Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket too fast

Options
I was cooking a 18 lb brisket at 250* and it cooked way too fast. Both the maverick and dome were settled at right around 250 the whole time. I put the brisket on at 5 am and it was finished by 1:30 when I pulled it at 185-190 in multiple places. I had a water pan in and this just seems too fast. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Egghead_Daron
    Options
    If it's done it's done. Did a probe go in and out easily like probing butter? That seems a little shy of temps I would have expected but every cut and every piece finishes differently.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    as long as it probes in and out with no resistance in the thickest part of the flat you are good to go.  They all are a different monster, thats what makes them so much fun. 

• Egghead_Daron
    Options
    Oh and if it is too early, FTC it and you will be fine.
    Columbus IN
  • cali_egghead
    Options
    Is there a specific reason why its cooking so fast? I would rather have more smoke flavor and let it cook longer than a faster cook and less smoke. @Egghead_Daron @U_tarded
  • Egghead_Daron
    Options
    Nope. I have had similar sized briskeys go as quick as 6-7 hours and some go over 12. Every cut is just a whole different cook.
    Columbus IN
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    As the above posters mention-there are two key things with brisket and both made comments:  "It's done when it's done" and the best measure of when that occurs is when you can probe the thickest part of the flat (regardless of cooking a packer or stand-alone flat) both ways with little to no resistance.  
    Your 250*F dome temp should have pushed the nominal brisket cook time closer to 1 1/2-2 hrs/# but the hunk of beef is in charge.  We are just along for the ride.  Regardless, enjoy the eats!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • travisstrick
    Options
    The captain is a wealth of reason. Listen to what he says.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.