Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ANYBODY IN SOUTH FLORIDA (WPB) WANT TO GO IN ON A PALLET OF LUMP?

Options

I was reading that guys save about 10.00 off a bag of lump charcoal buying a full pallet.  I saw it was 40 bags.  I would like to get 3 other local guys and go quarters on a pallet and save some money.  I have never ordered a pallet before but I am all about saving money.  If you might be interested in this let me know and lets take it from there.

2 LBGE's, Mathews Z7 Extreme putting meat in my EGG, Lovin life in South FL

Comments

• SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    You can save that kind of money if you are picking it up from the manufacturer/distributor, but with your location is its going to be tough. South Florida is a long way from any US charcoal plants or ports where the the foreign stuff is brought in.

On the bag size, it really doesn't save you that much either. The paper itself does add to the overall cost, but you're not saving big bucks by going with huge bags........it's the charcoal thats 90% of the cost. A 600# bag of charcoal is not going to save you much over sixty 10# bags--not enouh to deal with the logistics at least.
  • nicklentini1
    Options
    Well then......... Hmmmmm. Thanks for the info. I guess I'll pony up per bag.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I'll bring a load down...you put me on the beach, cook for me and buy 34 cases of pbr.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • nicklentini1
    Options
    henapple said:
    I'll bring a load down...you put me on the beach, cook for me and buy 34 cases of pbr.

Haha yeah ill let you stay in my house if you can put me on a Tennesee Buck.  All I shoot is florida deer, I want a monster for the wall.

• henapple
    Options
    I don't hunt any more but we'll go to Guntersville to fish. 9 lb 4 oz...empty egg sack or I'd have hit 10.
  • henapple
    Options
    I don't hunt any more but we'll go to Guntersville to fish. 9 lb 4 oz...empty egg sack or I'd have hit 10.
  • henapple
    Options
    Double fun... lol
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Where I live I get some good savings buying Wicked Good but like STL said, you might not be in a very good location. It won't hurt to call around though, any savings is worth looking into. There has to be some one in the south that trucks pallets with some kind of discount over retail.
  • SteveWPBFL
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Boy, that idea sure went up and came back down fast!

As far as saving money goes, I got into Restaurant Depot a few weeks ago and WoW, you can save some on pork there in a hurry. Nice stuff and cheap, too. Better than Costco. I didn't have the opportunity to see if they had lump. And I don't have a card though I've seen if you have a KCBS card you can get in but think that's a one time deal, not sure. So that'd be another candidate for saving on a recurring basis.
  • nicklentini1
    Options

Yeah crash and burn.

Last time I was in RD all I saw was kingsford charcoal briquettes.

I found Royal Oak 8.8 pound bags for 6.34 at walmart.  I picked up 3 last night.  Still cheaper than spending 25.99 on 20 pounds of BGE lump. 

Steve what is KCBS?  If you need to get in to RD give me a heads up I got a card.

• Gator_Man
    Gator_Man Posts: 138
    Options

SteveWPBL, I would call about the lump and see what shipping is I understood shipping was free with a pallet. Also all you need to get into R Depot is ANY Business license, I get in with my electrical contractors just got 2 bags of Royal Oak last week in Riviera Beach store. I grew up in WPB, many won't believe this but I did graduate from Forest Hill High! Where in WPB are ya? My partner might be interested in some of a pallet but you need to have cost per bag figured out first.

Send me a message through the forum. AKA JupiterJim 

I'm from North Carolina summer and Okeechobee Florida winter.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

• stlcharcoal
    Options
    Gator_Man said:

SteveWPBL, I would call about the lump and see what shipping is I understood shipping was free with a pallet. Also all you need to get into R Depot is ANY Business license, I get in with my electrical contractors just got 2 bags of Royal Oak last week in Riviera Beach store. I grew up in WPB, many won't believe this but I did graduate from Forest Hill High! Where in WPB are ya? My partner might be interested in some of a pallet but you need to have cost per bag figured out first.

Send me a message through the forum. AKA JupiterJim 

Have never heard of anyone shipping a pallet for free.......not at wholesale prices at least.  If I offered free shipping, I would just raise the bag price $5-10/bag depending on your ZIP.  Somebody has to pay for the freight, and in the end, it's always the consumer no matter how it's split up on the receipt.  I always charge separately for shipping since it can range from $100-350 a pallet depending where you are in the country.

Yeah crash and burn.

Nick, I hope I didn't come off trying to stomp all over you plan.  I just didn't want you to be disappointed after you put the work into and got a bunch of people together.  You might save money in the end, but it's just not going to be big money like you though.  It's just the location you're in......but right now, I would much rather be in sunny West Palm spending big bucks on charcoal, than getting it cheap here in the snow.  :)
  • nicklentini1
    Options

No worries.

Gator man did they have lump hardwood at RD in Riviera?  I must have missed it.  Do you remember how much?

BTW I was born and rasied down here in Lox /RPB.  I went to Suncoast High.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Gator_Man said:

I grew up in WPB, many won't believe this but I did graduate from Forest Hill High!  

oooohhh, such fond memories of WPB. For many years my wife and I would travel clear from Illinois to vacation at a HI on Rivera Beach. There was a nearby small shopping center and a steakhouse we loved called Annabelle Lee. Over the years we watched the area build out with tall spacious condos. Since then we heard the area went bust and our stomping grounds are merely fond memories as they are gone.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • nicklentini1
    Options
    RRP said:
    Gator_Man said:

I grew up in WPB, many won't believe this but I did graduate from Forest Hill High!  

oooohhh, such fond memories of WPB. For many years my wife and I would travel clear from Illinois to vacation at a HI on Rivera Beach. There was a nearby small shopping center and a steakhouse we loved called Annabelle Lee. Over the years we watched the area build out with tall spacious condos. Since then we heard the area went bust and our stomping grounds are merely fond memories as they are gone.

Yeah, Singer Island is about the only safe place in Riviera Beach.  You are right, very built up now and make sure you are armed as you drive back over to mainland on Blue Heron.  LOL

• Gator_Man
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I worked in Riviera Beach for 20 years at a Vocational High school left the school job in 07,have done electrical work all over RB never have felt threatened there but some areas I would sure avoid late at night just like many city's in America. Yes Singer Island is mostly Condos and I think there is only 1 hotel left on the beach. The price of Lump at R Depot is like $3.00 less than Wally world #18 bag. If you know someone with any business license you are in at R Depot just take current copy with you to register, they don't look to see who has the card, don't care who or how you pay for the goods and we shop there quite often for Egg Fest supplies. Best part is great prices on meat, lump and no fee to be a member. Any of you WPB area guy going to the Sunshine State Egg Fest in Melbourne March 14&15? 

• Gator_Man
    Options
    Home Depot now has Royal Oak 18# bag but is like $2.00 more than Wally world and I have recently seen RO 18# bags at Wally world.

• SteveWPBFL
    Options
    Gator, I can see FHHS field lights from my house, sons went there. And I'm down for SSEF. Trying to settle on SB cook at the moment!
  • billybon
    billybon Posts: 213
    Options

No worries.

Gator man did they have lump hardwood at RD in Riviera?  I must have missed it.  Do you remember how much?

BTW I was born and rasied down here in Lox /RPB.  I went to Suncoast High.

• billybon
    Options
    RD in Riviera Beach has 17.6 lb bags of Royal Oak for $10.14.
  • jhoppmann
    Options
    I grew up in Wellington, went to Gainesville for 4 years, and have been out in Phoenix AZ since 98. 

Has anyone been down to Blue Front since they opened?
  • billybon
    Options
    Yes, I have eaten at the new Blue Front. We ordered the sampler platters to get a taste of everything. Everyone liked the chicken. Most people liked the pulled pork but I think it should have cooked a little longer. The ribs were a disappointment. Certainly not the original Blue Front that everyone loved. The sauces are good in that they are the original recipe. Sides are good.
  • SteveWPBFL
    Options
    C'mon, now! WHO can go out for BBQ after Eggin' for a few years?!? We've ruined THAT. My son wanted ribs at Duffy's last night, I'm still laughing at them. It's so over, even for a good BBQ joint.
  • SteveWPBFL
    Options
    Well I just left RD with 4 of those big RO bags of lump for about ten bucks each along with a small black angus brisket, a pair of bone in butts, a lb of bacon, some Italian sausage and a ten pound box of frozen Mahi. I don't think RD is much of an advantage for me over Costco for the normal Egg cooks. Yeah, the prices are a little bit better but not by much so I'm not going to sweat getting a membership. Most everything else is TOO BIG. 
  • stlcharcoal
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Well I just left RD with 4 of those big RO bags of lump for about ten bucks each along with a small black angus brisket, a pair of bone in butts, a lb of bacon, some Italian sausage and a ten pound box of frozen Mahi. I don't think RD is much of an advantage for me over Costco for the normal Egg cooks. Yeah, the prices are a little bit better but not by much so I'm not going to sweat getting a membership. Most everything else is TOO BIG. 

The good thing about Restaurant Depot is that mine ALWAYS has the whole packer briskets and pork butts in stock.  Costco is hit and miss one those......at least up here they are.  I have only been to RD once when they were out of bone-in butts, had to go with the boneless.