Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Turbo Butt - Grate Temp Question

Options
jgrant50
jgrant50 Posts: 16
Doing my first Turbo butt today - been on the Egg for about 1.5 hours so far.  I put it on at a stable 350 dome temp.  Maverick and dome were within 10 degrees of each other for about 45 minutes or so.  Now dome is reading 350 stable, but the Maverick at the grate has gone as high as 400.  Should I just focus on dome temp?

Thanks.

-Jason

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Is your Maverick probe shielded from direct heat? I have had this happen before when I didn't have it placed just right

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Erichschwinn
    Options
    Hi, doing my first turbo butt today as well - Dome settled in at 350 and Maverick reads 310.  I would think the dome would be higher temp with a plate setter in use, correct?  Also I think it depends on where the probe is (over the plate setter or on the side, over coals).  Enjoy!
  • jgrant50
    Options
    Hi guys - the grate probe is directly over one of the ceramic legs of the plate setter towards the front of the egg.  I also started the fire towards the back.  Maybe I'll move it closer to the butt to see if it settles down.

Thanks!!
  • jgrant50
    Options
    Wow - what a difference and inch makes :)  I was able to barely crack it and slide the grate probe a little closer to the butt with my ash tool.  Didn't drop the dome temp at all, Maverick immediately came down to 361.  Anxiously awaiting 160 IT.

I'm thinking about not wrapping since I'm a stickler for good smoking bark.  Should I keep barreling through at 350 dome temp unwrapped, or do you think I may have an issue with the stall?  Plan on tearing into this thing around 4 or 5 pm, and only at 65 IT as of now.

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Keep plugging away at 350*. Forget bout the foil it is not needed. You may see a small stall but nothing to be concerned with.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • jgrant50
    Options
    Keep plugging away at 350*. Forget bout the foil it is not needed. You may see a small stall but nothing to be concerned with.
    Will do - thanks Mattman3969.  IT is at 85 now, so progressing nicely.  I'll be posting pics of the final product hopefully.
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    Sounds like you have a great plan. I cook my butts based on how I want to eat them. I like nacho and sandwiches myself. So I wrap mine when eating it that way. If I eat it as a plate meal I do not wrap I like the bark.  

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• corey24
    corey24 Posts: 386
    Options
    So when you low and slow a butt you use grate temp of 250ish but when you turbo but you actually use done temp? 350??

XL Egg Owner Since Dec 2013 - Louisiana

• jgrant50
    Options
    corey24 said:
    So when you low and slow a butt you use grate temp of 250ish but when you turbo but you actually use done temp? 350??
    That's the indication I get from all the research and comments.  Mine is looking good - 187 IT right now at 4.5 hours.  FTC soon!

• corey24
    corey24 Posts: 386
    Options
    Exciting to use this method. Went 12 hours yesterday....that's a long day

XL Egg Owner Since Dec 2013 - Louisiana

• jgrant50
    jgrant50 Posts: 16
    edited February 2014
    Options
    FTC'd at 3pm.  So that was exactly 5.5 hours to hit 195 IT at 350 dome temp.  Fingers crossed it comes out good.  Sure looked like it when I pulled it off the egg.  Butt was ~9 pounds at the start.
  • SpartanPride
    Options
    jgrant50, how'd it turn out?  Thinking of firing one of these up today!