Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Non-raised and spatchcock

Options
pretzelb
pretzelb Posts: 158
I am eager to try a spatchcock recipe but it seems like all call for raised and I don't have anything to raise my grid (yet). Is there an adjustment you can make for non-raised like either going indirect or lowering the temp? I might try to start with the simple recipe here http://www.nakedwhiz.com/spatch.htm or if I can do indirect then I might go for this vegetable and spatch-like recipe here http://www.nakedwhiz.com/thechicken.htm
XL egg owner, home brewer, jogger, coffee roaster, gamer 

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Indirect will be fine, and a pan of veggies under the chicken is always highly recommended.  If you don't have a raised grid, are you planning to put a pan of veggies on the plate setter?  I think that will work fine, but you may want to use some kind of spacer between the plate setter and the pan (balls of foil, and extra grid, washers, etc). 

It will be good no matter what you do :).  If you want to just toss it on the grid at normal height that will be fine.  I would recommend not filling the lump too full- give you some space between the burning coal and the meat.  

I do recommend getting a raised grid when you get a chance.  A cheap weber replacement grid and a few beer cans and you are in business ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    You can go indirect with a setter under the grid (use a drip pan raised slightly off the setter to catch the drippings and to avoid burning them).
    Indirect is OK, the skin does not crisp as well as raised direct, just raise the temp by 50º or so. 
    Indirect can also be treated like using the oven. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    You can increase the distance from the lump to the grid by using less lump.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Three bricks = raised.... then direct.....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    I have done and actually prefer indirect for my chickens.  Pick up a Weber grid at Home Depot along with 3 small flower pots, and you will have a raised grate for under $20.  Basic setup in the pic.  This was for a cold smoke, but you get the idea
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • ShadowNick
    Options
    I've done plenty of spatchcocks direct, not raised.  Worked fine for me.
    Pentwater, MI
  • pretzelb
    pretzelb Posts: 158
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips. My preference is to follow a (proven) recipe directly initially and then alter if I see the need so I wasn't sure how to use the information in all the directions that started with "raised". I'd hate to guess on time or temp and have it fail.

I do plan to get raise the grid soon. Just not sure if I can wait. I've been trying to cook everyday since I got my XL.

I like the idea of direct to get the crisp skin but I also like going indirect and getting vegetables done at the same time. 

I just might hit the store tonight and try the indirect method tonight. 
    XL egg owner, home brewer, jogger, coffee roaster, gamer 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    There is the old three carriage bolts, nuts and washer method to raise the grid...
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    *Dumb Question Alert.

I'm still in my learning phase, but why the raised grid on the spatchcock chicken as opposed to normal height?

Tim
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    One of the cool things on the big cookers, build fire on one half, bird on other half,  move bird back and forth depending on how its cooking,

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited January 2014
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    *Dumb Question Alert.

I'm still in my learning phase, but why the raised grid on the spatchcock chicken as opposed to normal height?

Tim
    You don't burn it. Just that simple my friend. I could NEVER cook on the other grills . My chicken was raw or burnt (most of the time: both). I cook very good chicken now. Cook all of it direct and raised at 400.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    *Dumb Question Alert.

Tim
    Just to expand on that a bid, I think it accomplishes 2 things:

1) More space between the fire and the meat, so less chance of flare ups burning it. 
    2) When it is higher in the dome, you get more heat radiating off the ceramic, so it browns/crisps the skin on top better.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Thank You Mickey!
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • BREWnQ
    BREWnQ Posts: 219
    Options
    I got a small grate at the hardware store for like $8 then found a couple of bricks around the house and they work great for spatch chicken.  I'm pretty good at messing things up and I have yet to make a chicken that isn't perfect.
    Brewer, BBQer, Softballer, RCer, Father, HomeTheaterer, and trouble maker.
    Orange, CA
  • lombard
    lombard Posts: 23
    Options
    Even though one of the first things I did for my egg was to build a raised grid, I still typically spatchcock direct, not raised.  Keep the dome around 375º and it's all good.
  • rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    Options
    Use your imagination to raise your grid.

I remember using wood chunks of about the same size to get my grid above the felt line.  What is the worst that can happen... they smolder a litte?
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    This is my raised grid and even using SS hardware it was reasonable $$ wise. I use it all the time.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • laserdoc85
    Options
    Been cooking these birds direct without the grid raised since 85. They always turn out the same and great!!
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg