Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Restaurant Recommendations in Macon, GA. ??

Options
dldawes1
dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
Need some ideas of where to eat Saturday evening in Macon area. Thanks in advance, Donnie

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

Comments

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Nu-Way Weiner on Cotton Ave.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    We stopped in a place just south of Macon, Warner Robins, on our way home from Florida and they had pretty good BBQ, I think it was called Georgia Bobs or something like that.  He also had a vineyard next door.  Both the pulled pork and ribs where good.

Gerhard
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    About 30 minutes away is the Whistle Stop Cafe. I've never been but always wanted to
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • LBC Dawg
    LBC Dawg Posts: 116
    Options
    If you want fancy, go to Natalia's. It's off I-75 on Bass Rd. It's really good.  Downtown you've got Tic Toc Room and Dovetail which are nice. The Rookery is under Dovetail, it's a bar and grill. Doughboy is a block away for pizza. Ingleside Village Pizza is really good. Got Smok-n-Pig out at the Macon Mall for bbq. Also have Fincher's bbq and Fresh Air. Marco is another nice restaurant. Then of course ya got all the chain places. Most of those are at the Arkwright Rd exit and down Riverside. 
  • dldawes1
    Options

@ALL....Awesome suggestions.

Everything sounds good. Not much on Italian....El Sombrero Mex,  or Jim Shaw Seafood.  My wife needs something different than BBQ (got my xlBGE for Christmas).

Doughboy and Ingleside sound good for pizza (I've only got to fix one on BGE !!).

I'll check out the Whistlestop.

Decisions, decisions !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks,

Donnie

• LBC Dawg
    Options
    Forgot about Jim Shaws. Love that place. Fish n Pig is out at the lake. combo of Jim Shaws and Satterfields bbq
  • dldawes1
    Options
    @HENAPPLE.....Looks like The Whistle Stop closes at 4pm. It will be around 7:30 before we get there. @GATRAVELLER....We are stopping at the Varsity in Atlanta for a late lunch. My wife has never had that experience !!!!!!

• Coastalcooker
    Options
    I once did that once at year to remember why I didn't do Varsity more often.
    Bob
    Cookin' on the coast
    Shellman Bluff, GA
    Medium BGE

• dldawes1
    Options
    @COASTALCOOKER.....the Varsity is a unique experience....just don't go before/after a game !!!!!!

• bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    edited January 2014
    Options
    @dldawes1    whats the occasion? also what part of town are you staying in?
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • dawsonhull
    Options
    The Downtown Grill is good. Kind of a "hole in the wall" place but great food. I've only been there once and had their filet mignon. If you want BBQ, GA Bob's (several locations) is great.
  • bo31210
    Options
    Grits in Forsyth is always a winner. Steak at downtown grill can't be beat. Salmon at Natalia's is prepared on a big green egg believe it or not. Natalia's is not really Italian in the sense most people think. More of a continental IMO. Best burger in town is the Rookery. Haven't had Dovedown but have heard mixed reviews. Tic Toc I personally can take or leave.

I would look at Grits or Natalia's. Just my .02
  • Willieb9000
    Options
    +1 Natalia's and Rookery burger. Grew up in Maconga and was just back there a couple weeks ago.
    LBGE; Adjustable Rig
    Delaware County, PA
  • 3sheets
    3sheets Posts: 81
    Options
    dldawes1 said:
    Need some ideas of where to eat Saturday evening in Macon area. Thanks in advance, Donnie
    Just go to the Bass Pro Shop and skip dinner.

Location 33.537588, -83.969298 (33.5 miles and 41 minutes SE of the Mothership)

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I lived in Macon as a kid and then had a customer there until about a year ago- I would hit up Natalia's as well. Great town that I have some fond memories of...
    Greensboro, NC
  • dldawes1
    Options

@BO31210.....Just passing thru on our way to FLA. I'm thinking it would be a good place to stop for supper.

Eating a late lunch in Atlanta if the snow melts and then headed for Cocoa Beach before Cruising to Bahamas. on Monday .

• bo31210
    Options
    @dldawes1. Ice should be gone as it is to be in the 60s on Saturday. For a dinner stop passing through I would hit the rookery down town on cherry street. Natalia's is superb but usually runs as a 1.5 to 2 hour meal (and worth every second of it). Grits is a long meal as well. The Rookery has been around for ages and has a great burger. If you get a burger spend a few bucks more and get the rocking chair ranch grass fed beef from a local farm in adjoining Monroe county. Their burgers have some interesting names. Their battered fries are the bomb as well. Let us know what you decide.
  • dldawes1
    Options

@BO31210.....It looks like the Rookery gets the vote so far......just reading the menu makes me hungry....

The Jimmie Carter Burger got my attention !!!!!!

Thanks,

Donnie

• LBC Dawg
    Options
    Can't go wrong at the Rookery. Going there for lunch today
  • dldawes1
    Options
    Landed in Port Canaveral from our cruise and headed back home today.

Going to stop at Macon again at my old faithful best choice BBQ joint "Sticky Fingers".

I know I said the wife was burned out on BBQ on the way down last weekend, but now she has come back to her senses. 

Sticky Fingers is awesome, I've eaten there in Chattanooga and Macon and both places were excellent. 

Can't wait to get home and do some egging !!

I am planning on stopping in at Bluegrass in Lexington on Saturday and pick up some Rockwood. I am getting ready to call Mike to see if he still has some available for me.

Later Folks,

Donnie

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Welcome back, how was the cruise?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    Options
    If you go to Sticky Fingerz, tell Bradley Barnes that Andy Flippen said he owes you a beer. :-)
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • dldawes1
    Options
    @ DMW....the cruise was awesome, as always, never had a bad one yet. I like diving and I got to go for an all-dayer in Nassau. I also went in Cococay, but it was nothing special. Stuart Coves Diving in Nassau is a great diveshop.

@ MAYBERRY, sorry I didn't see your post in time. I've been to a couple of Sticky Fingers and both were great ( my favorite, right there with Sweet P's ). Low and Slow in Cocoa Beach is usually good, but I think they reheated the brisket this time and it was watery and not very flavorful, I was a little dissapointed.

My goal is to hit every one of the Sticky Fingers (I collect T-shirts).....several more to go though !!