Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Calibrate Thermometer Time

Options
The last time I checked my dome thermometer was 6 months ago and it was off reading 200 in Boiling water so for the heck of it I rechecked it again and it was off again reading 200 in a pot of boiling water. I cook raised in the dome often and don't believe I have ever touched any food with the probe, I am going to check it again before this weekend Super Bowl Cook. I always let my thermo pen decide when things are done. Just a reminder... good luck out there.
Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Never a bad decision to check those thermometers. I think last time I checked mine was either 20 or 40 off. I wondered why my cooks were getting done so much faster than I anticipated. Gonna check mine tonight.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• SpartanPride
    Options
    If it's off can you recalibrate or do you have to replace? I've heard of some digital replacements for the one that comes with the Egg. Anyone use those?
  • bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    Options
    @SpartanPride - It's very easy to adjust the thermometer - no need to replace. It should read 212F (or 100C) in boiling water. If it doesn't just turn the nut on the back of the thermometer to adjust the reading and test in boiling water again.

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    bodski said:
    @SpartanPride - It's very easy to adjust the thermometer - no need to replace. It should read 212F (or 100C) in boiling water. If it doesn't just turn the nut on the back of the thermometer to adjust the reading and test in boiling water again.
    Thank you bodski I should have included that info. Happy Grilling!
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE