Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need suggested set up for Reverse Searing steaks and chops on XL BGE

Options
DeadHeadEggHead
DeadHeadEggHead Posts: 4
edited February 2014 in EggHead Forum
I am currently splitting the XL BGE firebox with firebricks. I have the fire on one side and the other side is for indirect. I have had success with this set up in the past, but it is not consistent. The fire burns down, and after ramp up, the grid is not close enough to produce a good sear. I have started a chimney of lump and added it when removing the meat at 115, however it just isn't getting hot enough. For the sear, I drop in a hanger and a cast iron grid on it which puts the grid about an inch above the coals. For what ever reason I still do not get the charred sear for which I am looking. Are you masters of the sear using a plate setter for indirect and then removing it for the sear? Any and all input is welcomed (and for those grouchy BGEggers, please do not post that I should have looked at past posts because I have and cannot find that for which I am looking).

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    The cast iron grid takes a while to heat up.  I think it was @Skiddymarker who gave this advice for the reverse sear: put the spider/cast iron grid in first, then put the plate setter over it.  While you do the roast, the cast iron will be heating up. 

Can you do this with your setup with the split firebox?    

Another thing you can do is just give it more time.  Once you do the roast portion, drop in your CI, give it 15 minutes or so for the egg and the grid to heat up. 

One more tip is to dry the meat with paper towels after the roast, and consider adding a little more kosher salt to absorb the liquid.  Good luck! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• DeadHeadEggHead
    Options
    SmokeyPitt - Thanks for the tip. Following your recommendation, I will use my reducer ring, instead of splitting the box, I will add the spider/CI and place the place setter on top for roasting. The CI will be nice and toasty without any additional wait time to sear when I remove the PS. Thanks a lot! Sometimes I overthink it and can't see a new idea!!!! Have a nice weekend!!!!
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    That is one of the reasons a bought a medium to compliment my XL.  What I might do is not split the firebox and use the platesetter for the indirect portion.  Then remove it.  Drop in your CI grid,  open up the vents.  Cover the steak with AF and wait till the BGE temp gets where you want it.  Do give the CI grid time to get hot!  You'll get the char you are looking for.  I'm not sure you are saving much time or lump by splitting the firebox.  
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • DeadHeadEggHead
    Options
    jhl92, thanks for the feedback.... I agree on not saving time or lump on the split, but I was trying not to have to remove the plate setter when it is so hot.... I don't necessarily have a safe place to put it after removing it... any suggestions there?
  • Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Options
    Inside your old gasser or weber is a good place to put the hot platesetter

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options

Funny, I encountered the "where to put the platesetter" question as well just last night (http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1161816/after-cook-2-some-observations-and-questions-alternative-title-is-this-guy-still-here#latest).  Lots of recommendations to just put it on the ground.

My patio is brick, and garage is cement, so no worries about fire, but I do worry about cracking on cold brick or ground.  Putting it on the old grill is a good option, but I hate to keep that around just to store hot items - I"m ready to get rid of it.

I like the metal cart idea, but that's going to be one more item in the garage...
    NOLA
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited February 2014
    Options
    @buzd504 - never heard of an issue with putting a hot setter on the cold ground from the perspective of thermal shock, the setter is pretty tough. 
    I have heard of a hot setter being set on frozen ground, resulting in the setter freezing to the ground. Remember to move it before it cools too much. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Thanks.  No chance of freezing ground here.
    NOLA