Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jerky; Pile on single grate or Spaced on Multi-Layer Grates

Options
Eggecutioner
Eggecutioner Posts: 628
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been cruising through the archives looking for some jerky recipes. It's getting on to firearm deer season, so I need to make some venison jerky. All the while, I have been contemplating using multiple racks for good smoke and heat circulation. Then, I started seeing all these older postings about this meat stack on Gfw's site.[p]So here is the question. Since 2000, when there appears to be a meat "pile" movement, when making jerky has anybody changed their minds to using the multiple rack? Or do you all prefer the "pile" method?[p]Eggecutioner

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    2005_0110Image0006.jpg
    <p />Eggecutioner,
    ive done it 3 ways, pile, rack, and hanging. a little more work hanging for the setup, but less time moving things during the cook.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Eggecutioner
    Options
    fishlessman,[p]Did you need to move things around when you used the multiple racks? I am leaning toward the multiple racks, because I built one for butts that didn't work so well for that. Well it worked fine, I just couldn't fit 60 pounds-o-butt in the egg.[p]So I am thinking it might be better for jerky. I can adjust the levels with the all thread. So I think I could get 2 more racks in this rig if I spaced them like 1" apart.[p]Here it is...
    P1010263.jpg

P1010258.jpg

• fishlessman
    Options
    Eggecutioner,
    i like the hanging method the best because its in one layer. moisture drips off the meat and is turned to steam and leaves the egg thru the vent. when there are layers the meat drips onto the next layer down and keeps the layer wetter. the pile method keeps the moisture in the egg the longest.
    the egg presents 2 problems with jerkey, one being that it holds the moisture in, and the other is that every time you open the egg at low temps to move something you add oxygen to the system and it raises the temps. keeping a stable temp below 175 becomes difficult if you have to open the egg up. i think you could hang more jerkey on one rack than you could lay flat on 2. the picture shows about 5 pounds of bottom round hanging to one side.

fukahwee maine

• MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    Options
    hangingjerky.jpg
    <p />Eggecutioner[p]I can get 6 lbs. of brisket this way.[p]Works good.[p]Mick

• fishlessman
    Options
    MickeyT,
    have you used other cuts for jerkey, ive always used bottom round, but see others using every thing from brisket to top sirloin cuts. might try experimenting this winter

fukahwee maine

• eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    Options
    Eggecutioner,[p]hanging the jerky is hands down the best, fastest way to go. If you go to wess B's site i think he provides a link to a PDF that shows how to rig up a hanging rack for jerky.[p]there are probably easier ways to do it though.[p]Scott

• Eggecutioner
    Options
    Mickey T and Fishlessman:[p]I now understand that hanging is the best and that is the way I will proceed.[p]I see from your pics that MickeyT is set up indirect and Fishlessman is set up direct. Does it really matter when the temp is going to be so low? What are the advantages/disadvantages of these set ups?[p]Eggecutioner
  • ShortRib
    ShortRib Posts: 180
    Options
    Eggecutioner,
    I think using multiple grates will be the best. It is easy to rotate the grids and doesn't take as much time as would to hang them.[p]You can get stackable cooling racks anyplace. I bought mine in Target for cheap.[p]Jerky1.jpg[p]Jerky2.jpg

• fishlessman
    Options
    Eggecutioner,
    i use old burnt lump and only fill up just to a little over the holes in the fire box. ive been able to maintain temps at about 145 for long periods doing this direct. if i had a problem holding temps this low i would switch to an inderect set up. if you go direct, you need to be high in the dome, not just a raised grill, and you cant have your temps spiking much higher than 175. by the way, one of my eggs can do this and the other cannot and i dont know why.

fukahwee maine

• Eggecutioner
    Options
    fishlessman,[p]Well, I only have one egg to choose from so it WILL work (I hope). I made some hunter sausages a couple years ago and smoked/cured them in a metal water smoker in November. Now that was no fun at all![p]Typically, how long do you smoke/dry your jerky? [p]Also, do you use cure in your marinade for jerky?

• fishlessman
    Options
    Eggecutioner,
    depending on the temp you can control, figure 8 plus or minus 2 hours. i go by checking it once an hour starting about 6 hours into the cook. i remove a piece and allow it to cool and bend it. if it looks right its done

fukahwee maine

• Eggecutioner
    Options
    fishlessman,[p]Thanks
  • MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    Options
    fishlessma[p]I use brisket because of the texture. Historically beef jerky should tear with the grain. Top or bottom round does not. Brisket allows you to marinate it longer also. [p]I have tried both. I think you would like the brisket.[p]Mick[p]