Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beer and Cheese Soup

Options
Richard Fl
Richard Fl Posts: 5
edited November -1 in Soups, Stews, Chilis

Ingredients

6 cups milk
2 12 Ozs Cans Beer, divided
1 40 Ozs Pkg Process cheese spread
1 10 Ozs Can Chicken broth
1 tsp worcestershire sauce
3 dashes hot sauce, or to taste
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons cornstarch
garlic/onion croutons, for garnish

Instructions

Combine milk and 2 1/2 beer in large (min. 5-qt.) Dutch oven. Cook over low heat until thoroughly heated, stirring constantly. Add cheese spread, broth, Worcestershire sauce, and hot sauce. Cook over low heat until thoroughly heated, stirring constantly.

In small bowl, combine cornstarch and remaining beer. Add to cheese mixture; simmer, stirring constantly, until thickened (do not boil).

Notes

RRP: When it says 40 Ozs Pkg Process cheese spread I assume that is the product commonly known as Cheese Whiz...or am I wrong? We have a local Irish restaurant that makes a great beer/cheese soup and just reading the ingredients makes me want to yell BINGO - bet that's a close enough start to matching their recipe!

Richard Fl: I have never made this recipe, but in previous cheese soup attempts I use Velvetta or some times some grated SHARP cheddar. Cheese Whiz probably would work like velvetta.

Editors Note: Let's get some folks to try this and hone it to be a great recipe, perfect for cold Winter days, IT SOUNDS SOOOO GOOD!

P.S. Do you think a roux could be used instead of cornstarch to add even more depth of flavor?

Number of Servings: Makes 4 quarts

Time to Prepare:

Comments