Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

2nd Annual Egghead Weightloss Competition

2»

Comments

• EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,300
    edited January 2014

Getting out lots with the new pup

He is oblivious to the snow

down to 196 this week

Shane

I've been walking my dog about a mile per night. Good stuff.

Check that, I just mapped it. 1.75 miles. I need to bump it up to 2 laps.
    ·
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 17,128
    yesterday was 30 days on the octoberfest diet, 15 pounds down. need a new plan for the next 30 days. todays lunch

·
  • Spring ChickenSpring Chicken Posts: 9,696
    edited January 2014

I'm not competing in this competition but I would like to offer some encouragement to those who are. 

I began my diet on the morning of November 19th.  I had had enough.  I wanted to do something about losing weight starting right that moment. 

I dug out the South Beach Diet book and re-read it, paying particular attention to the "why" and "how" I got so overweight in the first place.  And just like the first time I read it, it all made sense.  I was eating the wrong foods, too much of it, and not exercising (probably because I felt so tired and was constantly nursing joint pain and just plain feeling miserable). 

So the day started off with less than half the breakfast calories I normally took in.  Surprisingly, I didn't die.  Then four hours later a very light lunch consisting of some turkey slices wrapped in a Romaine lettuce leaf with a teaspoon of very thin low-cal sauce.  And water.  Then armed with a list of what items to get for the next few days, a visit to the grocery.  I thought I would most certainly die when I smelled the foods cooking in the deli, or see displays of beautiful foods just asking for me to buy and eat them.  Well, I didn't die, nor did I purchase anything that wasn't on the list. 

Then we came home and cleaned out bags of all kinds of foods and took them to a neighbor.  Some items had not been opened, including steaks and breads and desserts and chips and chips and chips, and so on until our kitchen was completely bear of all the temptation foods we loved.  Now we were on our own with what we had on hand.

I had weighed myself that morning and came in at 311.8 pounds.  My blood pressure was okay at 118/52, probably due to blood pressure and cholesterol pills.  I began right then keeping a daily log of my weight and blood pressure.

Monday, January 27th, just two days ago, I visited my doctor for a routine check-up.  I had a copy of my daily log with me.  I weighed in 27 pounds less than my last visit.  My doctor was impressed with the loss but cautioned me about trying to lose weight too quickly.  He said too fast and it can damage my heart. 

He also told me that the 1,000 or less daily calorie intake was too little and that I should increase my calories to at least 1,500 per day (my 'maintenance calories' to maintain my 311 pounds was 2,700 based upon my age and inactive lifestyle).  Even at 1,500 I was cutting my calorie intake by almost half, so I was pleased to hear that I could eat a little more.

Then he took a look at my blood work numbers and they looked so good that he said he may completely discontinue my cholesterol and blood pressure meds if I continue to lose weight. Another ten pounds just might do it. 

So here I am, down almost 10% of my former weight and I feel better, my clothes fit better, I sleep better, and I didn't die from changing my lifestyle, especially the part about food.

I fully expect to reach the second leg of my goal (40 lbs) by my next visit.  The first leg was to lose 30 pounds and I can do that by this weekend. So I'm already looking forward to losing 10 more.

And not only am I alive, I'm REALLY alive and doing stuff I thought I could never do again.

Best wishes to all of you who are trying.  It's worth it.

Spring "Less Of Me Is A Good Thing" Chicken

Spring Texas USA

·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,300
    Strong Work, Mr. Chicken.

I basically looked at myself and realized that I have gained 3-5 lbs per year since college. I wanted to get back to where I was while I am still young and not dealing with diseases of excess, as well as set an example for my children.
    ·
  • 183.8 this am. Down 12.2.
    Madison, CT
    LBGE June 2013. 

·
  • Didn't weigh in this morning will update tomorrow
    ·
  • gmacgmac Posts: 568
    261 today after being sick for a week. Down 9. Need to keep it off though, worried a lot of it is just water from being sick.
    Mt Elgin Ontario
    ·
  • Mr HollowayMr Holloway Posts: 2,034

Not a good weekend

Anniversary

Moving party

Superbowl

Up a pound

197lbs

Shane

·
  • Stable at 203
    ·

Missed last Mondays weigh in but was happy with this week weight of 193

another touch of a stomach bug helped me along

horrible at work this season, half of the department was off one night :-&

Shane

·
  • jls9595jls9595 Posts: 1,320
    It has not been a productive two weeks as far as my weight loss goes. I may be back up a pound, I didn't check this morning but as of yesterday I was at 188.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
    ·
  • I lost last week but not this week. Not sure what's up with that. I'm down to 181.6 or a little better than 7% so far.
    Madison, CT
    LBGE June 2013. 

·
    edited March 2014

Stress is a wonderful thing >:)

broke the 190's

sitting at 189

Shane

·
  • fletcherfamfletcherfam Posts: 873
    As a reminder the competition ends this Sunday!!
    ·
    Dang. I don't even want to weigh in lol.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
    ·
    edited April 2014

Final weight is 190.

Wanted to be in the 180's, but this is maintainable

Thanks again, for the push to keep the winter weight off

Shane

·
    Make sure to send final. Pictures of you and the scale and a date to me to close it out
    ·
    I gained three pounds since the start of the contest so I'm not gonna bother with pics :)>-
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
    ·
  • It's Sunday and my final weight is 172.6 at 6am. Total weight loss is 23.4. Wanted to get 160 but that may have been a bit ambitious for this amount of time. Gongrats to all who lost.  =D> 

Today, however, is about Egged burgers and dogs and cold beer. 
    Madison, CT
    LBGE June 2013. 

·
    Nice work! Send me the pictures
    ·

Great job CY

Congrats on the weight loss

Shane

·
  • gmacgmac Posts: 568
    I'm up about 5 over the course of the competition too so you can just use my initial pic as my final :)
    Thanks for putting this all together and congratulations to the ones who did actually lose some weight.  
    Mt Elgin Ontario
    ·
    I am up one pound. Oh well, thanks for putting this together. Just not the best forum for me to get motivated to eat less :))
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
    ·
  • Thanks everyone. 

In 2012 I dropped from 202 down to 165 in 6 mos using weight watchers with the wife. At the start of this competition I was back up to 196. I saw myself only a short way from being up in the 200s again. I decided to eat like I did back when I was dieting again and stuck to it. It feels good to be back down again. Thanks @fletcherfam for starting this.

@fletcherfam‌, I sent the pics to your email this morning. They should be in your inbox. Let me know if I need to send them again. 

Madison, CT
    LBGE June 2013. 

·