Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s that time of year again-time to hop on out to your backyard for an EGG hunt. If you’re lucky, you’ll only have to search as far as your patio! Planning on cooking Easter Sunday? Check out our Easter Menu. If you’re looking for a sweet treat to enjoy with the whole family, try at least one of our sweet treats, if not both: Grilled Peeps & Carrot Cupcakes. Lastly, if you’re having company, our Pinterest page has lots of ideas for entertaining. We hope you have an EGGstra tasty holiday!

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

New toy just arrived......Thermapen!

Are these all they are cracked up to be?  I had a thermometer from Lowes and it seemed to do ok in larger cuts of meat but always inconsistent in smaller.  Ended up with over cooked food.....Hope this is a cure!  Good for steaks??

XL Egg Owner Since Dec 2013 - Louisiana

·

Comments

• WeberWho?WeberWho? Posts: 1,467
    edited January 2014
    Fantastic tool for steaks! Well worth the money.
    ·
  • Chris_WangChris_Wang Posts: 1,253
    Only accessory that can be used with every cook. Great investment.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

·
  • smokesniffersmokesniffer Posts: 1,705
    edited January 2014
    GETTER DONE! you won't  regret it. Remember, you want to cook to temperature, not tme.
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 10,510
    You'll be amazed at the ways it can improve many things, not just overcooked meat. I use it for tea and coffee, they've never been better.
    ·
  • corey24corey24 Posts: 317
    So excited to start using it.......

·
  • jfm0830jfm0830 Posts: 936
    Picked one up a few months ago and I have noticed the difference between the Thermapen and two other instant read thermos in same general price range. The Thermapen finds the temp a bit faster and with less bouncing around before it locks in the final temp. I am quite pleased with it so far. Hope you enjoy using yours!
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
    ·
  • Many cooking shows use a thermopen.

I use it for soil, water heater, beer, freezer, fridge the list goes on and on.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

·
  • YEMTreyYEMTrey Posts: 2,110
    Now that you have your thermapen, get yo ass to the butcher and buy a couple nice two inch thick steaks and cook them to temp!
    XL BGE and Mini Max in Cincinnati, Ohio
    "REMEMBER DUANE ALLMAN"
    ·
  • r2davis65r2davis65 Posts: 129
    Seems to be good tool.
    ·
    YEMTrey said:
    Now that you have your thermapen, get yo ass to the butcher and buy a couple nice two inch thick steaks and cook them to temp!
    Will happen this week for sure! Got a chicken for spatchcock, Pork Butt, & couple of steaks as well.  Most looking forward to trying a reverse sear using Thermapen.

·
  • TackmanTackman Posts: 223
    If you are not feeling well, you can check your own temp with it. Upstairs, not downstairs. Then again, it's your thermapen, use it as you see fit...
    Cleveland, Ohio
    ·
    Lol....

·
  • corb69corb69 Posts: 138
    Got one for Christmas. Can't wait for it too warm up so I can use it.
    ·