Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st Egg Spatchcock -- Success!!

Did my 1st spatchcock on the egg tonight and it was great. Seasoned with Plowboys Yardbird which was also a 1st for me. It was very good as well. Cooked on raised grid at 400. Got just a touch dark on top, I turned it over direct fire just at the end to crisp up skin a little more and left for about 30 secs to long but it was still great. Inside was very juicy! My wife typically doesn't even eat the skin and she ate it and commented on how good it was. Also was my first time using a new thermapen, wow....fast!! Overall a very fun cook with all the new toys!!

XL Egg Owner Since Dec 2013 - Louisiana

Comments

• pretzelb
    pretzelb Posts: 158
    How long did it take? I want to try this in the near future but I need to raise the grid first.
    XL egg owner, home brewer, jogger, coffee roaster, gamer 
  • corey24
    corey24 Posts: 386
    An hour. Chicken was 4 1/2 lbs. Cooked to 165 in breast

• I have yet to cook a chicken "spatchcock". I've liked the way my whole birds turn out. You folks are going to make me have to try it though. Nice looking bird by the way!
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • I have yet to cook a chicken "spatchcock". I've liked the way my whole birds turn out. You folks are going to make me have to try it though. Nice looking bird by the way!
    when you do do it you will never do it any other way! easiest and best way to cook a chicken! raised direct 400 for one hour! try it soon! 
    Brandon, MS
  • I have done a few spatchcock and a lot beer can style. Both good. No real preference. The whole thing about using a beer can and swirling steamy beer giving the bird flavor is bunk in my opinion. I use a beer can chicken stand without the can of beer in it. to me the heat going up into the bird aids in uniform cooking instead of sticking a can in there.

Spatchcock cooks faster. Can also get a nice crisp on the skin.
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Corey, place the chicken naked in your fridge the day before you cook it, and it will crisp up the skin so you don't have to worry about crisping it at end of cook. Credit for this tip goes to someone else on the forum... Just can't remember who.....
  • corey24
    corey24 Posts: 386
    odie91 said:

Corey, place the chicken naked in your fridge the day before you cook it, and it will crisp up the skin so you don't have to worry about crisping it at end of cook. Credit for this tip goes to someone else on the forum... Just can't remember who.....

Thanks! I did that for a couple hours but I guess not quite long enough. It was probably crispy enough for average person but I like mine pretty crispy.