Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Papa Murphy's w/ Baking Steel Questions

Options
All,
This Saturday is my oldest daughter's birthday and we are expecting about 30 people. I am going to egg wings in the morning(hold in oven) and then make a bunch of dips with the Blendtec for apps. 

I have a 16 inch Baking Steel that I am planning on using. Does anyone have experience with these and a Papa Murphy's pie? I didn't even know PM existed by me until we received a coupon book in the mail so I have never tried it. I am using them for convenience's sake on account of having a lot of other things to do, so making my own is not an option. 

I have searched the forum and seen a few different threads on the PM pies ala egg, but nothing with the BS. I am thinking about cruising along at 475-500. Should I go with the regular or delite? X-nay the steel and get some fire bricks?

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,348
    Options
    No help with the steel-but I try to closely follow PM's cooking temperature suggestions and it works. Given the quantity you are cooking you may find better temps during the course of the party.  Enjoy the event!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options

I cooked my PM stuffed crust on BGE ceramic at temp on PM package. Worked very well and it was delicious.

I do not have a BS. Sorry,

Donnie

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Did either of you guys cook it directly on the grid? I saw that some people did that on the Egg since the directions ask you to cook it directly on the oven rack or grill grate.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    We like PM as an alternative to home made, although the dough I make is a PM knock off. I use my PS and stone when egging a PM and bake at their suggested 425. I also remove it from that paper tray after about 8 minutes so the crust will firm up and brown. I suppose you will be ordering a variety of pizzas, but the Cowboy is our favorite. Good luck!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Thanks @RRP, I am thinking about going to Tractor Supply and grabbing some firebricks to add under the steel or to just use instead.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    Thanks @RRP, I am thinking about going to Tractor Supply and grabbing some firebricks to add under the steel or to just use instead.
    again I can't help, but I forgot to answer the other part. Their regular crust is good, but thick. Their Delite is thin and good. The difference is very noticeable as for the amount of toppings. A regular Cowboy is about twice the weight as a Delite Cowboy but for the same money! When I asked the manager explained how the Delite can not hold the extra ingredients and I believe that is true. So depending on the gender mix at your daughter's party the males will go for the regular and the gals will hit the Delite is my opinion!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    Use the Baking Steel! It will be great. I have one.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    I've cook them raised on the AR @ 500 degrees, both on the steel and on the pizza stone. It will cook faster on the steel. Only took a few minutes, I kept lifting them and checking the bottoms every minute or so after the first 2 minutes, so I didn't burn the crust.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,348
    Options
    @eggcelsior-sorry for the delayed reply-friggin transition from work to home can interfere :) I'm with @RRP-PS legs up, grid then stone.  Should be great, especially given the party eggcitement that will be going on!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • chainsaw19
    Options
    I have a stone if you want to borrow it, just let me know
    Large BGE Middletown, MD
  • bo_mull
    bo_mull Posts: 363
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Papa murphys Chicken Bacon Artichoke Heart pizza is the bomb. I like to cook it at 500-550 indirect raised about 2 inches above felt line on stone for 5 minutes then remove the paper plate and then keep checking the bottom till its good and brown.

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

Plate setter legs down, spacers and then your stone. 500 F, take the tray out after about 8 minutes.

We're a big fan of the deLite crust. Thinner crust and IMHO better. We usually get the cowboy or one of their chicken ones with their creamy garlic sauce.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    The baking steel should be good for multiple pies since it retains heat very well. I do think you need to have pizza tonight or tomorrow so you can do a test run.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • fletcherfam
    Options
    I have done quite a few of pm press on the egg. All turned out great. I cook at 450ish dome. They do cook quicker, maybe 12 minutes. They will revolutionize how you eat a pm pizza.

I do PS legs up, grid, then baking steel.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,046
    Options
    @Eggcelsior for the win
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS