Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Brisket too fast

I was cooking a 18 lb brisket at 250* and it cooked way too fast. Both the maverick and dome were settled at right around 250 the whole time. I put the brisket on at 5 am and it was finished by 1:30 when I pulled it at 185-190 in multiple places. I had a water pan in and this just seems too fast. Any thoughts?
·

Comments

• If it's done it's done. Did a probe go in and out easily like probing butter? That seems a little shy of temps I would have expected but every cut and every piece finishes differently.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
    ·
  • U_tardedU_tarded Posts: 1,292
    as long as it probes in and out with no resistance in the thickest part of the flat you are good to go.  They all are a different monster, thats what makes them so much fun. 

·
  • Oh and if it is too early, FTC it and you will be fine.
    Columbus IN
    ·
  • Is there a specific reason why its cooking so fast? I would rather have more smoke flavor and let it cook longer than a faster cook and less smoke. @Egghead_Daron @U_tarded
    ·
  • Nope. I have had similar sized briskeys go as quick as 6-7 hours and some go over 12. Every cut is just a whole different cook.
    Columbus IN
    ·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,647
    As the above posters mention-there are two key things with brisket and both made comments:  "It's done when it's done" and the best measure of when that occurs is when you can probe the thickest part of the flat (regardless of cooking a packer or stand-alone flat) both ways with little to no resistance.  
    Your 250*F dome temp should have pushed the nominal brisket cook time closer to 1 1/2-2 hrs/# but the hunk of beef is in charge.  We are just along for the ride.  Regardless, enjoy the eats!
    Louisville   L & S BGEs 
    ·
  • The captain is a wealth of reason. Listen to what he says.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·