Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Not much SMOKE??

Options
I'm new to the egg. Had mine since December. Before this I cooked on side firebox smoker. I'm about 1 1/2 hours into butt smoke and not much if any visible smoke coming from egg. Temp very stable at around 250. Put in cherry wood chips before putting on meat. I would think even the lump would smoke more than this? Do you guys add wood during smoke? Noticed this on most smokes this far.....?

XL Egg Owner Since Dec 2013 - Louisiana

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    For longer cooks I use chunks that are scattered throughout the lump even at that the smoke is not visible all the time but it is still there. Depending on how many chips you threw in they may be gone by now. One way to tell would be hold your hand over the chimney for a few seconds then smell your hand. Cherry will have kinda sweet smell to it.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    You don't get a lot of visible smoke out of the egg. Most spread chips throughout the lump or better still use chunks. Smell the smoke

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• shadowcaster
    Options
    I have never added wood during a cook. I always just mix it in with the lump. If you are getting a "blueish" smoke that is good. Also I have noticed that cherry does not put off a lot of smoke. However, don't worry you are getting plenty of smoke on your meat
    Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
  • corey24
    corey24 Posts: 386
    Options
    I scattered them all over box even part where lump wasn't burning with thoughts it would smoke thru-out cook....

XL Egg Owner Since Dec 2013 - Louisiana