Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flat Iron Steak (pics)

Options
NDG
NDG Posts: 2,431
Flat Iron was on sale and I jumped on it - love this cut and the leftovers are so versatile.  Rubbed with the Argentina Rub from William Sonoma and  grilled on cast iron grate at 550 for about 8 mins total with a few flips.  Got this idea from a griffinsgrub post awhile back . . thanks as always! 

We made some smashed cauliflower and served with spinach salad with hard boiled egg/crispy onions/blue cheese/etc.  Ended up using a store bought chimichurri sauce on the top.  The steak was great, but unfortunately the chimichurri sauce was super salty!  Packaged sauces are always a wild card (got this one at World Market) and hoping I can use it as a dipping sauce for some bread next time?  Next time I will try to make my own chimichurri.  Happy Friday.

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    That steak looks perfect and delicious.

Chimichurri is easy to make and there are a ton of variations.  Once you make it yourself, you won't go back to the packaged stuff.
    NOLA
  • Timbo66
    Timbo66 Posts: 109
    Options
    Wow, looks great.
    Large Egg, Warner Robins,Ga
  • Central_Bama_Egger
    Options
    Man. That beef looks outstanding.
    Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • NDG
    Options
    Thank You.  I just found a chimichurri recipe on cooks ill website.  I am posting below so I have a record of this for my next flat iron!  Unless . . . does anyone have a proven chimichurri recipe to share?

• Chimichurri Sauce
    • 1/4cup hot water
    • 2teaspoons dried oregano
    • 2teaspoons kosher salt (see note)
    • 1 1/3cups loosely packed flat-leaf parsley leaves
    • 2/3cup loosely packed cilantro leaves
    • 6medium garlic cloves, minced or pressed through garlic press (about 2 tablespoons)
    • 1/2teaspoon red pepper flakes
    • 1/4cup red wine vinegar
    • 1/2cup extra-virgin olive oil
    • 1. FOR THE SAUCE: Combine hot water, oregano, and salt in small bowl; let stand 5 minutes to soften oregano. Pulse parsley, cilantro, garlic, and red pepper flakes in food processor until coarsely chopped, about ten 1-second pulses. Add water mixture and vinegar and pulse briefly to combine. Transfer mixture to medium bowl and slowly whisk in oil until incorporated and mixture is emulsified. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand at room temperature at least 1 hour (if preparing sauce in advance, refrigerate and bring to room temperature before using).
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Really good looking cook!  It looks pretty healthy to boot (except perhaps high sodium from the salty chimichurri ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• nicklentini1
    Options
    LOOKS AMAZING.

2 LBGE's, Mathews Z7 Extreme putting meat in my EGG, Lovin life in South FL

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    @NDG-great cook.  Gotta love that W-S Argentine rub.  Can't believe they no longer make it...dumb marketing/sales decision.  I bought out the local store a couple of years ago and still have 2+ cans.  I use it eggsclusively on flat-irons.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lantzwr
    lantzwr Posts: 229
    Options
    Looks great.
    RobLarge BGE, Merritt Island, (Space Coast of Florida)

Boiler UP
  • r2davis65
    Options
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Looks great. That is a good rub. Need to get some more, but I thought it was discontinued.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• NDG
    Options
    Thanks - I just finished off my tin of the Argentina rub - about a year old - hope its still around but not sure . .
    Columbus, OH

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    As mentioned, the Argentine rub is and has been discontinued for awhile.  Rumor has it that W-S recognizes the screw-up and plans to reintroduce but with corporate inertia who knows when...FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • fred303
    fred303 Posts: 8
    edited February 2014
    Options
    That looks great, I normally would not cook a flat iron at 550 but those pictures show perfection.