Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Off to buy my first egg

Options
2»

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    One more time.
    NOLA
  • buzd504
    Options
    And of course, I couldn't resist cooking something on my first night with the egg. We had a pork tenderloin marinating in the fridge, so I figured why not brave the 45 degree temperatures and give it a shot. First, I have to say, reading this board has been immensely helpful. I got my fire started and watched the needle. Once it started to move rapidly, I dialed back the vents. I was able to stabilize my egg at about 220!! Of course, I wanted it a little hotter for the tenderloin, so I opened the vents a bit and let it get to about 375. Then it occurred to me that my risers and drip pan would probably drop the temp a bit, so I put those in and let it stabilize again. Put the tenderloin in and let go (indirect). Flipped after 20 minutes and done to 140 in 45 total (themapen verified). One chunk of apple gave it some nice smoke). Let it rest a bit and sliced. Came out great. I'm really amazed at the temp control on the egg. Since I knew what to look for, it was really easy. I'm looking forward to spending the weekend cooking (when it's supposed to hit the 70s!!) Thanks, all!
    NOLA
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    buzd504 said:

so I figured why not brave the 45 degree temperatures and give it a shot.

:))

Definitely sounds like you've done your research! The biggest struggle with the egg is temp control when starting out. Sounds like you nailed it. Nice first cook!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Looks great, expect the Wood Chuck.  Eewww.  Enjoy the new obsession.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Great first cook!  The tenderloin looks great.  What is on top of it?  It looks like it is encrusted with something.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• buzd504
    Options

A layer of thinly sliced bacon and some rough chopped garlic which got a nice char on it.
    NOLA
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Think of all of the frustration and money you saved by reading and understanding what you saw here on the forum.  I can't speak for others but even when I read about some issues to watch out for,  I still committed the crime and then said,  OH THAT's WHAT (fill in the handle)  MEANT!!  Good for you!  
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    Options
    Forget the Looft Lighter and go with a good Mapp torch ... you won't regret it  +1     

I could buy several MAPPs for the price of a loot and not have to carry an extension cord out Plus there is something way cool about holding a fire spitting device in your hand!
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Ok I give. What is your avatar??

Oh and congrats on the first cook!
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Mkadilla
    Options
    Congrats.

I got my LBGE just before Christmas. Just completed my 17th cook and #18 is Sunday (tri-tip) for the Super Bowl. We are eating better than we ever have.

The forum has been a fantastic resource for me. I am cooking things now I never would try on the propane grill (pizza, spatchcock chicken, butts, whole tenderloins).

My god, all I can think about now is meat! 
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Congrats! Welcome to the club .
    Seattle, WA
  • buzd504
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Ok I give. What is your avatar?? Oh and congrats on the first cook!

Hahaha, it's an egg ninja!
    NOLA
  • GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    Options
    welcome aboard.  Just remember to show SWMBO some love, otherwise she'll become jealous.  My wife jokes she has to dress up like an Egg for me to touch her.  :))

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • Egghead Willie
    Options
    Congrats. Enjoy it.
  • buzd504
    Options
    jhl192 said:
    Think of all of the frustration and money you saved by reading and understanding what you saw here on the forum.  I can't speak for others but even when I read about some issues to watch out for,  I still committed the crime and then said,  OH THAT's WHAT (fill in the handle)  MEANT!!  Good for you!  

Totally agree.  Tons of good information on here.  I was disappointed to not get my egg right away, but I learned a ton just reading.
    NOLA