Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Why not an egged Thanksgiving Day Turduken...

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have had Turdukens before but not egged. They have always been cooked in an oven and are great. The oven directions have been foolproof and it works perfectly. Any advice from eggheads on this, meaning temps. and time would be appreciated. Direct,indirect,spices. Where to buy. Thanks in advance. Capt.Dan

Comments

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    turducken3.jpg
    <p />Capt. Dan:[p]I cook mine on an elevated grid at 325º direct. If you cook them indirect you may want to cook it at 350º.
  • BrianP
    BrianP Posts: 147
    Capt. Dan,
    I did one this past weekend. I inverted the plate setter and placed the vrack/pan on on the platesetter as described in[p]http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxturkey.htm[p]It worked like a charm - cooked at 325. A 12 pounder went for 4 fours.[p]The only problem for me doing this at Thanksgiving is missing the aroma in the house as the bird cooks. This is one of my favorite memory cues for enjoyable holidays with family and friends no longer with us.[p]BrianP[p]BrianP

[ul][li]http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxturkey.htm[/ul]
  • BrianP,
    you want the smell indoors? .. .simply buy the ingredients to make 'soup' or stock for the gravy. . ..get some turkey necks, or a couple of wings and drumsticks, etc. .. .put in big pot of simmering water on the stove early in the morning with a halved onion, some celery and a bouquet of herbs (rosemary, sage, thyme). ...let that simmer all day. ..it will do two things ..1. make the house smell good, and 2. give you stock for gravy to make with the turdunken drippings. ....

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    BrianP,
    I just did an all turkey, took it to 165, all was fine. I do find that using cherry wood with a bit of hickory really makes it perfect

• mad max beyond eggdome,
    You hit it Max, I followed that recipe last year. That stock simmereing on the stove is better than the smell of the cooking turkey itself. I even do this for chickens once and a while.[p]BTW, have not been around much latley, how's the diet going?

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    mmbe:[p]The Princess regularly makes chicken soup (she has three wonderful recipes she has perfected). The aroma of the chicken boiling for broth with her selected spices really perks up us men folk around here. I say make chicken soup more often!