Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Thinking of Smoking a Brisket

Never have smoked a brisket. I watched Dr BBQ's You Tube video and he uses a plate setter. Is this necessary? Pros and cons and any suggestions for a first timer would be appreciated. Thank you.

• BudgeezerBudgeezer Posts: 544
    Check out Aaron Franklin's videos on YouTube.  
    Edina, MN

• MickeyMickey Posts: 16,661
    I have not done this but if Travis says I will go with it. Turbo Brisket (Travis) 350 until 195, need pan with beer. 10 lb app 6/7 hr then in a cooler wrapped in towels for a hour or so. When you unwrap, foil is full of juice!! put a lot of wood chips and chunks to get as much smoke in before the meat hits 140, good smoke ring most of the time. Cut against the grain.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

• Chris_WangChris_Wang Posts: 1,253
    Platesetter, yes. Even at 350° egg temp, you don't want to grill the brisket. You want to cook it so that the fat can render out before the IT hits 195°+.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer