Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Will it ever warm up?

It has been a month since I used the Egg.  I miss it but I cant stand the cold with no relief in sight.  2 More months and I will be broke.  Too much take out food and eating out as I hate the food that we cook indoors now.  I may take some cooking classes to learn how to cook indoors.

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    robnybbq said:
    It has been a month since I used the Egg.  I miss it but I cant stand the cold with no relief in sight.  2 More months and I will be broke.  Too much take out food and eating out as I hate the food that we cook indoors now.  I may take some cooking classes to learn how to cook indoors.
    Look at the America's Test Kitchen online cooking school. You can learn at your own pace.In terms of cooking, once you get base techniques down everything else is pretty easy to handle. Most everything is based on a few techniques. 
  • Mauch5
    Mauch5 Posts: 33

Watch out there are going to be a ton of comments to your post questioning your manhood for not going outside and cooking when it is freezing outside.  I agree with you.  It is just too damn cold. 

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Spend some of that take out budget on a good set of Carharts and get outside and egg... That's one of the biggest benefits of owning the egg, the ability to eat great food in any weather, even during power outages...

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,668
    its time for you to get a mini and place it right next to the door so that you wont even need to step outside :)) im loving this cold weather, will be fishing this weekend and heading north to fish next weekend :D
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    hapster said:
    Spend some of that take out budget on a good set of Carharts and get outside and egg... That's one of the biggest benefits of owning the egg, the ability to eat great food in any weather, even during power outages...

I have not even gone outside for a cigar.

Also to be honest I have not had allot of time to Egg either.  Keep planning multiple hour cooks  (like hams, pork butts) but never have a 5-6 hour window to cook something.  I did not even have and hour's time to cook some spatchcock chickens last weekend for my daughters birthday party (plus 6 degrees out). 

I got a bunch of recipes I want to try.  Egg needs to be cleaned out (when I get it open and unfrozen).

Garnerville, NY
  • robnybbq
    I thought about a mini and almost bought one but I would probably not use it either in the winter let alone close to the house being terrified of embers burning the house down.

Garnerville, NY
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Do you have a dutch oven?  If so, try this:

...and this

The first I did in the oven (with the lid on).  The second I did on the egg (lid off) but I think it would still be good in the oven...just missing a little of the smoke flavor. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593

You can do it!!

I gotta go home and drop starter cubes down my top vent to get here unfrozen then tolerate -20 deg C temps and snow squals to cook two spatch chickens but im going to do it one way or another!!

Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • robnybbq

...and this

The first I did in the oven (with the lid on).  The second I did on the egg (lid off) but I think it would still be good in the oven...just missing a little of the smoke flavor. 
    Thiose ribs look awesome and I have been wanting to make some.

Thanks

Garnerville, NY
  • How about picking up a patio infrared heater? Some can get pretty toasty if you can block the wind. They've come down in price quite a bit in the last few years. Just be mindful of making it a fire safe setup.
    Gittin' there...
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    How about picking up a patio infrared heater? Some can get pretty toasty if you can block the wind. They've come down in price quite a bit in the last few years. Just be mindful of making it a fire safe setup.
    I have one, and while it works well to take the chill off, when it gets really cold, like it has been lately, you need to remember to bring the propane take in to the house to warm up for a few hours first. And I don't really like having a propane tank inside...A really cold propane tank just doesn't work right.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • insaneh
    insaneh Posts: 112
    Sorry, no comprende'. Too cold to egg? Nah. If it was ever that intolerable (which it hasn't been yet)
    I'd park it right outside a window and cook from there. image
    Dead smack in the middle of NH
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491

...and this

We just had that chicken Monday. It's some good comfort food.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Before I got the Egg, I was spending a couple of hours every winter weekend teaching myself how to cook large batch foods, such as pans of lasagna, or 3 cheese mac-n-cheese. It would help keep the house warm, and if I was successful, I would have a hot meal, a good left-over meal, and something that would hold in the freezer.

Here's a couple of suggestions. Try making quiche with pre-made pie crusts. It takes a little skill. The first few I did were soupy and undercooked. But now I can toss one together in maybe 20 minutes, the cooked pie is good for days in the fridge for reheating, and the filling can be made ahead and frozen if necessary.

Or baked beans. As fishless mentioned in a post some time ago, canned "baked" beans are just steamed or boiled. I happened to have a real Dutch Dutch oven, made in Holland that I found among my mother's kitchen appliances. The beans can be tossed together even w. a hangover (don't ask.). Soak beans. Mix ketchup, mustard, brown sugar, some 'lasses, S&P, maybe a dash of wooster. Layer beans with slices of salt pork and onion. Bake for many hours. House fills with warmth and wonderful aromas. In the end, you'll have something way better than out of a can, and probably cheaper.
  • robnybbq
    And another issue - since we have not been egging and eating out/take out my no/low carb diet is out the window - weight is coming back on fast.  Lost 30 over the Summer and gained at least 12 back since the fall.

I bought one of those propane heaters but its not put together yet and I used to have one and they are good for the fall/spring and no wind.  Not cold temps.

I also need to readjust the dome as it had shifted last time and I could not keep the temps steady where I wanted them and it needs a good cleaning. I really need to find time to do a good cook.  Maybe just going outside and lighting the egg and getting the meat on the egg and pulling off in a few hours would work.  I just need to find a 6 hour window to do some.  I dont want a cook where I have to watch over the Egg every few minutes.

Cooking in the dark sucks too.  I really enjoyed the Egg in the summer but this winter crap has to go.

Come on Summer.

Garnerville, NY
  • hapster
    If you want to keep the weight off bad enough... you'll find a way to get egging.

Why do you need a 6 hour window? Take an hour adjust and prep the egg, get her lit, up to temp and throw a butt on with a Maverick that you can glance at from inside your house. Go for a long low & slow that will yield you plenty of low carb delicious meat that you can eat for a few days
  • I have gotten to the point where I absolutely hate the winter also! I feel worse during winters, I wanna sleep more during winters, I lose interest in most everything during winters, I just plain could do without another winter. I might just migrate further south someday!
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • robnybbq
    hapster said:

If you want to keep the weight off bad enough... you'll find a way to get egging.

Why do you need a 6 hour window? Take an hour adjust and prep the egg, get her lit, up to temp and throw a butt on with a Maverick that you can glance at from inside your house. Go for a long low & slow that will yield you plenty of low carb delicious meat that you can eat for a few days

That would be a great plan. I don't have a few hours let alone time for a low and slow. Kids sports, work, etc. I get a few minutes here and there and when I get a little time it's too freaking cold to play with the egg.

Garnerville, NY
  • hapster
    The whole point of the low and slow is that you don't have to have time for it, only at the start and end and a way to occasionally check during the process... if you can actually sit and "watch" it with a drink and stick, that's simply a bonus, it's not needed for a great result.

Sounds like you may have bigger issues than the egg...
  • robnybbq
    A stick and drink would be great. Craving one badly. I see your pics and I am jealous.

I will not leave he egg lit when I am not home. If I do one overnight and it's not done in the morning by the time we have to leave I would have to take the meat off the egg undone. Yes leaving at 6:00 am on weekends for hockey games.

Garnerville, NY