Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's Your Dream Egg Home?

I'm going to be starting construction on a new home later this summer.  I want something built to keep my large egg in as right now it's just in the nest.  I am thinking of doing some type of outside kitchen that can be used mostly for entertaining during nice weather and just for egging in the winters.  (I live in central IL so winters can be harsh)  I'm looking for any opinions/thoughts on your experiences.  Anything I should keep in mind like should the bottom vent be exposed for better air flow or is ok for it to be "built in" and hidden away?  Any tips and tricks would be much appreciated.
Large and Small BGE
Central, IL

Comments

• I think that the bottom needs to be open and accesable for 2 reasons 1st being air flow 2nd access to clean out the ash ! 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    I thought about the ash aspect of it and have seen where people have just built a cabinet door to access the bottom to get the ash out.  Just not sure of much of a pain in the butt it would be dealing with it in a cabinet.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• I'd be careful with any sort of a wooden enclosed cabinet.  You would have to have it open for airflow regardless, but sparks can easily fly out of the lower vent, and quite a bit of heat can radiate out from there, especially if you are using a HighQue grate.  Go on the safe side and leave it completely open IMHO
    Pentwater, MI
  • saluki2007
    edited January 2014
    I plan to stay away from wood.  This is kind of what what I meant by a cabinet door.

From what I'm gather, from the design of something like this you cut the hole large enough to leave about an inch to an inch and half around so that air can come in without leaving the door open.  I would imagine you could have a hole in the back as well to let more air in.  Just wondering if anyone has a similar setup.  I kind of like this look better than these options:

But I will trump looks for better functionality.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• I built an an outdoor kitchen so-to-speak out of landscaping blocks a few years back. Right now I have my big Weber gas grill, an electric smoker, and fridge sitting there, and plan to add my LBGE this Spring. Has a paver floor and a wall on the other side. The good thing is you can add or subtract anything by simply adding or subtracting blocks, and no wood to worry about. I cover the entire thing with a huge heavy-duty tarp to keep things out of the elements.
    Cherry Hill, NJ
  • pretzelb
    pretzelb Posts: 158
    I've only had my XL for a few weeks so my basic need now is storage for all the extra pieces and the lump. It would be nice to have all the tools outside to cut down on trips in/out. 
    XL egg owner, home brewer, jogger, coffee roaster, gamer 
  • saluki2007
    pretzelb  I agree with you on having some sort of storage.  I have an idea of creating some sort of pull out drawers for keeping lump and wood chunks also.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    edited January 2014

I would opt for this build, but keep the egg open at the bottom (remove door).  If it has to be open to cook, then it really doesn't have a function.  Lose the door.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Being over here in Dunlap I can attest to our central Illinois winters, but also the rainy season we get so what seems to be missing to me is some sort of a roof covering it. Probably would be smart if it is a free standing detached roof so in the remote chance of fire it would not jump to your home. BTW I personally would not enclose my egg if I were you as IMHO the shape of the egg is the uniqueness and beauty not to be concealed.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • saluki2007
    The more I think about it I'm with you RRP on not enclosing it and "showing it off".  The roof of the house will extend out over the patio, so it will be protected from the elements.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Saluki, I plan on doing an outdoor build this summer. Treated lumber, synthetic stone and a stone or redwood top. Cedar doors with roll out metal trays. Planning on bumping the egg out about 6 inches to give it some character as it will be home for 2 eggs. I like the openness of showing off the egg
  • The more I looked around, the more the BGE cooking island seemed to be for me.  I've always disliked the fact that when you grill, your back is to the rest of the party and to the guests.  The cool shape of the island, especially with the foot rail, allows for a bar type set-up with your friends able to sit on the other side while you grill out.  Yes, it's expensive!  But the lifetime parts warranty and it's built specifically with a BGE in mind made it the right choice for me.

LBGE

Reisterstown, MD

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Definitely covered...ceiling or roof vent fan..electric plugs at the top for lights...water for a sink...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • saluki2007
    My reaction when I saw the price tag for that.

Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    I don't know 100% what I would want, but I wouldn't mind one these:

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    My reaction when I saw the price tag for that.

I can't believe he wont stop.. how much soda is in that can!!  
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • saluki2007
    cazzy that would make one hell of a hot tub.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• tcampbell
    tcampbell Posts: 771
    I built an an outdoor kitchen so-to-speak out of landscaping blocks a few years back. Right now I have my big Weber gas grill, an electric smoker, and fridge sitting there, and plan to add my LBGE this Spring. Has a paver floor and a wall on the other side. The good thing is you can add or subtract anything by simply adding or subtracting blocks, and no wood to worry about. I cover the entire thing with a huge heavy-duty tarp to keep things out of the elements.
    I done the same thing maybe not as nice as most kitchens but should last a lifetime.
  • pretzelb
    pretzelb Posts: 158
    I had a few more thoughts after my cook tonight. 
    • Position the egg so you can see the thermometer from an inside window in case it is cold out
    • Covered by roof if possible to cut down on rain and hot sun
    • If covered by a roof add extra lights so you can see in the dark

XL egg owner, home brewer, jogger, coffee roaster, gamer 
  • RRP
    pretzelb said:
    I had a few more thoughts after my cook tonight. 
    • Position the egg so you can see the thermometer from an inside window in case it is cold out
    I agree on positioning the egg itself to be visible from inside,  but if you take that spring clip off of the dome thermometer probe (and throw it in the trash where it belongs) then you can turn the thermometer so that the desired temperature will be visible from MANY feet away when it is pointed up to "12 o'clock". I am always amazed that people think that clip inside the dome is needed since gravity will keep the thermometer in place! Ron
  • I had my ideal outdoor kitchen built last summer.  For me it was having two eggs, covered, an outdoor sink, lots of counter space, fridge, and a TV.

• SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,500

Morning Saluki:

Here is how mine ended up...cabinets are made of marine polymer...drawers under the large Eggs hold various smoking wood chunks...of course living in Florida I don't need the "roof" that much, screened in "pool enclosure" is just fine for the smoke to "rise"

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• SSN686 said:

Morning Saluki:

Here is how mine ended up...cabinets are made of marine polymer...drawers under the large Eggs hold various smoking wood chunks...of course living in Florida I don't need the "roof" that much, screened in "pool enclosure" is just fine for the smoke to "rise"

Wow!!! Now that's a cool setup!
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • @SSN686 Did you build the cabinets yourself?  I was looking into marine polymer, it looks easy to work with if you have the right equipment, but the sheets seem hard to find.  If you bought them, could you tell me where?  I really like the idea.

Thanks,
    Kevin
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • RRP
    SSN686 said:

Morning Saluki:

Wow!!! Now that's a cool setup!
    What is even MORE cool is meeting Jay and his lovely wife, Kathy, in person at an Eggfest. This forum hasn't yet grasped the brotherhood developed from attending eggfests  - other than perhaps the "cluster-thingees" at the annual Mother house. Trust me - Eggdom is MUCH larger than you might believe from this forum.
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,500

Morning Kevin:

I had the cabinets built by a company here in Tampa... www.werever.com I gave them some plans that I had created and they special cut some of the sections (like the Egg platform with drawers)...if you click on the link below my signature it should take you to my so-called website that shows a bit more about the building of the kitchen.

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• saluki2007
    Great looking pictures guys!

RRP: Never thought about the dome thermometer that way and it makes perfect sense.  Can't wait to go home and throw my clip away after work tonight 
    :))
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• tcampbell
    mrosener said:
    I had my ideal outdoor kitchen built last summer.  For me it was having two eggs, covered, an outdoor sink, lots of counter space, fridge, and a TV.

Nice setup.I can always wish.
  • tcampbell
    SSN686 said:

Morning Saluki:

Man thats nice
  • RRP
    Great looking pictures guys!

RRP: Never thought about the dome thermometer that way and it makes perfect sense.  Can't wait to go home and throw my clip away after work tonight 
    :))
    Folklore of that placement comes from stock car racers who would turn their speedometers and tachcometers in the dash so at a mere glance as long as the needles were pointed straight up then they knew they were running at optimum speed and motor revolutions.