Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Never done this

Options
I have had large egg since '04 and last night about 6pm put two 7lb butts on with plate setter which I have done quite a lot. I had the Guru in and set pit in dome at 250 and I could never get it below 305 and that was a lot of work to do that. I practically had daisy wheel open to where a grain of salt could fit through and the damper of the fan extremely thin. I even shut it off for long periods of time to get it down. In all the years never have had this issue. Butts were done very quickly which is disappointing. Any thoughts? Also, how long can I leave butts wrapped in foil, toweled in cooler so the meat is safe to eat?

Comments

• Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    You will be surprised how long it stays quite warm, and pork is tolerant of heat.  I would try to contain it well to preserve moisture.  They would have to be at room temp for some time before they because suspect.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    How well is your dome seated? For some reason, my Eggs tend to unseal a little at the back, and unless I notice smoke coming from the gap, I don't know the airflow is larger than I expect.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Did the damper in your Guru get knocked open?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• TNJAKE
    Options
    Dome was seated pretty well. It does have a small gap where the two foiled probe lines went in. Did not see smoke coming out of that. Damper on Guru was never hit cause I checked on several occasions.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,330
    Options
    Any unusual high wind patterns?  As you well know, it's gotta be getting air from somewhere to make it behave like that.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.