Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT today I had to put down my best friend

Options
13»

Comments

• Grader07
    Grader07 Posts: 264
    Options
    Had to put my lil maltese down in Nov. He was 15 days away from his 15th bday. Very sad day. He knew me sometimes better than i knew myself. Likewise with him too. They truely are a man's best friend and not only at mealtime either. Sorry for your loss Charles----
  • Navymom
    Navymom Posts: 167
    Options
    Sorry for your loss.
    Wear maroon, live maroon, bleed maroon.
    Fightin' Texas Aggies Fly Navy.
    Denton TX
  • chainsaw19
    Options
    Very tough, I lost mine a year ago and I still miss her. Sorry for your loss.
    Large BGE Middletown, MD
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    sorry for your loss.

My pitbull, Tiny Ella Louis, is 5 years old and I know one day she will pass. My wife wants me to look into helping a breeder with a few litters of pits to hopefully find one with a similar temperament. The idea being Tiny could help mold her, tiny has some of the strongest motherly instincts I have ever seen. She is a great teacher and the best dog I have had.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Sorry for your loss! Going to go give my dog a hug right now!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    It stinks man, I had to put my black lab down around this time a year ago.  My wife's basset hound was depressed for a long time as was I. We adopted a great black lab from the humane society that is estimated to be five years old, and while I love the new dog, it will never replace the dog that I had from puppy to the grave.  Sorry for your loss. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Gator_Man
    Gator_Man Posts: 138
    Options
    So sorry for your loss and I'm sure you gave Toby the best home the world could offer! but you are blessed with the memories he has given you. RIP Toby

I'm from North Carolina summer and Okeechobee Florida winter.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

• gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    Sorry for your loss, we went through that in September with our dog.  She lived to be close to 18 years and died in her sleep, the vet said that is fairly rare as lots of dogs need to be put down because they are suffering so much in their final days.

Gerhard
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    Sorry to hear...looks like a real champ...
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • Zaltydog
    Zaltydog Posts: 106
    Options
    That is so hard....so sorry to hear to hear.  Love that picture of him.
  • shadowcaster
    Options
    Sorry for your loss, I have been through it before and it is never easy. I dread this day with my current dog. Just remember, he left this world loving you with everything he had, that is the great thing about dogs, you are their world and it sounds like you gave him a great life.
    Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
  • Charlesmaneri
    Options
    shadowcaster I love you signature ( if dogs don't go to heaven,when I die I want to go wherever they went)
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Options

Very sorry for your loss

Have a 14yr old that has bad days now.

I know the day is comin

Shane

• tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options
    Very  sorry for your loss.  The very worst thing about bringing a pet into the family is that barring unforeseen circumstances, this moment will come.  My golden retriever, Wiley, by my feet as I type, is 12.  He goes everywhere with me.  I've had great goldens for the last 45 years I can feel your pain.
    Santa Paula, CA
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options

So very sorry for your loss.

Wish I had words to help.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• legomyeggo
    Options
    We do dog rescue and have had so many friends we kept ourselves. Painful when we say goodbye. Looks Like you gave your friend a good life and they pay it back. Sorry for your loss.
  • SWVABeanCounter
    Options
    Been there.  Sorry for your loss.  Putting them down is hard, but when it's time, it's the best thing to do.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• pab
    pab Posts: 273
    Options
    I feel your pain Charles. I can tell by the picture that Toby was the best dog in the world. You know he loved you!
    Nerk Ahia LBGE
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Charles it is always tough to lose a long time pal.  You have my sympathy.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • EagleIII
    EagleIII Posts: 415
    Options
    @Charlesmaneri - I know how you feel brother!  We had a Blonde Lab (Bailey) for 12 1/2 years.  AWESOME dog!  She and I spent MANY, MANY hours out by the Egg as the Ribs, Pork Butt or Brisket smoked away.  My chair was next to the Egg, Bailey's spot was next to my chair.  I cannot light that egg without thinking about her.  Every time I light that egg, I pour a "Cooking Bourbon" and  before I take the first sip I hoist that glass to the sky and toast that dog.  It's been 7 months since we put her down and I still think about her every day.  Peace to you brother!
  • _BR_
    _BR_ Posts: 42
    Options
    Very sorry for your loss. It is one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. Here's to Toby. 
  • Charlesmaneri
    Options
    EagleIII   I hear you Toby was my Eggin partner no matter what the weather was rain ,snow,wind,sumer heat he was right by my side I truly going to miss that Dog yeah I will still Egg but not just yet I need a little time to recover it will not be the same egging with out him !!!
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.