Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bitter cold smoking

Options
Today is the day I planned to cold smoke my bacon.  Forecasted high temp is 9 degrees F, and wind chill is about -20.  Bacon went on at about 9:00 AM

I put a 60 W trouble light in the bottom of the egg to hopefully keep the temp above freezing, and set the AMNPS (A Maze N Pellet Smoker) on my aluminum drip pan which is resting on a lump reducing ring which cant be seen in the photo.  Using their pitmasters blend pellets, plan on an 8 hour smoke.  I put the bacon on a raised grid thinking I will get better smoke circulation higher in the dome, put foil over the AMNPS, though I don't think I have to worry about dripping rendered fat today - I may remove the foil later in the day.

I will post another pic when it is done.
XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
Rochester, NY

Comments

• SmokinOutBack
    Options
    Love the way you set the whole thing up.
    Cherry Hill, NJ
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    Update.  At about 4 hours I threw a lump of cheddar on with the bacon - duh why didn't I think of it before.  At 7 hours I retrieved the cheese and was surprised how warm it was in the egg.  Cheese and bacon are both quite warm - probably 75 degrees, this in spite of a sub zero wind chill.  The AMNPS will probably burn out at the 8 hour point, and I will pull the bacon off.

One lesson learned, I should have flipped and rotated the bacon every couple of hours - I will know the next time.  Also this is the second time I found the light was not needed.  The AMNPS generates a surprising amount of heat on its own!
    Rochester, NY
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Is the Rochester - Toronto ferry running still running? If you could put one of those on it for me I would be very grateful. Man that looks good! Picking up some bellies tomorrow. Going to try some pancetta this time too.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Justacookin
    Options
    Doing the same thing right now -7 ferhineight thought I would add some lump to get the temp up a little everything going great grab another beer look out gauge is at 750 run out pull everything off. Cut the burnt to a crisp off the belly. Start over no lump just the amazing smoker everything going great grab another beer look out now we are at 450 maze is in flames. I should probably post this on the other thread worst cook ever. bacon still has good flavor just going to let it sit and the package it. I need another beer.
    XL & waiting for my Mini Max Bloomington MN.
  • Cookinbob
    Options
    The Fast Ferry is long gone unfortunately.  We have to drive the long way.

If you have a cure recipe and method that is tried and true, would you mind sharing it?
    Rochester, NY
  • Cookinbob
    Options
    Sounds like you had some real issues @justacookin!   Is this your first try at smoking bacon?  Maybe you won't have to fry it up to enjoy!  At least your beer stays cold up there in MN!

Here are my finished pics.  I pulled it at about 8-1/2 hours, the AMNPS was out.  Bacon is definitely smoked!  Now resting in a ziploc in the fridge until Saturday when we will slice them up and vacuum pack.  Haven't stolen a taste of the finished product, will wait for my son to be here.

Again, next time I will rotate and flip the bacon, and I will go with just the pellet smoker for heat.  I am amazed at how the Egg warmed up and insulated in this weather.

My next cure is going to be a butt for shoulder/cottage/buckboard bacon or whatever you call it.
    Rochester, NY
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I just used the Rhulman basic maple on the last one. I'm going to add thyme, garlic and juniper berries next time. If I can find some maple flakes in time I'll use them instead of the syrup.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Justacookin
    Options

Cookinbob I made some a couple weeks ago turned out great. You mentioned you have not tried yours yet that may be the only benefit I did get from the way I messed this one up I did get a taste. Yes I had many issues yesterday also cut my finger and then I cooled what bacon I had left and sliced it up went to get the sealer in the basement and maybe another beer came up stairs left the sliced bacon on the counter and the dogs got at least 2 pounds of it. Not one word of this is made up either wish it was. From  17.88 pound side I have about 2 1/2 pounds now.

XL & waiting for my Mini Max Bloomington MN.
  • Cookinbob
    Options
    That is a very sad story :((
    Rochester, NY
  • pantsypants
    pantsypants Posts: 1,191
    Options
    Steven,
    If you find maple flakes can you grab me some . I cant find them anywhere !!
    thanks
    Toronto
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I can't remember where I got them. It was either Sobey's or Metro because it's Compliments brand. I've been looking everywhere and can't find them. I have a pound of maple sugar somewhere in the pantry. If I can find that I'll give you a piece. I used the last of what I had on the last bacon. I think it penetrates better than syrup. First time I saw them was outbound duty free at the airport but they were really pricy. I looked on the last trip but they had "pellets". I didn't bother.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Cookinbob
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I think Maple season starts in February, right?  Hopefully the flakes will become available for you guys.  I've not seen them down here, though I have never looked.  I guess I should!  do you need to look at a sugar shack?
    Rochester, NY
  • Cookinbob
    Options

Cookinbob I made some a couple weeks ago turned out great. You mentioned you have not tried yours yet that may be the only benefit I did get from the way I messed this one up I did get a taste. Yes I had many issues yesterday also cut my finger and then I cooled what bacon I had left and sliced it up went to get the sealer in the basement and maybe another beer came up stairs left the sliced bacon on the counter and the dogs got at least 2 pounds of it. Not one word of this is made up either wish it was. From  17.88 pound side I have about 2 1/2 pounds now.

You know, it is all a matter of perspective.  The dogs consider this a resounding success!
    Rochester, NY
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options

Steven,
    If you find maple flakes can you grab me some . I cant find them anywhere !!
    thanks

Get some Maple sugar. It's milled flakes. Goes great in oatmeal and grits.