Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Discrepancy between grate and dome?

Options
Cooking 2 pork butts. Was going to do turbo method.
Grate temp is 290. Dome says 410. Is that a problem?
If so why is it happening and how is it fixed ?
Fortunately not cooking for anyone but myself so no real hurry

Comments

• TurtleTiger
    Options
    IMO it would seem one of your thermometers is out of calibration. Try hooking the grate thermometer to the dome pin and see what it reads?
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    If you are cooking indirect, using setter or AR with a stone, it is possible that the dome and grid temp may be as much as 100ºF different for the first 20 minutes or so, dome being higher. After that they should settle in to be between 20ºF and 50ºF apart. After a couple of hours, they will get much closer. 
    I'd trust the grid thermo, assuming it is a MAverick or equivalent. Pull your dome thermo and check calibration. 
    (BTW to many old timers the grid is what you cook on, the grate is what the charcoal sits on)
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Larrymac
    Larrymac Posts: 103
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Yes I'm an old timer.
  • Larrymac
    Larrymac Posts: 103
    Options
    Grid temp has been steady 291-293 with Mav.
    Dome has now dropped to 395. Thanks for the heads up
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    I have seen the same even an hour into a cook. Go figure
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    I've not seen that large a difference but if everything is in calibration then "believe your indications". 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options

A couple of things could be in play here.

One, the grate probe is to close to the cold meat.

Two, one or both your thermometers could be off, with the dome more likely to be off.

• revolver1
    revolver1 Posts: 372
    Options
    Check your dome probe and go for it.  It will take 5 hours@350  to finish the butt and it will be fine. 
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    FWIW, when I encountered the large difference, I checked cal on all three probes and they were good!  At the end of the day (or the cook) I go by the probe temp in the meat, and have not over or under cooked anything.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY