Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

WOW MAPP TORCH!!!!

Jeffroe189
Jeffroe189 Posts: 273
edited January 2014 in EggHead Forum
So we recently decide with propane prices going up to get away for using a gas hot water heater and move to electric. I was at Lowes today getting some parts for the new water heater and it seemed like a great time to convince the wife to get a Mapp propane torch to use around the house. I really just wanted it for the egg and this was a good excuses. I have been using paper towels soaked in oil for the last 6 to 8 months which has been working great. I usually just fold them, soak them, and light them. Then come back in about 10 to 15 min and close the lid. Well I used the Mapp gas tonight and WOW I got the lump lit in maybe 30 to 45 sec and let it burn for maybe 5 min and closed the lid and was up to temp in 5 min. What used to take 20 to 30 min was done in 10 tonight. This could be the best purchase since the Adjustable Rig and Thermo Pen. 

BOTTOM LINE is if you don't have one BUY ONE!!! It is well worth the $45.
Jeff from Winston-Salem, NC  - LBGE, MiniMax, Blackstone

Comments

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Did ya get the 4000 or 8000?
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    i agree, very effective. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD

• Did ya get the 4000 or 8000?
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    +1 on the 8000.  I got one for Christmas and for me it is a game changer.  Way faster and easier.  Good in the fireplace too!
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Just a safety note with map that doesn't get mentioned much. Wear safety glasses. 

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Very true @Little Steven, they do get sparky!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273

I thought about getting a map torch.  Looked at the prices, thought I would wait a bit.  Now - with the safety glass message - really backing off.

I would never be able to keep up with the safety glasses...

Cookin in Texas
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Personally, I've thought about getting a torch of some kind, but I'm usually not in such a rush 20 minutes make or breaks me.

If I need to get a fire going fast I can use oil rag then my stoker and saveymy $50.
  • Crispix49
    Crispix49 Posts: 191
    ...and make sure you are not wearing a nice shirt.  Burned a couple holes in a couple shirts from the sparks flying back. 
    Atlanta suburbs
    Large & Mini owner
    UGA Alum - Go Dawgs!
  • revolver1
    revolver1 Posts: 372
    I'm not in a rush.  The Rutland squares work just fine at about 0.10/start.  
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    The weed torch from Harbor Freight works great too!  Up to temp in no time.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    If I save 10 minutes every time I start my egg for a year, that would amount to a total time savings of 30 minutes per week or 26 hours per year. Let's say the life expectancy of a mapp torch is 10 years. If that is true, that would mean that my $50 investment would save about 10 days of wasted time every decade. Would you spend $50 to get 10 days of your life back every 10 years? I would. :)
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Don't know about you but I don't waste the time it takes for the fire to start, I prep the food, chase the wife around the kitchen, chat up my kids....Plenty to do while the fire gets it's groove on.

Now, if I just stood around the BGE staring at the slowly building fire than I too would be wasting my time.....

Though, sometime I just need to do exactly that at the end of a busy day....
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    I guess i don't look it in terms of just time.  When I used the Chimney, Ii had to lay the fire in the egg ad fill the chimney. In this weather I then need to clear a place from snow to set the chimney, light it, then wait 10 minutes or so to get going  Maybe I need to add a second sheet of newspaper.  Then I dump the chimney into the egg, and wait for the fire to spread and the egg to stabilize.

With the torch, i just fill the egg, light it with the torch, and wait for it to stabilize.  For me it is just fewer steps,fewer trips in and out of the house in the winter, and MUCH easier.  To each his own, but it made my life easier.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • tarheelmatt
    @cookinbob - I couldn't agree more. 

Had an instance at New Years where I was behind on cooking and needed to cook some grilled chicken.  The Weed Torch helped me get to 400° stablized in a hurry and was grilling in about 10 mins. after. 

Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    I use Propylene Alcohol 91% and when in a hurry use an old hair dryer to get the air flowing. It's up in running in no time at all. No issues with sparks as you can have lid closed.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I use mine on my Mini. For the Larges: image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Like cookinbob said its just less steps for me. It make cooking dinner much quicker when I get home At 5:30. I would find myself not wanting to cook on the egg during the week just because I would have to go out several times to get the grill ready. Now just light it and it's going in no time.

I have noticed the sparks. They are a little out of hand sometimes.

Plus I don't have to get the paper towels out and soak them in oil and make a mess. I will also use this for more things than just lighting the egg and I a new bottle is only 9.99 so if that will last me several mounths then it will prob be about the same as buying the starter cubes.

In the end if it will make me more willing to fire up the egg more it's a no brainer for me.

O did I mention it's bad ass an fun to play with. Lol
  • Mickey
    Sparks. No sparks here. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Yes I only carry a small fire deductible, why????

• tarheelmatt
    @Mickey - Hopefully they do not scan these forums!
    :-\"
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806

I use the Bernzo TS4000 that uses either MAP or propane.  I go with propane just because it's far less expensive (about $3 a bottle) and still does the job in no time.  I prefer the torch method for ease, reliability, it's quick and I don't want any reliance on electricity.

As far as time saved, it wouldn't bother me on low and slows, but on those weeknight hot and fast cooks when you get home from work and need to get something on quick, burgers, steaks, chicken, whatever, the torch is a lifesaver. 

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    edited January 2014
    I thought about getting a MAPP Torch, but I decided to try rubbing alcohol instead. All I can get at my local store is the 70% instead of the 90%.

It works like a charm, and I will never use starter cubes again. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821
    One thing I've found is that if I bury the nozzle of the torch into the charcoal as opposed to lighting the top of the charcoal I end up with much less sparking. It's due to the sparks being contained  by the unlit charcoal around it.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser