Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Some wings last night

Went to the butcher yesterday and got some wings. He takes them off 5-7 lb birds so they are a nice size. Grilled raised direct, sauced with a blend of roasted garlic, butter and Franks.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

Comments

• Got some going now @cazzy style, they are smelling great!
    Large BGE Middletown, MD

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• pantsypants
    pantsypants Posts: 1,191
    oh lookin good !!

whats with you being able to post pics ?
    Toronto
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Here's my batch tonight.image
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Still cold?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727

Kinda OT - You can post pics again? Awesome! How many cooks have we missed pictures of?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • I should have taken either some grill shots or finished product shots but busted out some wings for the first time on my BGE at 325-350 for about 35-40 minutes, tossed them in a simple sauce of Franks, butter, honey, onion powder, garlic powder and the venerable black pepper and them threw them back on the grill to crispy-fy those suckers.  This is the tossing in the sauce stage.  They turned out freaking great.  I threw some Mesquite chunks in as well which may or may not have helped but the smoke flavor was prevalent even in the hot sauce. \

I'd probably make the sauce a little less spicy for general tastes and probably smoke for less and crisp a little longer.  Still, pretty awesome for a first time.   
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• caliking said:

Kinda OT - You can post pics again? Awesome! How many cooks have we missed pictures of?

Yes I can. Carolina Q simplified the process for my little brain to handle. I can't copy and paste from photobucket anymore. You didn't miss any pics cause I stopped taking them. It seems to take forever when I am loading from "my pictures" so I guess I have to downsize the files.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Estebanito, is it your interwebs? I was uploading 20MB files off of my T3i with only a bit slower speed than when I upload 3-4MB files from my phone. I realize I could downsize them to make the page easier to load for others, but meh, I'm a misanthrope.
  • It might be. We are in the boonies and can't get cable, we had satellite but it went out every time it snowed. DSL line now but it doesn't seem real quick.

imageimageimageimageimageimage

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Eggcelsior
    DSL is the answer.
  • I have DSL but it's possible that it didn't get reconnected properly the last time I cut it. I found the same thing at work though. After I select a pic it takes a good two or three minutes to be ready to insert it. I tried editing to smaller files and it was a bit quicker. I'll bring another (new) laptop at home tomorrow and try it.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Hi Steve. Maybe try hitting the "insert picture" button only once? Just trying to be helpful because that's what I do.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Thanks Fred! I hit it once, nothing happened. Hit it again...same thing. Then I punched it really hard and all this **** happened.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Love, love the plating (all of them). White plate and colorful food. Yum. I tend to eat with my eyes but most of the time my mouth gets in the way! ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Steve, looks great. In you pic they almost look a little crispy. Did you use a little corn starch for binding.

Suntree, FL

• Yes, I put some rub and cornstarch in a bag and did the shake'n'bake thing. That is my usual method as is the raised direct cook. They turn out very crispy.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Eggcelsior
    Yes, I put some rub and cornstarch in a bag and did the shake'n'bake thing. That is my usual method as is the raised direct cook. They turn out very crispy.
    I do this but with baking powder, which in effect, is cornstarch but is weakly alkaline so it promotes browning and crisping.
  • Yes, I put some rub and cornstarch in a bag and did the shake'n'bake thing. That is my usual method as is the raised direct cook. They turn out very crispy.

Goint to do the raised direct for the next wings. Temp and time approimately?
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Raised direct is the best for wings!  Nice looking wings LS!  I always add cornstarch too as I really prefer the texture it gives.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Eggcelsior
    edited February 2014
    Yes, I put some rub and cornstarch in a bag and did the shake'n'bake thing. That is my usual method as is the raised direct cook. They turn out very crispy.

I do 190-204 indirect or maybe 3.8 lower direct. See what I did there? Usually takes 45 minutes to 1 hour.

Also, if you remember, let the wings sit 6 hours to overnight in the fridge uncovered. Really helps with the crispy factor and the final colour.

I don't really pay attention but usually 350 - 400* for 45 minutes or so. I like to get the big wings so I can really cook them.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

I do 190-204 indirect or maybe 3.8 lower direct. See what I did there? Usually takes 45 minutes to 1 hour.

Also, if you remember, let the wings sit 6 hours to overnight in the fridge uncovered. Really helps with the crispy factor and the final colour.
    I saw it twice

Steve 

Caledon, ON