Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can a frozen pork butt go bad?

I have done Pork Butts a lot, but never run into this - I've had a butt in the freezer for about 6 months. It was wrapped in three zip loc bags. After thawing and unwrapping, it seemed like it smelled a bit "off". Also seems like I have seen this topic on here before, but I could not locate it.

There is no ammonia smell, just smelled a tick off. I rinsed it, dried it and rubbed it. I was going to put it on tonight low and slow, for the Superbowl tomorrow. Do I need to write this one off and buy a fresh one?

Comments

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,507
    Did the smell diminish after rinsing?  How about cooking and tasting a small slice of it now?  Let you nose and mouth decide.
    canuckland
  • I would buy a new one... especially if you have a lot of people to eat it. better safe than sorry

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Was it past the expiration date or smell funky when you froze it? If not, you will probably be Ok, unless your freezer kicked off and back on during the 6 months without you knowing it. Did it look freezer burned after thawing?
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Get a new one if you will be cooking for guests! Save it for just yourself or feed it to the dog. :D
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    More than likely it was bad before you froze it  or as suggested did your freezer have a problem sometime. For the cost I would start with a fresh one since others are eating it as well. I've had food poisoning once and don't plan to go through that again EVER!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • EagleIII
    EagleIII Posts: 415
    @Canugghead - smell did diminish after rinsing. I know freezer did not kick off during the 6 months this was frozen as I am in that refrigerator every day. Weird ?
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    It's fine. All cryovaced meats have a little stink from nitrogen based gas that is used to prevent pathogen growth. If it doesn't go away with rinsing then I'd err on the side of caution. It could be bad at that point.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    It's fine. All cryovaced meats have a little stink from nitrogen based gas that is used to prevent pathogen growth. If it doesn't go away with rinsing then I'd err on the side of caution. It could be bad at that point.
    I agree, but not to split hairs, but he didn't say his was cryovaced - he said it had been wrapped in 3 Ziploc bags so in that case no nitrogen would have been involved. Maybe he will come back and clarify since this is a good topic for sake of food safety education for all of us.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • EagleIII
    Thanks for all the input. To clarify, when purchased, it was one if those double pack butts from Costco...and they are cryo-vaced, two to a package...used one straight away, immediately triple wrapped the second one, and btw it smelled fine when wrapped, and it gas been in the freezer ever since. I know the freezer has been running constantly ever since as I am in and out of that freezer every day. After rinsing and rubbing with Bad Byron's, it did not have an odor. The odor was thought after pulling out if the zip lock, after thawing.
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567

Next time just cook both butts. I won't take any longer to cook and you have instant pulled pork in the freezer when you want it!

I just found some pulled pork that I cooked 13 months ago in the freezer. It was vac sealed but I still was a little concerned so I let it thaw in the fridge so I could check it out before I served it. To be honest there was no way you would know how old it was.  

This is the reason that when ever I am doing pulled pork I fit as much as I can on the egg.

• EagleIII
    @Hungry Joe - GREAT tip. I think I will cook both butts every time I buy the double-pack of butts from Costco. There are so many ways to use the pork, why would you not cook them both?