Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s that time of year again-time to hop on out to your backyard for an EGG hunt. If you’re lucky, you’ll only have to search as far as your patio! Planning on cooking Easter Sunday? Check out our Easter Menu. If you’re looking for a sweet treat to enjoy with the whole family, try at least one of our sweet treats, if not both: Grilled Peeps & Carrot Cupcakes. Lastly, if you’re having company, our Pinterest page has lots of ideas for entertaining. We hope you have an EGGstra tasty holiday!

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Spatchcock Temperature question

jhl192jhl192 Posts: 790
Cooked my first two Spatchcock Chickens last night.  370 degrees on the raised grid AR for just over an hour.  Cooked one with Weber Kick Chicken rub and one with DizzyPig Tsunami Spin.  One chicken was a couple pounds heavier than the other and took bit longer.  (BTW the wife really liked the DP Tsunami Spin over the Kicken Chicken).  

Question is this.  When the breast IT hit 160 the thigh IT was 198.  The taste was great and it was plenty juicy.  I have heard the thigh internal temperature should be 185.  Is there a way to raise or lower the grid or tie the chicken to get closer to the 185 when the breast hits 160?  Would cooking at 350 give me a closer delta?  
XL BGE; Medium BGE 
photo (1).JPG 433.3K
·

Comments

• What I try to do is start the fire in the back of the egg.  Then make sure the back end of the birds point that way.  I cook them on the grid (not raised) at 350-360 dome for about 1 hour 15 mins.  The temp of the breast hits 165 and thigh about 180ish about the same time.  Always juicy and crispy!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at http://familycookbookproject.com
    ·
  • billyraybillyray Posts: 1,120
    Since you have the AR, put your round stock grid on top to raise it higher than you show. I agree with placing the legs towards the back and I cook at 400 direct.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small and waiting on a mini
    ·