Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Picnic for a friend - What would you do

Co-worker says: Next time you are firing up your smoker, let me give you a pork shoulder to put on for me.

So today I said I was doing an overnighter and he ran home and brought me this.. freezer burn and all.

I told him I don't think this will be any good.. he said it'll be fine.

Pretty sure I will not be proud to say I cooked this.  I think I am going to the store and getting a fresh picnic and not telling him. 
Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
     I don't know but I understand the dillemma

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    +1 with LS, not sure it would even thaw in time.  

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    Good point.  Before he brought it to me I had already decided I was going to go get a fresh one and keep the frozen for myself.  Now I think the frozen needs to be thrown out.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Cooks illustrated did a test where they tested how long frozen food remains good, pretty sure all were under a year, lol!
  • rtt121
    I can't imagine it will taste good.  I will buy him another and tell him not to do that again.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    rtt121 said:
    Good point.  Before he brought it to me I had already decided I was going to go get a fresh one and keep the frozen for myself.  Now I think the frozen needs to be thrown out.

Stick it on frozen. The cooler mass will hold the temp down and you will get a better smoke ring in the others. The freezer burn won't affect the taste cause it will turn to bark anyway. Bag it and give it to him and see if he can tell the difference. It will take a few hours longer to finish.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Throw out the shoulder from 2012.  Buy another one and cook it.  When you give it to the person, tell him you threw his away because it was over a year old and didn't want to give him any food that wouldn't taste good or worse yet get someone sick.  He will understand and bring your fresh ones from now on.  If he doesn't understand, he will be so impressed with the results he will think you are correct or he will never ask you again.  Either way you win.  
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    you guys are all nuts, cook the darn thing :)) worst that can happen is that it needs more sauce
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • rtt121
    Plenty of room on the XL. 

I bought another one for my friend.  But I will cook this one from 2012 and send it to @fishlessman
  • corey24
    corey24 Posts: 386
    If you could get it thawed in time wouldn't hurt to cook it.  The Egg is already going so no money lost other than what it takes to rub it with seasoning.  You should cook frozen one and new one and compare.  Don't think frozen one could be harmful if it's been in freezer.....maybe a little freezer burn.

XL Egg Owner Since Dec 2013 - Louisiana

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,797

"Stick it on frozen. The cooler mass will hold the temp down and you will get a better smoke ring in the others. The freezer burn won't affect the taste cause it will turn to bark anyway. Bag it and give it to him and see if he can tell the difference. It will take a few hours longer to finish."

That's what I would do.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    How good of a friend?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • henapple said:
    How good of a friend?
    Excellent question indeed.
    Gregg
    Large BGE Owner since December of 2013!
    Marietta, GA