Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mothership won't ship fireboxes

Did you know that the Mothership won't ship a fire-box by itself? Sorry if this has been covered before.
My firebox finally kicked the bucket a few weeks ago. It was already in pieces but I could still put it together and it would sit ok, but went to use the ash tool the other day and it finally crumbled at the opening and there's no longer any way to keep the all of the pieces together. So I called my local dealer and asked about getting a replacement. He advised that he didn't think they shipped them anymore. He called them and confirmed that they had so many end up breaking during shipping that eventually FedEx wouldn't let them insure them anymore so they can't be shipped by themselves. They now have to go out on a pallet. Now I have to wait until he get's new eggs or a pallet of lump before I can get it. In the meantime I set the broken piece inside the firebox to keep the lump from falling through and it's still functional, I just can't really stir up the ashes anymore. I was just curious if anyone has had the same experience.
Medium BGE, Weber Q120 (The traveller)
"I claim artistic license, it has a good beat, I can dance to it"

Comments

• bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    That sucks.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    I understand there are 5 distributors throughout the US. It almost seems that each of these locations should carry a supply of these hard to ship items.  This way they would not have to wait for any demand to build before they could supply a replacement.  I know the dealer I go to in New Hampshire gets all of his stuff from a Northeast Distributor that supplies all the local dealers. It usually shows up in a day or two but always within a week.  Seems like a relatively easy fix for BGE.     
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Sorry, but individual shipping has been nonexistent for quite some time, but shipping along with a full order is the way many eggers have to deal with meaning delays depending on how often a dealer re-stocks. OTOH I have a great dealer in Peoria, IL who carries an inventory of spare parts on his own nickel so if you walk in with a broken problem you walk out with the replacement in hand! Not all dealers care for their customers like mine does! VIVA Hearth & Patio! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    My dealer has always had replacement parts in stock when I've needed replacements.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Helmet
    Helmet Posts: 163
    I didn't know there were 4 distributors. I guess I was just really surprised to hear they wouldn't ship them.
    My dealer is a VERY small hobby shop, so they don't really have much stuff there, unfortunately. I guess that's what I get for living in the sticks :) Anyway, thanks for the comments everyone!
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    just off the top of my head, I know at least 9 distributors, sure I'm missing one or two more.

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Contact the local distributor, ask if there is another dealer you could arrange to pick up your item.  Drive and pick it up....or wait.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    I agre with Smitty, check around and see if another dealer has one. If you dealer has enough eggs in stock, they could swipe on from a new egg and replace when the replace,ent comes in. Or you cold move to Peoria where the best dealer (and egger ever) lives...
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566

Reading this tells me as soon as I see a crack I should contact my dealer to get the ball rolling, and when it comes in let it sit on the shelf until the old one falls apart.

Really that is how I dealt with my last cracked firebox. Right now I have a cracked fire ring that I never reported. I'll take care of that this week.

So you are telling me if I want to buy a fire box from the mother ship they won't ship it?

Sounds like bad business to me.

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I agre with Smitty, check around and see if another dealer has one. If you dealer has enough eggs in stock, they could swipe on from a new egg and replace when the replace,ent comes in. Or you cold move to Peoria where the best dealer (and egger ever) lives...
    Ouch!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Out of curiosity, where are the distributors located??
    Peoria, AZ == XL BGE, Weber 22.5 Redhead, Fiesta Blue Ember Gasser
  • I know Paragon is in TX and Ga Hearth in GA. There is 1 in FL. Not sure of the others
  • So you are telling me if I want to buy a fire box from the mother ship they won't ship it?

Shipping it is bad business,

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    I had to wait for a mini base until a shipment..... Just wait it out it will come.
    Seattle, WA
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566
    edited February 2014

So you are telling me if I want to buy a fire box from the mother ship they won't ship it?

Shipping it is bad business,

It sounds like it might be a no win situation for the vendor and the end user. I have a very good dealer, the only problem is that they are about an hour away which really doesn't bother me, I just plan my purchases with their eggfests. I'm one of the lucky one's.

I see lots of posts from people not so lucky. There are at least three dealers between me and where I bought my egg but they didn't want to deal with warranty issues for an egg they didn't sell me so I just skip over them when I need something. Their loss in my eyes.

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    So let me understand this.  If the firebox breaks and you want to get a new one it could take months to get a new one?  I do not get that.

I was looking at a small a while back and a Egg table for my large and they said they would not order it until they had enough for a large shipment.  And that could be a few months.  So if mine breaks I would be Eggless for months?

Garnerville, NY
  • RRP
    Not really. Most of us don't pee our pants when the firebox cracks but instead keep using it. I used one that was in 7 pieces for nearly 3 years even though I had a brand new replacement sitting in my garage! Of course having a dealer which sells more product generally means they are better at warranty issues than one who occasionally sells an egg.
  • Helmet
    Helmet Posts: 163
    Keep in mind, my firebox has been cracked into about 5 pieces since I bought it (used) and has always worked fine, I'm only looking to replace it because the piece that is directly above the opening broke so it won't 'jigsaw' back together anymore, it will fall to the bottom of the egg. I had to remove the whole firebox to get it out and then put everything back together and set it back in, leaned up against the hole (sitting on the bottom fire grate) in order to keep my lump from falling through to the bottom. On the upside, it still works, I'm actually 5 hours into my first ever boston butt cook right now!! Running 300, indirect and I'm at 196 IT right now. I can't wait to try it. You folks on here have truly inspired me to try things I would have never even considered before. Cheers!!
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    This should really be an easy fix in the shipping dept.  They have this really cool stuff that looks like spray-foam insulation.   you put a piece of plastic in the bottom of the box, spray a little and let it foam up, put another piece of plastic press in the piece cover that with one more piece, spray more in to fill the gaps and seal the box.  I have shipped lots of stuff using this spray foam stuff.. and things dont get broke. 

The other thing is that maybe FedEx employees should be a little more careful with the packages.  Throwing them on the floor is not a good thing...
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,428
    That glue that everyone recommends for the Egg body (shell?  Har!), Weld-something, would that work on the firebox too?  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• RRP
    edited February 2014
    Botch said:
    That glue that everyone recommends for the Egg body (shell?  Har!), Weld-something, would that work on the firebox too?  
    You mean JB Weld? I tried it on one of my broken fireboxes and it only lasted a couple cooks. Honestly gravity is your best friend unless it is really shattered.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Haven't tried this myself, don't know how much it costs or whether it's still working for Mark. But it's supposed to be a high temp ceramic adhesive.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,428
    That's the stuff, RRP, thanks.  I'm killin' off too many brain cells....  :|

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• RRP
    Michael - Rutland has been making a similar cement in a tube for over 50 years. It is a ready-mixed silicate cement that withstands temperatures over 2,000 degrees without failure. The product in the tube is their item #64C and is a 10.3 oz cartridge. It seals cracks and joints air tight.

I sent a tube to an egger about 12 years ago and I know as of 4 years ago it was still holding his firebox together without a single failure!
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    robnybbq said:
    So let me understand this.  If the firebox breaks and you want to get a new one it could take months to get a new one?  I do not get that.

I was looking at a small a while back and a Egg table for my large and they said they would not order it until they had enough for a large shipment.  And that could be a few months.  So if mine breaks I would be Eggless for months?

My dealer said the same thing with the caveat that he could order for me now if I paid the freight.  Not worth it for a single item or two, IMO.
    NOLA
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    RRP said:
    Michael - Rutland has been making a similar cement in a tube for over 50 years. It is a ready-mixed silicate cement that withstands temperatures over 2,000 degrees without failure. The product in the tube is their item #64C and is a 10.3 oz cartridge. It seals cracks and joints air tight.

I sent a tube to an egger about 12 years ago and I know as of 4 years ago it was still holding his firebox together without a single failure!
    Ron, I don't recall ever hearing of such a Rutland product on the forum. But I imagine it is available at many hardware stores, correct? Would likely beat Cotronics' minimum purchase. All I have EVER seen on here is JB Weld. And how it doesn't work for fireboxes.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    I've posted about it a time or two. My retail source (Menard's) of these recently quit carrying that particular product so I can't just pick up one tube to send to someone anymore. OTOH I can buy it elsewhere by the case of 12 tubes, but not sure I will have enough requests.
  • Well I would sure like some man!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• RRP
    Well I would sure like some man!
    Steve, you pull my leg so often I never take you seriously...besides you know my email address as you have been a good customer of mine over the years! BTW we are bracing ourselves for 9 more inches of snow by tomorrow night - I think you call that a "light frost" - right? LOL
  • Serious, I have two large eggs that I can't use right now. I don't have your e-mail now because of replaced computers. Can you send me one if you have mine

Steve 

Caledon, ON