Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Noobie Pork Loin

Cold weekend and flurries in the forecast for Sunday in Delaware proved the right time to try my noob hand at pork loin.  This was my 2nd cook on the holiday gifted BGE, following 2 weeks on the heels of the inaugural voyage of baby backs (turned out amazing, but no post for that one . . . just getting started here).  

Started with a 4.5 loin purchased Friday evening at BJ's Wholesale Club.  Had planned to get bone-in/attached, but had to audible out based on lack of availability.  Cries of "Omaha!!  Omaha!!" startled some shoppers but I wasn't going home empty handed.

Rubbed the loin Saturday morning with a mix of McCormacks Bourbon Brown Sugar (also purchased at BJ's) and Bone Sucking Rub (left over from the aforementioned baby backs)  Used an approx. 3:1 ratio, covering the meat entirely.

Slathered the loin Sunday morning with a mix of French's Yellow Mustard, curry ketchup and apricot preserves (4:2:2 or so . . . it's what was on hand and remaining in the bottles/jar I pulled from the fridge).

Loaded the loin into the BGE around 4:30 p.m. Sunday.  300 degrees on the button, chunk hickory for smoke.  My [somewhat irrational] fear of drying it out led me (against my instincts) to beer.  Used our a local favorite -- Twin Lakes IPA -- in a 1:2 ratio (one for the drip pan, 2 for the chef).

Pulled the loin off just prior to the 2 hour mark, as it hit 140 degrees.  Rested it for 15 minutes.  Sliced, served.  It was beyond tasty; hard to reconcile how it could be simultaneously so juicy and smoky.  Not the least bit dry.  Family was blown away.  [Daughter 13 y/o says it was her favorite dinner EVER, son 15 ate and ate, wife of indeterminate age was again pleased at her choice of BGE gift for me.]

Thoughts on whether the slather was required?  And the drip pan?  My biggest concern with the loin was drying it out . . . didn't want to use a bacon weave on the first attempt; didn't want to brine it either.  Based on results (and absent any remarkable suggestions), I think I might experiment with rubs and slathers and leave the brining and weaving to others.  This was one amazing piece of meat, if I do say so myself.  (And I do.)  

Thanks to all for prior posts, which inspired me to cook this beast.  And apologies if the pix didn't load properly . . . I'm a noobie afterall.

It's a 302 thing . . .

Comments