Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

22 lbs. of flap

Options
Little Steven
Little Steven Posts: 28,817

Had this in the beer fridge for a couple of months and figured it was time to bag it up. Frozen solid...dam

Steve 

Caledon, ON

001.JPG 161.3K

Comments

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    What it is?
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Sirloin flap meat. My favourite cut of beef.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• BBQBiezy
    BBQBiezy Posts: 20
    edited February 2014
    Options
    That looks like an awesome cut. How do you like to prepare it? I'm gussing low and slow. Maybe similiar technique to a pork butt?

Suntree, FL

• boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options
    OMG..... I get Sirloin Flap at Central Market - Southlake has it. Not the other DFW stores. all over it dude. Cook it on cast iron. Cross slice it. Where did you get that kind of bag? That is the most undiscovered meat cut out there!
    Cookin in Texas
  • Little Steven
    Options
    BBQBiezy said:
    That looks like an awesome cut. How do you like to prepare it? I'm gussing low and slow. Maybe similiar technique to a pork butt?
    No it's similar to skirt and hanger. Hot and fast. Looks like skirt but thicker

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Options
    boatbum said:
    OMG..... I get Sirloin Flap at Central Market - Southlake has it. Not the other DFW stores. all over it dude. Cook it on cast iron. Cross slice it. Where did you get that kind of bag? That is the most undiscovered meat cut out there!
    Shhhh! Let's keep it between us
    B-)

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Options
    On a plus side you managed to post a picture!
    Lynnwood WA
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    Of this is a cooking post? I thought 22lbs of flap meant you finally got your jaw muscles weighed. Man you sure do talk a lot for a guy your size. Are you related to anyone from Peoria?
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Haters gonna hate Gino

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options

Haters gonna hate Gino

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I use flap meat for steak tips. I couldn't find any thus weekend, so I'm using skirt today.
  • Cloom
    Cloom Posts: 21
    Options
    Love flap meat, I feel like it's such an unknown cut which is surprising because it's great. I cut them up for steak tips also. They take marinades great and cook hot and fast. I usually find them in Costco. Enjoy it!!
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Forgive  dumb Canuck here but what are steak tips?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• BYS1981
    Options
    LS,

Here is how I do my steak tips using flap meat, when I can find it. 

Flap meat is sold as whole steaks, strips, and pieces. For even pieces, buy a whole steak of uniform size and cut it up yourself.

Ingredients

• 1/3 cup soy sauce
    • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
    • 3 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
    • 5 garlic cloves, minced
    • 1 tablespoon tomato paste
    • 1 tablespoon paprika
    • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
    • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    • 1 (2 1/2-pound) beef flap meat

Instructions

1. Whisk soy sauce, oil, sugar, garlic, tomato paste, paprika, pepper, and cayenne together in bowl until sugar dissolves; transfer to zipper-lock bag. Pat beef dry with paper towels. Prick beef all over with fork and cut into 2 1/2-inch pieces. Add meat to bag with soy mixture and refrigerate for 2 to 24 hours, turning occasionally.

• BYS1981
    Options
    I omitted the rest of the recipe because it is cooking directions and they use a weber grill or propane, neither of which would be applicable to an egg. 

I cook them direct until they're 135-145 and I cook them extremely hot to get a good sear on them.  My family loves them.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    That sounds similar to a marinade I use. It's called Langtree and London and it's very good. Made in Toronto and not sure they sell in the States.image

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• boatbum
    Options
    I marinate for a few hours.   Get a piece of cast iron really hot.  Cook both sides till done - takes 20 minutes or so total.
    Cookin in Texas
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    That's what they make carne asada out of out here in the Southwest. Marinade it, grill it hot and fast, wrap it in a flour tortilla and you have a burrito or put it in a corn tortilla and you have a taco. And no I am not of Latin descent just a native SoCal boy.  
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • Little Steven
    Options

Little quick on the draw there. I guess when I posted this I figured everyone would know it was steak and not a big hunk. Here is what they look like.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• boatbum
    Options
    Where did you find a 22# bag?
    Cookin in Texas
  • Little Steven
    Options

Butcher has a big chamber machine.

imageimageimage

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Options
    BYS1981 said:
    LS,

Flap meat is sold as whole steaks, strips, and pieces. For even pieces, buy a whole steak of uniform size and cut it up yourself.

Ingredients

• 1/3 cup soy sauce
    • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
    • 1 tablespoon paprika
    • 1/2 teaspoon pepper

Instructions

1. Whisk soy sauce, oil, sugar, garlic, tomato paste, paprika, pepper, and cayenne together in bowl until sugar dissolves; transfer to zipper-lock bag. Pat beef dry with paper towels. Prick beef all over with fork and cut into 2 1/2-inch pieces. Add meat to bag with soy mixture and refrigerate for 2 to 24 hours, turning occasionally.

So do you grill the whole steak and cut it after or cut first and grill? Any serving ideas?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• boatbum
    Options
    I cut mine different.   First cut is across  - separating into two pieces.   Then slice the smaller pieces cross grain.  
    Cookin in Texas
  • Little Steven
    Options
    boatbum said:
    I cut mine different.   First cut is across  - separating into two pieces.   Then slice the smaller pieces cross grain.  
    Before grilling?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• boatbum
    Options

After grilling and rest.  Cook the entire piece - grill - or I cook on cast iron.

When I looked at your pics,  it looked like the grain is running lengthwise.   I cut it like I would a brisket.   Not sure my rambling is making sense...

Cookin in Texas
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I know what you mean. Thanks!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• WoodsDog
    Options
    BYS1981 said:
    LS,

Ingredients

• 1/3 cup soy sauce
    • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
    • 1 tablespoon paprika
    • 1/2 teaspoon pepper

Instructions

Looks like America's Test Kitchen Recipe.  Good Recipe
  • BYS1981
    Options
    It is America's test kitchen. Sorry LS, you cut the steaks into 2 inch strips.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options

That's good stuff......I have a butcher that marinates them about 5 different ways.  He uses a "vacuum tumbler".  Here's a picture:   

They're kind of like the skirt or tri-tip, but better in my opinion.  More flavorful and tender than a flank.  Hanger steaks are the ones I'd like to find.

• Little Steven
    Options

That's good stuff......I have a butcher that marinates them about 5 different ways.  He uses a "vacuum tumbler".  Here's a picture:   

They're kind of like the skirt or tri-tip, but better in my opinion.  More flavorful and tender than a flank.  Hanger steaks are the ones I'd like to find.

I'll see if I can get the cut chart number for you. My butcher gets them in. I cook them when my sons are around and they never come off the cutting board.

Steve 

Caledon, ON