Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Swimming Upstream (salmon)

Finally got around to doing some salmon on the BGE - man this was good.  I basically followed the recipe here:

It looked really good to me and relatively easy.  You basically develop a glaze that's a mix of brown sugar, soy sauce, sesame oil, and mustard.  Then you cook the salmon direct for about 8 minutes.  The only thing I changed up was that instead of S&P, I pasted the fish with some of DP's Raging River Rub.  I let the rub sit in a good half hour before putting the salmon on the grill.

The recipe calls for direct cooking over medium heat (WTH - it's a BGE recipe - can't you say what your dome temp is???), so I set it up at 450 dome.  That might have been a bit hot, but these came out absolutely perfect so I can't complain.  The recipe also calls to flip them after about six minutes, but they were already a bit too flaky for me to do that, so I just left them on another two.  Here's the pic of them fresh off the BGE:

I made some wasabi mashed potatoes to go with:

These were great!  Super easy and just a little bit of heat.  Here's the plated pic:

Definitely a must-do-again.  The salmon had just the right amount of flakiness to it, while still being very moist.  The glaze is just about perfect.  SWMBO (who doesn't like seafood) actually ate a serving of this, so that's a win.  

Not sure why it took me this long to cook salmon on the Egg.  It's a crowd-pleaser.  
"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

Comments