Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you had a hoppy Easter and are ready to spring into warm weather cooking mode! There’s nothing better than spending time outdoors with the sweet aroma of fresh cooked Ribs. Baseball season is also underway, so it's the perfect time to try out some chicken wing variations! We have Jamaican Jerk, Lemon Pepper, Fired-Up Wings and even a Whiskey Onion and Chicken Steak if wings aren't your thing. Bon appetit!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Thermapen Back lit worth extra 20 ?

Open box sale going on and I am going to pick one up. Anyone have the back lit and is it worth the price difference?  Thanks
·

Comments

• DMWDMW Posts: 6,175
    I have the non backlit and wish I had spent the extra.
    ·
  • I wish I would have went with the back lit also.
    ·
  • Hungry JoeHungry Joe Posts: 1,128

I have an older non backlit and a new backlit and think it is worth having, I think $20 extra is a little steep but I still would do it again. And it does work well turning the backlight off when there is enough ambient light.

To me it is just easier grabbing just the thermometer and doing a quick check when it is zero degrees like it has been here then grabbing both a thermometer and a flashlight. I do have light out near the egg but it really is not enough to read the display

·
  • Just ordered the backlit (red). Thanks for the nudge!
    ·
  • TerrebanditTerrebandit Posts: 1,294
    I have a light on my patio and never felt like I needed that feature. It's highly visible in a well lit room. Obviously, it would be nice if you have to cook in the total dark.
    Dave - Austin, TX
    ·
  • corey24corey24 Posts: 317
    Wonder why there is even two options....?? I have non backlit with no issues but they should all just be backlit...

XL Egg Owner Since Dec 2013 - Louisiana

·
  • CharlesmaneriCharlesmaneri Posts: 1,284
    edited February 2014
    I have the non lit one and wish I had the back lit one being that most of my Eggin is done in the dark if I could do it over I would have got the back lit model
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
    ·
  • I sure hope it is I went with the blue backlit yesterday and from feedback above I think I will be glad I did
    Large BGE Middletown, MD
    ·
    corey24 said:
    Wonder why there is even two options....?? I have non backlit with no issues but they should all just be backlit...

good question. I know the non-lit one came out first and I suspect that most of their customers use them exclusively in the kitchen or laboratories that have good ambient light. They probably felt like the light was totally useless in those situations and opted to save them some money. The cost of the light is passed on to those who actually need it, so that's good for me. The only other reason that I can think of is that the non-lit version is better on batteries? I don't have any information about that.
    Dave - Austin, TX
    ·
  • SoCalTimSoCalTim Posts: 472
    I wonder if these 'open' box units were ever really 'open' box units or if sales are down and its a good way to move product.

I just ordered a backlit unit. So I guess it worked.
    ·
  • I can't find an open box sale. Link please?
    ·
  • SoCalTimSoCalTim Posts: 472
    I can't find an open box sale. Link please?

If you scroll down  few postings, someone posted a link.

·
  • You bought a BGE. Is an extra 20 dollars out of your range? I think not. Remember, you only live once.
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    ·
  • You bought a BGE. Is an extra 20 dollars out of your range? I think not. Remember, you only live once.
    AMEN!
    ·
  • Yes !
    Key Largo,Florida  
    2-LBGE, High Que grates, Kick Ash Baskets, SmokeWear Caps, Adjustable Rig, Woo, Stoker II, Amaz-n-smoker, Thermapen, Rockwood charcoal
    Mini Max, No accessories yet !

Gambrills,Maryland
    2-LBGE, same accessories as in Florida
    ·
    You bought a BGE. Is an extra 20 dollars out of your range? I think not. Remember, you only live once.

it's multiple decisions like this that allowed some of us to save our money to buy a BGE. :D
    Dave - Austin, TX
    ·
  • robnybbqrobnybbq Posts: 1,736
    I wish I had gotten the backlit one. Hard to hold a flashlight. Tongs and a thermapen over a raging fire

Garnerville, NY
    ·
  • Really? its only 20 bucks!! :)
    Brandon, MS
    ·