Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How many leave your house while the Egg is lit?

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    My egg sits in a wooden table, on a wooden deck, less than 10 feet from our log cabin.  Additionally, this deck sits about 15 feet over the woodpile for our wood stove.  I'll do turbo whenever possible, but will do overnighters when necessary.  I won't leave the house, but I could be on the other side of my property doing whatever and usually don't give it much thought.  We do have fire extinguishers handy and a fire matt in front of the lower vent.
    Mine took probably three hours to become fully engaged. I would strongly recommend a fire resistant mat under the egg for anybody that has theirs on a wooden deck at a minimum.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    They make a fire retardant clear sealer... we use it in restaurants. I'm not sure how it would hold up to burning lump.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    My egg is in a wooden table on a concrete patio probably 8 feet from the house. I have left it a number of times while cooking low n slow, once for about 5 hours.  I do not have a temp controller on it.  Maybe I am over confident, but with the vents only cracked and a stable low temp, I am more concerned about the fire going out than I am having it get away from me.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929

My eggs reside on my screened in back porch for now. they have been there for a few years. The porch has stone floor and the only wall is brick, but it is a standard wood and screen porch with a roof. I have done countless overnight cooks and left the house mutliple times with it going. Eventually putting them on a flagstone patio, but for now the porch is all I can do. I typically use the screen door so an ember doesn't fly out, but other than that little to no safety precautions. So far so good, but not an ideal situation by any means. They do sit on the furthest point away from the house, but still next to wood rails.

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,458
    edited January 2014
    IMO fire getting away on a low n slow cook is almost 'impossible'.  The risk is somehow the lit lumps/ember 'escape' the egg due to external factor(s). 
    canuckland
  • Little Steven

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    edited January 2014
    I leave it unintended with no issues. But I refuse to put it on my wooden deck. Always roll the egg out to the driveway. My neighbors lost their house due to their grill being on their back wooden deck. Ember wedged between the deck boards and 5-6 hours later their whole house was on fire while they were a sleep. Luckily they were able to get everyone out in time
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Little Steven
    Thanks Q

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831

Thanks Q
    You're welcome... though it's not easy teaching you. :D 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Little Steven
    Old dogs as they say. You would know all about that wouldn't you?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• henapple

Thanks Q

yeah, thank you.

:-q
  • Carolina Q

Old dogs as they say. You would know all about that wouldn't you?
    not yet. smart ass.  >:)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Mine is a few hundred feet from the house so I get a bit of exercise before dinner.  The main reason I put it there was that it out of the wind most of the time and I was afraid that the smoke from the egg would stain the side of the house.

Gerhard
  • Millsy said:

I have done enough cooks now that I know that nothing will happen.

That statement right there could come back and really bite you in the azz!

.... just my opinion
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • Carolina Q
    Ask Nature Boy how many years he had cooked on his egg before he lost his house to a fire. I believe it was 8.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Now that I've got my PitMaster I might run short errands while doing low n slows
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    My new deck is made from a 100% PVC material.  I think next summer I'll grab one glowing ember and set it on a scrap of the decking, just to see what happens.  I imagine it'll stink badly, if nothing else.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Little Steven
    IMO fire getting away on a low n slow cook is almost 'impossible'.  The risk is somehow the lit lumps/ember 'escape' the egg due to external factor(s). 
    My biggest fear was always the base cracking and the lump falling on the deck. Q put up the pic of lowercasebill's mini. That is a lot of fire hitting something combustible

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• dfrelich
    dfrelich Posts: 104
    Although my patio is irregular stones.  I'll never have my cooker near the house.  I have mine set at the end of patio just before the yard.  About 20 feet away.  

With that said... I do leave mine unattended for hours many times and more than 50% of the time, nobody at home.
    X-Large & Large
    Frederick County, MD
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    WOW i cant believe this topic - I have told my wife a million times that our BGE on the wood deck is 100% safe.  Looks like I was wrong and might have to rethink our setup - yikes.  
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • henapple
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Never!
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    NDG said:
    WOW i cant believe this topic - I have told my wife a million times that our BGE on the wood deck is 100% safe.  Looks like I was wrong and might have to rethink our setup - yikes.  
    It is imperative that you stay home and watch.  To keep yourself from burning up, you need to be hydrated properly.  If a fire breaks out...you can always imitate the McKenzie brothers.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705

LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Overnighters, errands, no problem until I saw these pictures.  Mine sits about 20 feet from the house, in a steel nest on leveled cement blocks.  But, I do have it about 3 feet from a wooden fence.  I keep it close because I'm mored scared of soccers ball flying over the fence.  
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    This scares the crap out of me and its funny this came up today. I am doing a couple butts for the Superbowl and I was planning on them being done sometime around 1pm Sunday. I figured I could just go to church while they cook but I'm a little worried, especially after this happened to my table. I think some cooking oil dripped on it because I noticed this after I had deep fried with the wok, still freaks me out.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • Mine sits on a wooden table,on a deck which is right next to my weatherboard house!

I have left it twice while I've gone to work,and have done quite a few overnighters too.

• henapple
    @jls9595... I am doing a couple butts for the Superbowl 

So is Peyton Manning

=))
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,458
    @jls9595 it appears your table is literally touching the egg, I think you need a gap around it; air space is also recommended between the egg bottom and the paver below.
    canuckland