Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Serious Eats, 50 beers, 50 States

Options
Came across this, thought other's might enjoy. Amazing how many I've actually tried, although not completely agreeing with the reviews. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I'm glad they picked Heady Topper. That's the best beer on that entire list. At the very least, best I've ever had.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I'm lucky enough to live within driving distance of both 3 Floyd's and Bell's. The beers Serious Eats list are certainly very good, but the one-offs and seasonals available at the brew pubs are often spectacular.

Locally, there is a small chain that has a very good selection of craft brews, so I've had a number of the ones mentioned on the map. But this summer I visited my son and DIL in Portland, and they took me to a store that had over 1300 different brews on hand. Better yet, I was able to visit Hair of the Dog, and get some Fred and Adam. Spectacular.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    @gdenby - Portland has become a craft beer destination resort, if there is such a thing. Easy 5 hour drive for us, SWMBO shops, I visit the craft brew pubs. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    gdenby said:
    I'm lucky enough to live within driving distance of both 3 Floyd's and Bell's. The beers Serious Eats list are certainly very good, but the one-offs and seasonals available at the brew pubs are often spectacular.

Locally, there is a small chain that has a very good selection of craft brews, so I've had a number of the ones mentioned on the map. But this summer I visited my son and DIL in Portland, and they took me to a store that had over 1300 different brews on hand. Better yet, I was able to visit Hair of the Dog, and get some Fred and Adam. Spectacular.
    I have a place here in Maryland that does beer and wine. About 95% of the brews are craft and they have 1 little cooler with "brand name" swill. I have been lucky enough to have about half of the brewery's offerings on that list. Anything in MD, PA, VA, DC, and DE is readily available as well as the Northeast. Good offerings from the Rust belt, CO, California and the Northwest. We are truly spoiled these days.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Very cool- thanks for sharing.   I would like to find some of that Heady Topper but it doesn't sound like it is easy to get anywhere except the NorthEast. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    those ones from allagash in maine are incredible, never seen them for sale though. changes what you define as the best of the best in craft beers. as soon as i found their booth at an october fest, i never moved for the rest of the day, they had an assortment of experimental aged corked beers there
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BREWnQ
    BREWnQ Posts: 219
    Options
    Awesome list thanks for sharing.  
    Brewer, BBQer, Softballer, RCer, Father, HomeTheaterer, and trouble maker.
    Orange, CA
  • Bill_Swerski
    Options
    great list.  Zombie Dust has to be the best beer I've ever had, and I managed to get my hands on a case of it last week.  it's going fast.

• TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    Options
    I'm glad somebody put this up .. i saw this last week .. fun list
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    No pabst?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    henapple said:
    No pabst?
    FWIW, the last time I was at 3 Floyd's, they did have Pabst on tap. "Only beer to win a blue ribbon at the Chicago World Fair in 1893."  As is said, show some respect to your elders.

• mgoblue0484
    mgoblue0484 Posts: 148
    edited January 2014
    Options

Thanks for sharing.

I've have never found heady topper or pliny the elder. If anyone knows where I can find it in Northern VA, I would appreciate it.

GO BLUE!

Fairfax, Va

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    those ones from allagash in maine are incredible, never seen them for sale though. changes what you define as the best of the best in craft beers. as soon as i found their booth at an october fest, i never moved for the rest of the day, they had an assortment of experimental aged corked beers there

That is interesting that you've never seen them for sale, especially since you're in the area (if I remember correctly you split time between ME and MA).  I can get most of their offerings in the Baltimore area, and whenever I visit my folks I head up to Orono to visit the store I bought my first beer, and they had Allagash products last summer at least.  I personally prefer the Curieux, and the Allagash Black is one of my 3 or 4 favorite beers in the world.

I also think they made the best choice among the MD offerings I've had.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    great list.  Zombie Dust has to be the best beer I've ever had, and I managed to get my hands on a case of it last week.  it's going fast.

5 year old grandson was here the other day, saw the Zombie Dust logo and told me I needed to get some, because Zombies are cool!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    Acn said:

That is interesting that you've never seen them for sale, especially since you're in the area (if I remember correctly you split time between ME and MA).  I can get most of their offerings in the Baltimore area, and whenever I visit my folks I head up to Orono to visit the store I bought my first beer, and they had Allagash products last summer at least.  I personally prefer the Curieux, and the Allagash Black is one of my 3 or 4 favorite beers in the world.

i think they maybe priced themselves out of the tax free new hampshire market and i never buy beer in maine. theres a plce im going by this weekend that might have it, ill have to check
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Eggcelsior
    Options

Thanks for sharing.

I've have never found heady topper or pliny the elder. If anyone knows where I can find it in Northern VA, I would appreciate it.

Very cool- thanks for sharing.   I would like to find some of that Heady Topper but it doesn't sound like it is easy to get anywhere except the NorthEast. 

You'll only get Heady Topper if you to Vermont and visit an eatery near the brewery or to the brewery itself on certain days. I believe it is distributed to specific liquor stores on certain days of the week. 
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    Acn said:

Yup. Agree on Flying Dog. It blows my mind that I live 15 minutes from some of the best beer in the country. The Shock and Awe sampler is great to show off their wares.

First time I had Allagash was from a Piggly Wiggly in Mt. Pleasant, SC off of the IOP connector. I can now get at my local store that I mentioned in an above post. I wonder if it is a distribution issue. I use to have to take Yuengling to Ohio for my sister because it was nowhere to be found in the state, despite the fact that it is one state over.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I knew Tennessee would be Yazoo. .There's is good but I like the small guys. Calfkiller and Mayday. Brown Recluse, Scorned Hooker...Yazoo did a combo beer with Calfkiller called "Little Guy"...A shot at AB that was trying to harass them. Craft and Micro brews are cutting in their profit. My cigar haven carries Calfkiller and I usually take my growler.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    They totally missed on Louisiana.  Abita is good, and that SOS pilsner is OK but it's by far the most mass produced and largest "craft" brewer in the state.  They mailed it in on that one.

Parish brewery (Broussard, LA) is turning out some truly excellent stuff.  It was started by some former chemical engineers, so you know they're getting their measurements right (or former, so maybe not).  Their Envie Pale Ale is one of the best tasting and most balanced beers I have ever had.

Highly recommended if you're in the area (limited distribution).  http://www.parishbeer.com/home.html

(and note, I have no affliation with the brewery - just a fan)
    NOLA
  • Z_Eggineer
    Options
    I am so thankful that Arkansas has 2 really good breweries now (Core, Diamond Bear).  Of course, Core opened right down the street from where I grew up right after we moved away.