam trays for a party of 40 and they worked quite well to keep the pork hot. Just be sure to keep them covered if you go this route; it will dry out otherwise.
  • DMW
    Thanks everyone. Planning to serve March 23, so I might do some test runs where I cook/cool/reheat on a single butt and see what I think will work best.

@4Runner Did you reheat in tins in an oven?

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• A quarter pound per person if you are "catering" works. If they want more they pay. I would go with more if you can in case they do.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mross
    Mross Posts: 338
    I have done pulled pork for crowds before.

I always cook and pull day before storing in full size steam table pans.. The day of the event reheat in a 250 to 300 degree oven with a little water and apple juice.

The pork always comes out moist and flavorful. If you are doing take out meals chances are it will be cold by the time they get it home anyway and they will just nuke it anyway.

Do not over think this and make it as simple on yourself as possible.

Another suggestion is if you are making sandwiches get an appropriate sized ice cream scooper to portion the pork on the sandwiches.
    Duncan, SC
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Or get Little Steven...His hands are good for 4 oz
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Last year I cooked 16 butts - turbo cooked on the large. Pulled, cooled and packed the pork in food saver bags with a little broth. SIL heated the pork in tins on a grill but if you packed in foodsaver you could heat them up in a cooler with hot water. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • bo_mull
    bo_mull Posts: 363
    A couple months ago I did pulled pork for a wedding. I pulled it and put it in foodsaver bags ahead of time 3 lbs per bag. We reheated the bags one at a time in the microwave for 4 to 5 minutes. Turned out great.

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

• DMW
    The total count is 227 takeout meals. Just leaving Restaurant Depot with 116 pounds of boneless butt, some foam takeout trays, and Royal Oak. Gonna be a busy weekend.image
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• probe1957
    probe1957 Posts: 222
    I would get an Egghead friend or two...and a case of beer or two....to help.
  • crf158
    crf158 Posts: 12
    Large BGE available to cook about 45min west of you if needed
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Great idea for a fundraiser. I'm surprised nobody suggested a microwave for reheating. Every time I do pulled pork I store a bunch of it in the freezer in 1-portion size sandwich bags. I pop it in the microwave for 45 seconds and it's near identical to the fresh off the FTC stuff.

If I were you I would do 2 batches, store in serving trays, then reheat in oven. I've also never had issue with it drying out as long is it's covered tightly, without putting a liquid in there. I have tried both ways, and Dr. Pepper is pretty good too.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Have fun man! Very cool fundraiser. Our twins are adopted, so we know a little bit about what it takes fiancially. Your community is lucky to have people like you living in it!

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• setdahook
    setdahook Posts: 284
    I have done the reheat method and works just fine. My preferred liquid is apple juice and if you need to you can always add a touch more rub to taiste. Awesome that your doing this!
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited March 2014
    Any "oh crap" emergency questions, call me anytime...even if it's 4am. I just PM'd you my cell.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Enjoy the cook and the event man, should be a hit and hope everything goes well!!
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • How well do you know your BGE dealer? I'm wondering if you could get a loaner egg for the weekend (being a fundraiser). I know that if I were a dealer and someone bought a egg or two for me I would set some guidelines and then be happy to help. After all your an egger so you can't be half bad. lol! If not do you know any other eggers that might help?
  • plumbfir01
    plumbfir01 Posts: 725
    I dont want to sound crazy but you could always consider renting a smoker and do them all at once with a few extra for sale as you smoke... same principals and still works well. We do it here at the firehouse and all i use is my thermapen. Everything else is rented and still turns out the same great way. A lodge may have one to rent, but we use one of the MWRs on base here. 
    Beaufort, SC