Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re halfway through National Barbecue Month and loving every minute of it. We hope you’ve had some time to try out some new recipes and enjoy a few old favorites as well. If you’d a couple tips on smoking meat, check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Have a great rest of May & get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Brisket too fast

I was cooking a 18 lb brisket at 250* and it cooked way too fast. Both the maverick and dome were settled at right around 250 the whole time. I put the brisket on at 5 am and it was finished by 1:30 when I pulled it at 185-190 in multiple places. I had a water pan in and this just seems too fast. Any thoughts?
·

Comments

• If it's done it's done. Did a probe go in and out easily like probing butter? That seems a little shy of temps I would have expected but every cut and every piece finishes differently.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
    ·
  • U_tardedU_tarded Posts: 1,263
    as long as it probes in and out with no resistance in the thickest part of the flat you are good to go.  They all are a different monster, thats what makes them so much fun. 

·
  • Oh and if it is too early, FTC it and you will be fine.
    Columbus IN
    ·
  • Is there a specific reason why its cooking so fast? I would rather have more smoke flavor and let it cook longer than a faster cook and less smoke. @Egghead_Daron @U_tarded
    ·
  • Nope. I have had similar sized briskeys go as quick as 6-7 hours and some go over 12. Every cut is just a whole different cook.
    Columbus IN
    ·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,230
    As the above posters mention-there are two key things with brisket and both made comments:  "It's done when it's done" and the best measure of when that occurs is when you can probe the thickest part of the flat (regardless of cooking a packer or stand-alone flat) both ways with little to no resistance.  
    Your 250*F dome temp should have pushed the nominal brisket cook time closer to 1 1/2-2 hrs/# but the hunk of beef is in charge.  We are just along for the ride.  Regardless, enjoy the eats!
    Louisville
    ·
  • The captain is a wealth of reason. Listen to what he says.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·