Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt - Drip Pan Question?

Options

Do you guys put a liquid in your drip pan, apple juice, water, etc?  If so, do you think it makes a difference?  I have done it both ways but I feel the bark is not as good due to the constant steam in the meat.  Your thoughts?  This is my first butt on the Egg although I have done many in my side firebox smoker (pre-egg).

I have a 6.5lb butt sitting in the fridge injected with a combo of apple juice, cider vinegar, OJ, Worcheshire, & Rub.  Rubbed down with John Henry Pecan Rub, this is my first time with that but I hear it is great.....Cant wait!! 

XL Egg Owner Since Dec 2013 - Louisiana

Comments

• SWVABeanCounter
    Options
    No liquids are necessary, just make sure you use something to raise the drip pan off the platesetter to prevent the drippings from burning.  I just use tin foil balls.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    I don't...haven't really found the need to as the egg has enough moisture. Assuming you're cooking and not looking!!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • corey24
    corey24 Posts: 386
    Options
    No liquids are necessary, just make sure you use something to raise the drip pan off the platesetter to prevent the drippings from burning.  I just use tin foil balls.

Thanks, I hadn't heard that.  On the XL there is very little room, that pan is usually almost touching grate.  Hope I have enough room.....

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Just means your drip pan is too tall. Gap between the pan and setter needs to be only 1/4" to 1/2". Difference between the grid and the setter is pretty much the same for the medium/large/XL. Many use a shallow 2" foil disposable pan, catches the spooge and easy to clean up. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I use salt in mine. Big box of salt last for years.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• corey24
    corey24 Posts: 386
    Options
    Also, do most of you guys usually do fat up or down.  I usually do up but thought I would hear would others do.

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,654
    Options
    I go fat down and no liquid in pan.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• mimauler
    mimauler Posts: 136
    Options
    I rarely if ever use a drip pan I just scrape off the plate setter after and rinse it. 
  • Mickey
    Options
    Salt. image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• DoofusOfTheDay
    Options
    Mickey said:
    What purpose does salt serve?
    Gregg
    Large BGE Owner since December of 2013!
    Marietta, GA
  • Mickey
    Options
    Mickey said:

Did not want liquid, did not want it burning. My thought was to absorb better. Works for me.

• DoofusOfTheDay
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Mickey said:

Did not want liquid, did not want it burning. My thought was to absorb better. Works for me.
    Clever.  I might do that myself this weekend, debating between a Butt and doing a chuck roast to make nachos with.
    Gregg
    Marietta, GA
  • Mickey
    edited January 2014
    Options

DoofusOfTheDay  Why not make your nachos with the Butt. We do here all the time. And now seeing it all over.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Mickey, kitty litter?  :))

I use a dry drip pan, no spacers, directly on the platesetter. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mickey
    Options
    Mickey, kitty litter?  :))

I use a dry drip pan, no spacers, directly on the platesetter. 

What, no beans =))

• DoofusOfTheDay
    Options
    Mickey said:

DoofusOfTheDay  Why not make your nachos with the Butt. We do here all the time. And now seeing it all over.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Eh wanted to try a chuck roast.  
    Gregg
    Marietta, GA
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Mickey said:

Doesn't that make your gravy a bit salty Mic?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options

I have a large but I stack 3 pennies in each corner of the drip pan and it is enough space to keep the drippings from burning.

Also, line your plate setter and drip pan with foil. It will make cleanup a lot easier.