Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Baked Potato?

Anyone ever smoke baked potatoes? Good?  How long?  Thinking of doing some with a pork shoulder this wk-end.

XL Egg Owner Since Dec 2013 - Louisiana

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Yes and yes. Potatoes on the bottom and bacon on the top rack...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • corey24
    corey24 Posts: 386
    How long for potatoes at around 250?

• I'd say a couple of hours, hour and a half.  I've done them at 350 for an hour.

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• chashans
    chashans Posts: 418
    They are good also rubbed down with bacon grease and then wrapped in foil. Mine cooked for about 90 minutes at 350F dome. Indirect, legs up on the grid. The skins were nicely charred and had a very nice flavor. I am guessing at 250 for at least 2 hrs.
    LARGE, MINI BGE    SAN DIEGO, CA            An alcoholic with a barbecuing problem.

• Budgeezer
    Budgeezer Posts: 669
    We soak in a brine then smoke @ 350 indirect, usually on a rack under a chicken for country ribs. Here is a link to a recipe we just used the egg instead of the oven:  http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/the-bomb-bakers-recipe.html 
    Edina, MN

• I've done them with ribs, at @250 for 2.5 hours, so about halfway throught the rib cook, and they were fantastic.  Even injected them the last 30 minutes with some melted butter.  I'm not sure the butter added anything, but it was fun to do.
    Pentwater, MI
  • corey24
    Thanks guys!!

• I douse them in evoo. Cover them good in kosher salt. Raised direct around 400. Till 200 IT. Awesome.
    Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • I've done them @ 350 for an hour. Rubbed with olive oil and sprinkled with kosher salt. They're like a baked potato you'd get from a high end steak house.
  • flemster
    flemster Posts: 269
    Yes to all the above... they are great
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120
  • EVO and Salt or Byrons But Rub, 400 indirect till 210 IT.  Or if you are cooking direct, cook on a raised grid for a while, then wrap in foil to finish.  Good Stuff.
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • corey24
    So does seasoning on outside make any difference on inside? Does seasoning penetrate.....

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    Budgeezer said:
    We soak in a brine then smoke @ 350 indirect, usually on a rack under a chicken for country ribs. Here is a link to a recipe we just used the egg instead of the oven:  http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/the-bomb-bakers-recipe.html 

That link was blank for me, so I'll ask you: did you prick the spud skin before brining?  Have not heard of that before, but I'm intrigued.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• chashans
    Botch said:
    Budgeezer said:

That link was blank for me, so I'll ask you: did you prick the spud skin before brining?  Have not heard of that before, but I'm intrigued.  
    I Googled it and found a link:  
    LARGE, MINI BGE    SAN DIEGO, CA            An alcoholic with a barbecuing problem.

• chashans
    The link did not post above...so here it is:  

• chashans
    For some reason the link is not posting. One final try:  

• chashans
    Google "baked potato brine" and it will come up.

• chashans
    Ingredients
    1 1/4 cups kosher salt
    6 medium russet potatoes, washed
    2 tablespoons garlic salt
    2 tablespoons seasoned salt
    1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    Horseradish Sour Cream, recipe follows
    Horseradish Sour Cream:
    2 cups sour cream
    4 tablespoons prepared horseradish
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    Directions
    In large mixing bowl dissolve 1 cup kosher salt in 8 cups of water. Add potatoes. Insure that all potatoes are submerged, and brine for 2 to 8 hours.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Remove the potatoes from brine and liberally coat with the remaining kosher salt, garlic salt, seasoned salt, and pepper.

Place the potatoes on a wire rack in the center of the oven and bake for 45 minutes. Do not puncture skin with tongs, fork, or tooth picks. Potatoes will be soft to the touch when done.

Let potatoes rest 5 minutes before cutting.

Horseradish Sour Cream:
    Combine all ingredients. Serve wi

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/the-bomb-bakers-recipe.html?oc=linkback

• smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    We love twice baked potatoes on the egg. Raised, direct @ 400. I puncture the spud with a fork in a few different places. Rub EVO all over the spud, sprinkle salt and pepper and garlic salt on the skin. Roll them around on the grate a few times while it is grilling. About one hour later they are done. Rest them for about 10 minutes and then slice them in half and scoop out the meat. I use a small ice cream scooper. Mix all the meat with some butter, milk and cheese. Then scoop this back into the skins and grated cheese on top of that, back on the egg for another 20 minutes or until the cheese melts good.
    If you enjoy eating the skin of the potato, the S&P, and garlic salt on it is very good.

Cheers
    Large, small, and a mini