Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

turkey wars begin

Options
Sandbagger
Sandbagger Posts: 977
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
It's Wednesday and time for the weekly grocery store flyers. Add November to the mix and walla, turkey hits the front pages. So, that begs the question, outside of fresh vs. frozen, noninjected vs. injected, is turkey.... turkey?[p]Or, is one brand/grower better than another, (butterball for example)? Or, is one size better than an other....Or better yet, are turkeys graded in some fashion? [p]I think I got lunch figured out, a turkey sandwhich!. T

Comments

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Sandbagger,
    I always just cook the turkey breast...I like the plain store brand better then butterball.I just rub them with olive oil and coat them with DP Raging River rub.I enjoyed talking to you at Eggtoberfest Tom.
    Larry

[ul][li]Turkey Breast[/ul]
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    Sandbagger,
    for the egg i like an 18 pound free range fresh turkey roasted at 325-350. usually smoke one in the egg and cook one in the oven for guests that claim not to like smoked meat and devour the egged bird. for my old water smoker, i would rather have a frozen kosher style turkey as it always seemed to work out better slowsmoked at 225 in that cooker.ive cooked them low and slow, at roasting temps, at high temps, upside down, upsidown and flipped during the cook, and upside right. the birds ive been getting from the farm down the street are small boned but longer than the typical butterball. over 20 pounds and it might not fit in the egg lengthwise

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Sandbagger,
    here is the link to how i do them. . ..i like fresh kill turkeys (i've become partial to 'shady brook farms'. . .always get nice, consistent juicy birds (at the safeway). ...[p]i don't brine, cause i am too lazy. ...and i don't want the salt messing up my drippings and resultant gravy. ...[p]just my 2 cents. ..

[ul][li]http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxturkey.htm[/ul]
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Sandbagger,
    We always use a fresh turkey breast. I sure don't miss that part of the grocery business. It would probably amaze you if you knew how long those suckers have frozen.[p]Mike

• Sandbagger
    Options
    YB, good to chat again. I scrolled through the photos but why do the turkey breasts in the egg look white in the last shot. Are they foiled? Tom

• bbqwizard
    Options
    Sandbagger,[p]could be cheese cloth.[p]phillip
  • Egg_Head
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]I just got an egg for the first time and want to to a turkey for Thanksgiving, I read your link, where do I get a "plate setter". Do I put it on the bottom grill and surround it with charcoal? Any help would be appreciated.[p]Thanks[p]Art

• Sandbagger
    Options
    Art, check with your dealer. Here is the bge link for a picture of the plate setter. I recommend buying one locally. Some have suggested the platesetter does not ship easily. Tom

[ul][li]what's new link above[/ul]