Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

After cook #2, some observations and questions (alternative title: is this guy still here?)

Options
buzd504
buzd504 Posts: 3,824
edited February 2014 in EggHead Forum
Ok, so tonight I did a spatchcock (heh) chicken for tomorrow's gumbo and some shrimp that I cribbed from here: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1152283/green-lightning-shrimp-pics/p1 (we get great shrimp down here).  But this isn't so much about that.  I have a few comments and questions.

I've done my share of beercan/smoked chickens and this was my first spatchcock.  I'm converted.  One of the challenges of the offset smoker was the heat was coming from one direction.  That's totally fixed here.  It came out awesome and super-juicy (half is rubbed with BGE dizzy rub and half with my own rosemary, garlic, s/p, mix, which I liked better).  As much I wanted to, I didn't lift the lid and trusted the new Maverick (73(3)) that I got from Amazon today. 

Speaking for the Maverick, it works great, but whoever commented on the tiny screws in the transceiver was right.  And the screen is hard to read - even with the backlight.  Not happy about the quality of the product at all, although the probes and readings seem to be good.

One of my other complaints about my offset was that it leaked so much air, I burned through a ton of lump.  I don't seem to be saving a ton with the egg though - still burning a lot, even for short cooks.  It may be because I'm finishing off some bags with some smaller pieces, but I'm still a bit surprised (yes, my seal is good).  Still better than before and worth it, but from what I've read, I thought I would have more left over.  I will probably go the Firecraft route after I finish these bags.

I went indirect for the chicken and switched to direct for the shrimp.  Where do you put the platesetter when it's really hot???!  I put it on some cardboard, which apparently wasn't a good idea.  That seems to be a bit of a problem.

I did a little more temp chasing than last night, but nothing too bad.  I'm still really impressed with the egg.  The chicken was amazing.  Can't wait for the bigger projects Sunday!!

NOLA

Comments