Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Everyone should make Spatchcock Chicken

Options
TUTTLE871
TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
edited January 2014 in EggHead Forum
Ok I've been doing these since my second day of owning my egg and I will probably continue till the day I depart this planet of ours. My wife told me we need to eat some healthier things after we heard my dad has to go in Friday and get 2 stents and then a good friend of ours is getting 3 bypasses. We do try to eat healthy most of the time but I get wild hairs and Start wrapping bacon around ribs and eating crisco out of a can (kidding). 
 Tonight did a spatch chicken with @mickeys coffee rub (wife says its the go to stuff) cooked 400 raised direct to temp as usual it was outstanding. Wife brought home quinoa and asked me to figure it out, cooked it up in fat free chicken broth with broccoli and left over chick peas, used a little red pepper some grated Parmesan cheese and that's it. Did up some Brussels sprouts in some spicy EVOO and garlic. Everything came out pretty damn good and the wife was very happy. 
 I did cover the liver up though with the rub and threw that on also, ate it while the wife wasn't looking.image

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

Comments

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    edited January 2014
    Options
    nt

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    Nice burd
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    looks good.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • cortguitarman
    Options
    Have you tried skinless spatchcock chicken? It's a whole other level of awesome!
    Mark Annville, PA
  • TUTTLE871
    Options
    I haven't don't it skinless yet, we don't eat the skin anyways, I usually season under the skin so it holds all the flavor in.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• cortguitarman
    Options
    I promise you won't miss the skin. More of the rub gets on the meat. The chicken is as moist as with skin. You'll actually get more flavor without the skin and you'll have less fat rendered on your chicken.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    Options
    Looks great. It's amazing how such a simple cook tastes so great. I like a to throw a few pecan chunks on the fire and it turns out great.
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options
    Nice bird.
    Cookin in Texas
  • TUTTLE871
    Options
    I usually toss in some pecan and this time I had some peach wood I brought home from the lake this weekend and tried that. Turned out pretty good.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Quinoa belongs on the bottom of a shoe not in my belly  :)

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Timbo66
    Timbo66 Posts: 109
    Options
    Looks great. Did the same a few weeks ago.
    Large Egg, Warner Robins,Ga
  • pretzelb
    pretzelb Posts: 158
    Options
    When you say "raised direct" does that mean you have an add-on for the regular grill to bring it higher in the dome? I'm interested in trying this after having some amazing chicken at a fancy restaurant but I'm not sure of the steps yet. 
    XL egg owner, home brewer, jogger, coffee roaster, gamer 
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    pretzelb said:

When you say "raised direct" does that mean you have an add-on for the regular grill to bring it higher in the dome? I'm interested in trying this after having some amazing chicken at a fancy restaurant but I'm not sure of the steps yet. 

Look up adjustable rig. It allows you to raise the grid.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    Mickey's rub and spatch'd chicken are a match made in heaven.....Your cook looks so good.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • DoofusOfTheDay
    Options
    A little over an hour when raised direct at 400?
    Gregg
    Large BGE Owner since December of 2013!
    Marietta, GA
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited January 2014
    Options
    pretzelb said:
    pretzelb, yes, typically raised to the gasket level. There are a number of ways to do it; adjustable rig, woo, a couple of bricks, carriage bolts, or some other homemade method. If it's a short cook, you can just use less lump, so the fire is farther from the grid. 

I use three of these, cut from some scrap square tubing. Used 'em for 4+ years now.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• TheShaytoon
    Options
    pretzelb said:
    pretzelb, yes, typically raised to the gasket level. There are a number of ways to do it; adjustable rig, woo, a couple of bricks, carriage bolts, or some other homemade method. If it's a short cook, you can just use less lump, so the fire is farther from the grid. 

I use three of these, cut from some scrap square tubing. Used 'em for 4+ years now.

Freaking GENIUS! 

I have a very hard time engaging in passive relaxation. Twitter.Instagram.
    Dallas, TX

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,835
    Options

"Freaking GENIUS!"

+1

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• pretzelb
    pretzelb Posts: 158
    Options
    pretzelb said:

Thanks for the clarification. I searched for a few more posts on the subject and found nearly all say "raised". I was planning to buy some extras from Ceramic Grill Store anyway so once I do this will be something I can try. I was going to wait before buying extras but I'm eager to try this.
    XL egg owner, home brewer, jogger, coffee roaster, gamer 
  • ShadowNick
    Options
    Have you tried skinless spatchcock chicken? It's a whole other level of awesome!
    Can you do skinless raised direct or does it need to be indirect?
    Pentwater, MI
  • TUTTLE871
    Options
    Yes I do have the adjustable rig from ceramic grill store, but using square tubing is genius.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• TUTTLE871
    Options
    A little over an hour when raised direct at 400?

I would say but I cook to temp, if your don not have a thermapen look into investing in one. Was the best tool I have acquired for cooking

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.