Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you had a hoppy Easter and are ready to spring into warm weather cooking mode! There’s nothing better than spending time outdoors with the sweet aroma of fresh cooked Ribs. Baseball season is also underway, so it's the perfect time to try out some chicken wing variations! We have Jamaican Jerk, Lemon Pepper, Fired-Up Wings and even a Whiskey Onion and Chicken Steak if wings aren't your thing. Bon appetit!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Garage lip and table issues

So this is way off topic..ish. I store my egg table in my garage. The problem is that there's a little lip by the door to keep water on the outside of the garage. To get my table out and put it away I have to go over said lip, when I do my eggs shake..and that freaks me out. So...what is the easiest way to get a "ramp" over the lip to help the egg be smooth from outside garage..to inside garage. I thought about getting think plywood...but I'm not sure if that's a good route to go
·

Comments

• TUTTLE871TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    I used to drag it also over the dreaded lip as well. That was when it was in the nest so I just bought a cover and covered it. Then built a table a few months later. I found a real thick cover at SAMs for around 25 bucks and its still holding up after two years.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

·
  • I did the move in and out of garage with Egg in my built table for a few seasons until my back deck was done last summer. The table with the slate and egg was damn heavy, but to risk not cracking the egg I gave it a slight lift on the way out on each side to eliminate this. It was a pain, but well worth risking a crack. Not sure what else you can do. Maybe some silicone to smooth out the sudden quick drop?
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
    ·
  • bud812bud812 Posts: 1,356
    I would get some epoxy made for concrete and make a ramp.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

·
  • Not bad ideas people. Sadly I'm not able to leave it outside..so I guess it'll be me lifting it up and down
    ·
  • What wheels do you have on there? The one end of mine with out wheels I slid a small home made dolly under to move, it had small hard castor wheels, this was the end I had to lift. The end that has wheels have I belive 4" soft inflatable tires. This end was soft over the ledge, and I did not have to worry about.
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
    ·
  • To solve a similar issue at a warehouse, we mixed up some Quikrete and made a ramp. We only made it 3 feet wide so we wouldn't run over it with the cars or trucks. You could also cut a treated 2x4 on an angle an epoxy it to the slab to create a ramp.
    ·
  • The main issue I have with lifting,,is that I have two eggs in the table. So I have to lift...move around and lift again. Could I use cardboard or towel to "fill" in the gap?
    ·
  • Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 4,269
    Pneumatic tires would help greatly

-----------------------------------------

Large BGE. Small BGE Henderson, Ky.
    ·
  • ParallelParallel Posts: 411
    I bought the table nest, now it shakes but it dosen't matter.

Every time my elbow bends my mouth flies open.
    ·
  • My table nest is on top of a paving stone.think its safe parallel? It doesn't move the table nest..but when It wobbles And how would pneumatic tires help?
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 13,814
    Make a small ramp...3/4 plywood. A shim underneath the section next to the lip to match the height.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • Henapple. That's kind of what I was thinking about. It needs to be remove able since it's there for a good reason. But it's be nice to put something down to roll it out, and the like when putting it back
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 13,814
    I keep mine in the garage...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • yzziyzzi Posts: 1,793
    You could always get 3 wedges of some sort and stick them between the egg and table top. No shifting when you go over the bump and nothing permanently stuck on the ground.
    Dunedin, FL
    ·
  • BYS1981BYS1981 Posts: 1,819
    Try installing a gantry at the front of your garage. Should make lifting the table much easier, warehouses do it all the time.
    ·
  • I'm thinking a trip to lowes will be in order tomorrow. Just need to measure the gap and find wood closest to it
    ·
  • I ended up buying 16 gauge sheet metal. It works perfectly..and cheap
    ·