Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is this a large or medium BGE?

Hello! Long-time lurker, first-time poster. I have coveted the BGE for a long time because I love to cook and especially when it gets technical. I just took a BBQ 101 class and smoked my first pork butts in a Bradley smoker. They turned out ok but the smoker could barely keep heat and the bisquettes are not cheap. The teacher of the class couldn't rave enough about the versatility of BGEs.

I found a used BGE for sale. It includes a plate setter, nest, and side tables. The person selling it has no clue about ceramic cookers and is selling it for a friend. I've talked him down from $650 to $300. When I asked about the size the seller said, "it is 54+ inch wide span , w a 24in grill". Those measurements don't seem to make sense compared to the numbers I am seeing at http://www.biggreenegg.com/eggs/sizes/.

How can you tell a medium from a large by just looking at it? The XL is obviously a different shape but I can't tell from this guy's picture.

Any help would be appreciated. I look forward to many years of cooking on a BGE and sharing what I learn here.

Thanks!

Comments

• Looks like a medium
    Large BGE Middletown, MD
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    edited January 2014

It's a large.  You can tell by the nest.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Grader07
    Grader07 Posts: 264
    Large has an 18 in grill so id say maybe even an xl
  • Grader07 said:
    Large has an 18 in grill so id say maybe even an xl
    I would agree just using the numbers but it doesn't have the squatty shape of an XL.
  • Grader07
    Grader07 Posts: 264
    Unless its a really old egg. Not sure then
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    I'm betting large by the looks of it, but as said just measure the grid.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • On second glance it does look like a large, can you have him show measurements in a pic, handle seems smaller than large handle which is what threw me off, maybe an older version?
    Large BGE Middletown, MD
  • On second glance it does look like a large, can you have him show measurements in a pic, handle seems smaller than large handle which is what threw me off, maybe an older version?
    Thanks for the responses! I am hoping to go see it in person soon. The seller is out of town until Friday. I've looked at Bubba Tim's Egg Book guide to know what to pay for a used egg. We might have to re-enter the negotiation stage again.

Thanks again!
  • Check carefully for exterior cracks.  You will not have a warranty on this egg, an exterior crack pretty much makes it a costly venture. IMO 

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Listen to Smitty, it is a large  :-)
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    The seller's foot is on the riser of the nest. On Large and XL nests a riser brace is added to support the extra weight (it runs parallel to the riser). As Smitty pointed out, this means it would have to be at least a large and the shape rules out an XL despite the stated 24" measurement the seller provided. I suspect the seller eye balled the outside diameter of the Egg (even though even that is about 21 1/2") and came up with 24".

The narrow handle means it is a 2011 model or older. If the cooking grid is the original check to see if it is stainless (started in 2011 models) or porcelain coated (2010 or earlier). Other indicators of age you can look for would be a firebox with no split in it and no spring assist on the hinge. Those items disappeared before my time with Eggs but someone else can probably chime in on how long ago those were around.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • R2Egg2Q said:
    The seller's foot is on the riser of the nest. On Large and XL nests a riser brace is added to support the extra weight (it runs parallel to the riser). As Smitty pointed out, this means it would have to be at least a large and the shape rules out an XL despite the stated 24" measurement the seller provided. I suspect the seller eye balled the outside diameter of the Egg (even though even that is about 21 1/2") and came up with 24".

The narrow handle means it is a 2011 model or older. If the cooking grid is the original check to see if it is stainless (started in 2011 models) or porcelain coated (2010 or earlier). Other indicators of age you can look for would be a firebox with no split in it and no spring assist on the hinge. Those items disappeared before my time with Eggs but someone else can probably chime in on how long ago those were around.
    Very helpful, thank you!
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    It's a large.....no doubt about it.
  • Large
    Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821
    I'd jump on it at $300.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I'd jump on it also
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    I would load it in my truck...
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX