Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Texas Red... Please Don't Tell Mickey

Options
Carolina Q
Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
edited January 2014 in EggHead Forum
... but I would like to make a pot of Texas Red. Only tried chili without beans once and it was his idea. I humored him. :)

From the reviews of this recipe, it sounds pretty good, but I thought I'd ask some of you Texas boys (and girls) to take a look and tell me if you think it's reasonably authentic. And if it sounds like it would be tasty. 

I don't know all that much about heat, but I really don't want to spend 8 hours wishing I'd never tried it.The recipe calls for 6-8 of any combination of these...  New Mexico, guajillo, or pasilla chiles. I have mild NM chilis and some guajillos. I'm thinking 4 NM and 2 quajillos. Will I be sorry? 

Also, I assume this should be done in the egg with the lid off the DO to get the smoke flavor. Yes? No? If yes, since this supposedly a Texas chili, mesquite for smoke?

Or is this a lousy recipe and I should just keep lookin'? 

Any advice appreciated. Thanks!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
Central Connecticut 

Comments

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    ... but I would like to make a pot of Texas Red. Only tried chili without beans once and it was his idea. I humored him. :)

From the reviews of this recipe, it sounds pretty good, but I thought I'd ask some of you Texas boys (and girls) to take a look and tell me if you think it's reasonably authentic. And if it sounds like it would be tasty. 

I don't know all that much about heat, but I really don't want to spend 8 hours wishing I'd never tried it.The recipe calls for 6-8 of any combination of these...  New Mexico, guajillo, or pasilla chiles. I have mild NM chilis and some guajillos. I'm thinking 4 NM and 2 quajillos. Will I be sorry? 

Also, I assume this should be done in the egg with the lid off the DO to get the smoke flavor. Yes? No? If yes, since this supposedly a Texas chili, mesquite for smoke?

Or is this a lousy recipe and I should just keep lookin'? 

Any advice appreciated. Thanks!

That's looks like a good recipe! I would put one or two more of the NM chiles in the mix. Do it with the lid off the D.O.......mesquite would be fine!
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    LOL, I don't know if I should listen to you, John! I tried your recipe once, left out half the hot stuff and it was STILL too hot!  :D

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Don't you just float the chilies in the sauce? They aren't going to give up the worst of their heat that way. Now Sunburn, he makes a pot O' chili

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Don't you just float the chilies in the sauce? They aren't going to give up the worst of their heat that way. Now Sunburn, he makes a pot O' chili
    Is it time to bring out the famous throwdown "results" photo??!  :))
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    A bottle of ancho chili powder, a bottle of cayenne pepper powder, a bottle of jalapeno chili powder and a bottle of habanero chili powder and half a pound of beef and a tomato. :((

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    I don't know what the hell that brown sugar is doing in that recipe, but the rest sounds great!  
    I make chili often through the winter, and don't use recipes anymore, just do it slightly different every time; it rarely sucks.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    I'm as Texas as it gets. And I cook it with beans more than not . I use Chipotle peppers in Adobe out of a can. I use it in lots of stuff . it gives smokiness and heat.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • ericp
    ericp Posts: 152
    Options
    @egret. Definitely time!!!!
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    And Steven is another one I don't listen to when it comes to heat.  :D

Botch, thanks... the brown sugar goes in last so I can taste it before I add and see whether I like it as is or not. Thanks.

Texaswig, actually, I think the beans vs no beans is more of a fun way for people to bust each other's chops. Thanks for the tip on the chipotle.

Another question... I'm used to ground beef in my chili. Is it just me or do the chunks of beef in the pic seem awfully large?

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Austin  Egghead
    Options
    Michael, according to Frank X Tolbert's book "A Bowl of Red" the original recipe for a bowl of red was:" bits size cuts of mature meats and kidney suet (optional) cooked slowly and for a long time in boon companionship with the pulp of chili pepper, crushed powder from the curly leaves of oregano, ground cumin seeds and chopped garlic,"  No vegetables, no tomatoes or chopped onions. (those ingredients are attributed to Pedernales River Chili that Lady Bird Johnson served.  
    So the recipe you linked would be considered a combination of Pedernales River Red and South Texas with the addition of vinegar.  BTW no cook's wagon would have beef stock, just plain old waters would be the stewing liquid.  
    Thanks for the post I have not opened Tolbert's book for a while and I forgot how enjoyable it is.  
    BTW this many generation Texan would never put beans in her chili, beans are served on the side.  

Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Thanks, Joan. Maybe I'll play around with it... lose the onions and beef stock, add some Mexican oregano. Enjoy your book. :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,761
    Options
    i wouldnt worry about the heat with those particular peppers, they are pretty mild.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    And Steven is another one I don't listen to when it comes to heat.  :D

Botch, thanks... the brown sugar goes in last so I can taste it before I add and see whether I like it as is or not. Thanks.

Texaswig, actually, I think the beans vs no beans is more of a fun way for people to bust each other's chops. Thanks for the tip on the chipotle.

Another question... I'm used to ground beef in my chili. Is it just me or do the chunks of beef in the pic seem awfully large?

A little big my friend on the CHUNKS..... Oh, NO BEANS
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Carolina Q
    Options
    i wouldnt worry about the heat with those particular peppers, they are pretty mild.
    Thanks. Been burned before so I thought I'd ask.  :D

Mickey said:
    A little big my friend on the CHUNKS..... Oh, NO BEANS
    Thanks, bud. No beans this time around... unless I have to add them after the fact. Hahaha!!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut