Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

fajitas...tortilla experiment

Flat iron steak fajitas tonight and my first run at homemade tortillas. What I learned. ..

Higher heat...400 dome wasn't hot enough
Roll thinner...they rise more than I thought

They were good and the family loved them...Jake ate 2 by themselves. I'll definitely try them again. Used the pioneer woman recipe which seems to be common. Even on my first try they were better than store bought.
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Looks good, what did you use to season them?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited January 2014
    henapple said:

Flat iron steak fajitas tonight and my first run at homemade tortillas. What I learned. ..

Higher heat...400 dome wasn't hot enough
    Roll thinner...they rise more than I thought

They were good and the family loved them...Jake ate 2 by themselves. I'll definitely try them again. Used the pioneer woman recipe which seems to be common. Even on my first try they were better than store bought.

Looks great tony! Do you want me to get you my grandma's tortilla recipe?
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    @Cazzy. ..duh.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    @Cazzy-If you are allowed to release home recipes then fire away.  BTW-still recalling your B'day adventure!!  We should all be so lucky at least once  :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    Damn fine looking meal. I'd hit it.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    henapple said:

@Cazzy. ..duh.

Alright...I'll work on it. She only speaks Spanish and I dont. Always fun lol
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • henapple
    No comprenda espanol...I can name several tools but that's about it. Years ago I could read a tape measure in Spanish. ..
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    If it's that good I have long-distance relatives that can sort it out!  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    looks great, homemade tortillas are so good. 
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    @cazzy, hook me up brah. Espanol es A-OK. My wife is Puerto Rican. I'm guessing it has lard.
  • henapple
    Mine was flour, baking powder, crisco and hot water.
  • Eggcelsior
    henapple said:

Mine was flour, baking powder, crisco and hot water.

3 cups all-purpose flour
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1 teaspoon salt
    4 to 6 tablespoons lard or vegetable shortening
    1 1/4 cups warm water (approximate)

This is the one I've used. From what's cooking America.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    edited January 2014
    Looks tasty! Bookmarked for tortilla recipes. Bring 'em.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • henapple
    Would be great with butter and honey.
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    cazzy said:

henapple said:

@Cazzy. ..duh.

My mil used to make great flour tortillas, but now heb sells great raw ones over by the eggs. She had stopped since then. Still makes killer tamales. When you are in salado, be sure to stick up, they are cheap.

Her recipe was flour, Crisco, and boiling hot water. Make small bollilos, then roll the balls into tortillas. If your using them right away, on a med-high skillet cook until bubbles just start, flip. Cook until white, flip, cook until just right. If storing for later, quickly sear each side and stack with paper towel peices to seperate.

Heb is similar, but uses beef lard. Ho lee sh**
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Eggcelsior

cazzy said:

henapple said:

@Cazzy. ..duh.

My mil used to make great flour tortillas, but now heb sells great raw ones over by the eggs. She had stopped since then. Still makes killer tamales. When you are in salado, be sure to stick up, they are cheap.

Her recipe was flour, Crisco, and boiling hot water. Make small bollilos, then roll the balls into tortillas. If your using them right away, on a med-high skillet cook until bubbles just start, flip. Cook until white, flip, cook until just right. If storing for later, quickly sear each side and stack with paper towel peices to seperate.

Heb is similar, but uses beef lard. Ho lee sh**
    Is Sum Ting Wong?(that media report was so stupid).
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Nice looking tortillas. My wife has made tortillas once, I've never attempted it, but your pictures make me want to. I usually just go to a local Mexican restaurant and get them or go to Taco Cabana.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• henapple
    @Griffin. ..I love taco cabana. My guys get sick of it when I'm with them in Texas.
  • As every good thing in life, flour tortillas have an easy to make recipe. Ingredients are cheap and easy to get also. But the real secret comes with practice. Most of the best flour tortillas I've tried (and I've tried a lot since I'm mexican) are made without measuring any ingredient by the tortilla lady. 

So, start making tortillas once every week, or more often if possible, and after a year or so you'll have a very consistent execution, taste and texture on your tortillas.... and a few extra pounds... hehehe
  • A friend of mine found some uncooked tortilla flats at the store the other day and we pan fried them. I must say that they were a good tasting bridge in the gap between store-bought and fresh-made for the culinary challenged like myself.
    Gittin' there...
  • A friend of mine found some uncooked tortilla flats at the store the other day and we pan fried them. I must say that they were a good tasting bridge in the gap between store-bought and fresh-made for the culinary challenged like myself.
    You can sprinkle some cane sugar and cinnamon over them, pour some "piloncillo" honey or maple sirup, and enjoy some good "buñuelos".