Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tilapia on the Egg?

corey24
corey24 Posts: 386
edited January 2014 in EggHead Forum

Have you guys cooked Tilapia filets on grill? If so, how?  I have some of those cedar planks to try out over direct heat?  Would that be good? Other ideas?

Thanks!!

XL Egg Owner Since Dec 2013 - Louisiana

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    I had decent luck at about 400 raised direct. If you go this route make sure you clean your grid really good and right before you put the fish on wipe the grid with a paper towel soaked in olive oil or a non stick spray. My best result have been on the CI griddle. Get the egg to about 500 and let the CI get good and hot and you basically sear the fish a couple of mins each side. I use a creole seasoning when doin it this way.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • @corey24 - I cooked them direct at 300 until the tilapia was done.  
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Blecch.  I'm not sure Tilapia is even a fish.  (and granted, it does a good job of soaking up whatever flavor you put on it, but if you look up the way it is farmed and the sustainability and nutrition aspects of farmed tilapia, you will pretty much select anything else).  (Also granted, I am lucky enough to live in a place where fresh seafood is readily available, so YMMV and take that with a grain of salt).
    NOLA
  • corey24
    Any thoughts on how it may do on those cedar planks?

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795

I've done a variety of fish on cedar planks with good results but I've never done tilapia.  I suspect it will do very well. 

There are some keys to cedar plank cooking that I've learned the hard way.

- Soak the plank - 30 minutes seems to be adequate but I try to do it for an hour.  It does not impress anyone (least of all my in-laws....) when the plank catches fire and starts burning the fish.

- Keep the temp no higher than 350.  Even a moist plank can dry out and catch fire when things get really hot.

Depending on the thickness of the fish, it will take 20 - 30 minutes to cook it.  It takes about 10 minutes for the plank to heat up and start the cooking process.  The beauty of plank cooking is that there is a fairly generous window (about 10 minutes) where the fish is cooked but still moist - as opposed to about a 1 minute window when cooking fish direct.

The fish will get some flavor from the plank and will also get the flavor of the rub or whatever else you put on it (like lemon slices) - enjoy.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• I really like tilapia marinated in some olive oil and mesquite seasoning then cooked over a cedar plank. Damn good
    Pentwater, MI
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    buzd504 said:

Blecch.  I'm not sure Tilapia is even a fish.  (and granted, it does a good job of soaking up whatever flavor you put on it, but if you look up the way it is farmed and the sustainability and nutrition aspects of farmed tilapia, you will pretty much select anything else).  (Also granted, I am lucky enough to live in a place where fresh seafood is readily available, so YMMV and take that with a grain of salt).

If I saw what a catfish ate I'd never touch one but they're damn good fried. I fed cattle as a kid at a slaughter yard. The flatulence alone could make you rethink eating meat. Hot dogs. ..lips and **** but great at a ballgame.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    I grill Tilapia once a week and do a simple EVOO and Raging River Direct at 375/400 and it always comes out great, I do however have a close grilling buddy who refuses to eat Tilapia for the same reasons Buzd504 has explained. It always comes out great but it's no Salmon. 
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • twlangan
    twlangan Posts: 307
    My very first cook when I got my new Egg was tilapia. Would have been something else I'm sure, but I had just gotten it into my table and it happened to be Good Friday.

It was great stuff and I've done it several times since. I coat with olive oil and sprinkle lemon pepper seasoning on it. Cook at 350 indirect. Only takes 10-15 min. Use a wide spatula to apply and remove them since they fall apart very easily.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    I think when using planks you want too cook direct to induce smoke, but it is technically cooking.the fish indirectly.

So set up as a direct cook, but it will cook as indirect on a plank.
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    edited January 2014
    What are you looking for as an internal temp on that fish?  140-145?

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    edited January 2014
    I cook tilapia filets quite often (had one tonight in fact) but don't recall ever planking them as they're pretty thin and fragile and I prefer to cook them direct similar to what Mattman said or I throw them on a grillgrate. They're a quick cook (about 3 mins per side) at 400-420. I pulled mine tonight at an IT of 130 and in a couple of minutes of rest it went up to about 138. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos This was a cook with some hake loins for the Mrs. I reserve my planks for whole fish or salmon.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    After doing a little reading up on tilapia, I haven't bought it in years, probably 5 or more. I suggest if you like tilapia, don't ever research into it. Or farm raised fish from Asia or South America. Sometimes not knowing is better and you can't unlearn what you learn.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• corey24
     That fish looks great......

• Whaler
    Whaler Posts: 110
    Louisiana , Tilapia, Come on man !
    Pensacola,FL
  • I have done tilapia on cedar planks several times over the past few weeks with pecan wood.  When compared to salmon on cedar planks, I think it cooks a bit faster, but I must admit that is very dependent on the thickness of the filet. I shoot for 350 direct for about 8-10 minutes.  I put a bit of simple rub like Jamaican Firewalk and EVOO. As far as the quality of tilapia, ignorance is bliss!!  
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Griffin said:
    After doing a little reading up on tilapia, I haven't bought it in years, probably 5 or more. I suggest if you like tilapia, don't ever research into it. Or farm raised fish from Asia or South America. Sometimes not knowing is better and you can't unlearn what you learn.
    True dat. Did you see the Chinese one with the dead pigs floating around the fish farms?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Griffin said:
    Yeah, I'm with Griffin etc on this one.
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • corey24
    Whaler said:

Louisiana , Tilapia, Come on man !

Lol.....North Louisiana. Not quite as abundant with fresh fish as the south although we have our fair share.