Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

38 Days to Salado Reminder

Options
The Countdown to Salado continues, and here's the latest news:

1. There are only 38 days left to Salado. Important, because they pass quickly.

2. 89 folks have already pre-registered to attend, with 50 being Cooks/Helpers

3. At least 8 States and probably 4 Countries will be represented.

4. We expect to have about 30 Demo Eggs available (large only).

5. Demo Eggs are available for pre-purchase @ $759.00 plus tax (order now)

6. Mini Eggs are available for pre-purchase @ $299.00 plus tax (order now)

7. Big Green Egg EGGcessories and lump is $20% off retail price. (order now)

8. There has already been mention of some new and exciting foods being cooked.

9. Irish Green and Celtic Kilts are encouraged to be worn.

10. Drawings will be held for door prizes that include 4 Mimi Eggs.

Remember, you can register at any time. It's free. Click the link below to register:

http://saladoregistration.blogspot.com/

See you in Salado...

Spring "Fest Scribe" Chicken
Spring Texas USA

Comments

• Angus1978
    Options
    Do ya'll put out a cookbook every year?  I saw some other EggFests do that and got me curious.
    LBGE and Primo XL Plano TX All right all right alllll riight
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Ok, I think I've decided on what I will cook. Top secret stuff. Will try a rehearsal cook to work out any kinks.

For folks who registered as cooks, how do we find out whether we were assigned an egg to cook on?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    Options
    Oh and how many portions should cooks plan on serving?

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    And to all who are lucky enough to attend/participate remember "Beware, the Ides of March."  :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Spring Chicken
    Options

Angus1978, we tried to a couple of years in a row but neither promises of a good life or heavy-handed threats to talk bad about them generated many responses.  So I just gave up with the idea.

There was a time when Eggfests, even Eggtoberfest, were small enough to make it happen but things change.  WessB used to maintain a nice list on his web site, and I think Egret manages to get some contributors for the Georgia Mountain Eggfest. 

It's a shame too.  There are a lot of really good recipes cooked at all of the Eggfests around the country.

If you check the 'Recipes' section of both Forums, you will find many of the recipes there.  And you can always ask, "Hey... The handsome guy in the Kilt at the Salado Eggfest. Do you have the recipe for those 'heart-stoppers' you made?"   There may be four or five of us who will think you're talking to us, but we'll tell you something...

I notice a lot of cooks will display their recipes at Eggfests, or even have copies to hand out.  I like that but I usually forget to do it myself.  Shame on me.  I'll try harder next time.

Thanks for asking the question.

Spring "Some To-Do's Are Hard To Remember And Some Are Hard To Forget" Chicken

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    edited February 2014
    Options

caliking... Since we have no idea what time you will arrive at the Eggfest site, Demo Eggs are pretty much a 'first-come-first-cook' thing. 

I suggest you get there first, wander around meeting and greeting and watching and eating until you are settled in and ready to cook.  By then someone will be finished with their Demo Egg and you can take over to cook your food. 

Please don't try cooking ten different items or things that take a long time to cook.  Like all Eggfests, we only have a few hours of actual cook time before we have to shut the Demo Eggs down to cool so the new owners can take them home.

If you have multiple items to cook, you might consider splitting your day up some.  The whole idea is to have fun.  If you're working your kilt off cooking all day, you're missing out on a lot of that fun.

Although we expect to have as many as 30 pre-sold Demo Eggs, we also expect to have as many as 75 cook teams.  Obviously, we've got to share the Demo Eggs.

Some Eggheads bring their own Eggs so they don't have to worry about it. 

So far, it really hasn't been a problem.

Your followup question: How many servings?

We estimate up to 400 Attendees.  Most will want to eat anything cooked on the Egg, but some will just eat a few items they find interesting.  Figuring there will be 60 Cooks, most of whom will provide between 40 and 100 servings of from two different items, we can expect the number of servings to total in the thousands. 

A lot depends on what you're cooking and how fast you can cook and serve it.  Best bet is to keep it simple and serve somewhere between 50 and 75 servings of each type food you will be cooking. 

We're not there to 'feed' the crowd, just 'tease' them enough to know how well the Egg cooks food.

See you in Salado.

Spring "Fest Scribe" Chicken

• caliking
    Options
    Got it. My cook will need about an hour on the egg, less if the egg is already lit.

If necessary, I'll elbow @henapple out of the way and grab his egg.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    caliking said:
    Got it. My cook will need about an hour on the egg, less if the egg is already lit. If necessary, I'll elbow @henapple out of the way and grab his egg.
    Go with the "Ides of March" reference so we can hear him say "Et tu, Cali-te?"
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I won't be cooking.. I'll be working for @Mickey and @Cazzy. Loading eggs, setting up lights, washing dishes and opening drinks for @Cazzy. He might allow me to do some of the prep work.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options

Mr Chicken please find @henapple some Staff Credentials. Oh, we don have Staff Credentials?

Then someone please get henapple another drink and lay him under a bush if he removes his clothing again with-out having a dress (kilt) to  put on. Damn that was hard to explain last year to the cops at the elementary school.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Spring Chicken
    Options

Being St. Patty's Day weekend and with people from Ireland in attendance, we could assign him to the Ginearálta Flunky Team.  It comes with a built-in title, job description and pecking order.

Spring "Assignments And Titles Coordinator" Chicken

Spring Texas USA

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    henapple said:
    I won't be cooking.. I'll be working for @Mickey and @Cazzy. Loading eggs, setting up lights, washing dishes and opening drinks for @Cazzy. He might allow me to do some of the prep work.
    This makes no sense.

I was under the impression that you and Mickey were the amalgamation of Cazzy. 

Then, I google "cazzy" and find out you are some douche-y Czech rapper.

My world view is ruined.

• Little Steven
    Options
    caliking said:
    Got it. My cook will need about an hour on the egg, less if the egg is already lit. If necessary, I'll elbow @henapple out of the way and grab his egg.

I was hoping we could make rogan josht together.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    caliking said:

Wrong answer.  Treat him like your slave the way Mickey does... or the way I treated my son last year.  Once the eggs are in position and lit there really isn't a lot for him to do until it is time to move stuff for the afterparty.  Teach him how to do all the prep work and then have him do it continuously for 5 hours or so.  In the meantime you do the "cooking"/serving/mingling, etc and take all the credit for what comes off the egg.

As long as there is a cooler full of cold PBR below your prep table you are set.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• caliking
    Options
    @Foghorn - your kid put everyone else to shame last year. A cooler full of PBR and @henapple will probably be so far down the gutter we'll have to winch him out. 

caliking said:

I was hoping we could make rogan josht together.
    I'm game if you are! 

But we've been down this road before... rogan josh is the dish, gosht is the meat. No "t" in "josh" and no "j" in "gosht" :) For some dishes, gosht is in the name (palak gosht, dal gosht), but not for rogan josh.

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited February 2014
    Options
    I'll bring the spice mix but I'm not keen on putting a do in my luggage. I'll buy lamb when we get to town. I did that on purpose BTW :D

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• caliking
    Options
    I figured - the clarification was more so that others wouldn't get the wrong idea!

I have a couple of DO's - you want me to bring them? We'll be driving up, and  I can pack them in my car with the rest of my stuff. Let me know.

• Little Steven
    Options
    Yeah, It's taken me about an hour and a half start to finish when I've done it at other fests. Will Texas Folk like the flavours?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    Yeah, It's taken me about an hour and a half start to finish when I've done it at other fests. Will Texas Folk like the flavours?
    Not when you spell it like that. I will, but I'm from Maryland.
  • caliking
    Options
    I think there is a good chance that they will. If not, we'll have more left for the afterparty - cook a pot of rice and Bob's your uncle.

• Little Steven
    Options
    So you saw what I did just there.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    I did. More for me.  B-)
  • Little Steven
    Options
    caliking said:
    I think there is a good chance that they will. If not, we'll have more left for the afterparty - cook a pot of rice and Bob's your uncle.
    Do they have a way to cook rice? Electricity, rice coooke stove

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    caliking said:
    Boil it on the egg. Rookie...
  • caliking
    Options
    So high tech... We just need fire, water rice, and a pot to cook it in. We could even make pulao.

• Little Steven
    Options
    I am a very considerate guy. I didn't want to take up another egg for the rice. No problem getting good basmati there?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• travisstrick
    Options
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    caliking said:
    henapple is in charge of Electricity at the Hotel. Please suck up to him
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Little Steven
    Options
    Mic, you must have a propane burner or something.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• caliking
    Options
    I'll bring the basmati and other stuff to make pulao.